Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Light - Heat Sensor

Options
  • 12-10-2011 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I have a 200 watt halogen floodlight outside my front door, with a PIR motion sensor attached.

It was working OK up to a few weeks ago - but now, if there is a breeze blowing, it is continually switching on. I suspect it is a nearby, rapidly growing tree is the problem - its leaves / branches shaking in the wind.

I have seen security lights with heat sensors (rather than motion sensors): do these work as well as motion sensors, from a security point of view ?

- Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

The heat sensor is looking for heat rather than a movement so in theory wont pick up on the trees leaves blowing. Can you not cut the branches back on the tree if this is what you think is activating the light ?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

altor wrote: »
    The heat sensor is looking for heat rather than a movement so in theory wont pick up on the trees leaves blowing. Can you not cut the branches back on the tree if this is what you think is activating the light ?

I know how the heat sensor works - I am trying to find out if it works as well as a motion sensor, from a security point of view.

I don't want to cut branches back - the tree is shaping up nicely (copper beech)

Advertisement