Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of this Gaming Build?

Options
  • 12-10-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi Lads, Just though I would ask your opinion on this build I am currently working on.

CoolerMaster Gladiator 600 Case
    OCZ 600W ModXStream Pro Power Supply, Modular
    Corsair 4GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 RAM
    LG 22x SATA DVD Drive
    AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2GHz - Black Edition
    ASUS M4A79XTD EVO Motherboard
    ZOTAC GF GTS 450 AMP 1GB Graphic Card (Will be bridging with a NVIDIA 560 Ti)
    Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive

Hopefully will be done in time for Skyrim, That's my main priority.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Whats your budget? which parts do you already have?

The processor is still good (for 90odd euros) but if you can afford higher, then the i5's are excellent for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

what do you plan on doing with those graphics cards??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Maybe go for an AM3+ motherboard.

Not sure what your doing with the GPU's either. That 560 TI is a good card on its own and will offer the best match for your CPU.

The 955 is a good cpu and plenty overclock room. Big power draw when you do and can get fairly hot so need a good cooler. If you do plan on overcloking I would suggest a better MB

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Brianc102

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Whats your budget? which parts do you already have?

The processor is still good (for 90odd euros) but if you can afford higher, then the i5's are excellent for gaming.

I have everything except the Hard Drive, Graphics Card and an OS. I don't have a specific budget, I'm just adding money to the fund as I gather it.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    what do you plan on doing with those graphics cards??? :confused:
    deejer wrote: »
    Maybe go for an AM3+ motherboard.

Not sure what your doing with the GPU's either. That 560 TI is a good card on its own and will offer the best match for your CPU.

The 955 is a good cpu and plenty overclock room. Big power draw when you do and can get fairly hot so need a good cooler. If you do plan on overcloking I would suggest a better MB

By "Bridging" I mean SLI Bridging. Second thoughts are sprouting up now about doing it, So I will see once I have it built.

That Motherboard is an AM3 and will be fine for the CPU that I have. I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon since this is my first build.

Same as above, 1st Build, So I don't plan on overclocking either.

Do you guys have any tips for a new guy to PC Building? I'm a bit on the edge about putting everything together as i'm conscious something will go wrong :o

Any help at all would be very much appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I don't think that you can SLI like that, it's more strict than crossfire and even then, the only way that you might manage a gap like that is a lucid chip and even then, it wouldn't be worth your while.
    In other words: Sell the 450 if you already own it.

Where are you buying? There may be better options for some of your stuff (and total budget too).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

if you want advice, i suggest you read this thread and reply appropriately to as many questions as possible.

you cannot SLI a 450 and a 560Ti. for a start, they need to be of the same generation, and then worse still, the same series. SLI is picky enough as it is, even with 2x560Ti's you could end up with an unstable rig. you really want 2 identical cards down to the same maker like palit or eVga or whoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    if you want advice, i suggest you read this thread and reply appropriately to as many questions as possible.

you cannot SLI a 450 and a 560Ti. for a start, they need to be of the same generation, and then worse still, the same series. SLI is picky enough as it is, even with 2x560Ti's you could end up with an unstable rig. you really want 2 identical cards down to the same maker like palit or eVga or whoever.

Untrue. It used to be that way. As it stands, you only need cards of the same model. They can have different clockspeeds and memory sizes, and be from different manufacturers; they'll work fine.

I'm guessing it would be better to just get a 560 Ti first then instead of the 450 :/

And would any of you guys know where I could get a cheap Windows 7? Their £100+ on Amazon.

Software4students give you Home Premium for €45 I believe. If you know anyone in Microsoft you can get the retail version for €22 though. :P

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    Software4students give you Home Premium for €45 I believe. If you know anyone in Microsoft you can get the retail version for €22 though. :P

I can find upgrades to Professional for €45, But I need just a standerd Home Premium, No Upgrade. Thanks Anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You can still do clean install with the upgrades and unlike vista (which had pieces of features in some and not in the other), Home Premium < Professional.

Like Monotype said, you can do a clean install from an Upgrade version. Basically I think you just install it twice or something. I've never done it, but there's plenty of guides online.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Serephucus wrote: »
    Untrue. It used to be that way. As it stands, you only need cards of the same model. They can have different clockspeeds and memory sizes, and be from different manufacturers; they'll work fine.

I thought this was the case! I have a 560ti and was planning on picking up a similar but not exact 560ti for sliing when it i cheaper.

Advertisement