Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Poetry

• 12-10-2011 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Ok so I was wondering what poets you are all doing and which 4 you think will come up in the actual, like as in your own predictions. :P

Who would you like to come up, and who do you just hate?

I'm doing Plath, Kavanagh, Heaney, Rich and Kinsella.

I've finished Plath, Kinsella and Kavanagh and I'm currently doing Rich.

I'm banking on Plath as I thought she was excellent to write about. I detest Kavanagh and Kinsella is only ok. Like Rich so far.

What about yourselves? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

My favorites would be Plath, Frost, Boland and Rich. I hate Kavanagh and we've only just started Heany, but I plan on studying 6 poets. I'd be thrilled if Plath came up and I've a suspicion she will. Frost and Boland came up last year so I don't think they'll come up again so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

We've done Rich, Boland and Heaney and we're going to do Plath and Kavanagh.
    Love Rich but not too fond of the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

How come you're both doing Boland? Can't imagine she'd come up again so soon. :P

Because she's reasonably easy to write about and isn't boring like Kavanagh. I don't think 2012 got a great selection of poets tbh.

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Because she's reasonably easy to write about and isn't boring like Kavanagh. I don't think 2012 got a great selection of poets tbh.

I doubt it aswell. I'm gonna learn Plath, Rich and Kinsella really well I think one of them are bound to come up. There's always at least 1 woman isn't there? :P
    Kinsella has never come up before so he might be a dead cert.

• Advertisement

I'd say Kinsella and Plath could be good ones to bank on then, after that Rich.

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I'd say Kinsella and Plath could be good ones to bank on then, after that Rich.

Everyone seems to think Plath is a dead cert aswell. I can almost feel another Boland incident happening.

I want Rich to come up, she's lovely to write on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 The Educator

I absolutely love Plath's poetry for some reason...!! :) I find it so nice and relaxing! Also Im not one of those people that would just sit at home at the weekend and read some poetry but honestly I relly did enjoy Plath! She is soo good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

I absolutely love Plath's poetry for some reason...!! :) I find it so nice and relaxing! Also Im not one of those people that would just sit at home at the weekend and read some poetry but honestly I relly did enjoy Plath! She is soo good! :)
    She is the most depressing women I have ever heard in my life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

don't waste yere time predicting!! You could get an extra poet done in the time wasted;)

I love her too! She may have dark undertones but when I have to write stuff on her I think it just comes so fluidly for me. :)

Wow reading over that I sound like my english teacher. :L

I put no weight in predictions, I'm still studying 6 so I'll always have a choice of 2 questions.

Manic2 wrote: »
    I love her too! She may have dark undertones but when I have to write stuff on her I think it just comes so fluidly for me. :)

Wow reading over that I sound like my english teacher. :L

I'm hoping that I'll enjoy her! :) There was something about Rich too that I just loved although I can't put my finger on it, and it's weird cause most people don't like her! :D

I'm hoping that I'll enjoy her! :) There was something about Rich too that I just loved although I can't put my finger on it, and it's weird cause most people don't like her! :D

I'm liking Rich as of right now. I've only done Aunt Jennifers Tigers, Living In Sin and Diving Into The Wreck, but they're easy to write about, I like being able to write pages on just reading between the lines. :P

Manic2 wrote: »
    I'm liking Rich as of right now. I've only done Aunt Jennifers Tigers, Living In Sin and Diving Into The Wreck, but they're easy to write about, I like being able to write pages on just reading between the lines. :P

We did Aunt Jennifer's Tigers, Power, From a Survivor (loved this poem), Our Whole Life and Trying To Talk With A Man.
    Didn't really like Our Whole Life but the others were great! From a Survivor is my favourite poem, like by anyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Heaney is an absolute banker.

Heaney is an absolute banker.

Why must his poems all be about the bog?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Do you only write about one of the poets in the exam out of the ones that come up?

Do you only write about one of the poets in the exam out of the ones that come up?

Yep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Just to go a little bit off topic, what should we learn about the poets/poems for the exam? I've an awful teacher and will be doing most of the english poetry by myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

We've only done Boland and Kavanagh so far and I'm not a fan of either tbh, Boland is easier to write about than Patrick 'I love canals' Kavanagh though

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

When I last did the Leaving we had some awesome poets. Boland and Eliot were the standouts.

This year's list is just depressing, But if you want an easy poet Kavanagh's your man. Yeah he's boring and his poems are dreary but if you grit your teeth and wade through it, they're thematically simple, easy to understand, and easily remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

We've not started poetry yet in our class , we're doing that next , once we've finished going over Hamlet. I'm not sure if we'll even get all the poets we need done with my teacher hes really slow and ends up spending most of the class talking .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

We did all of them except Kinsella and Plath. I've heard Kinsella's terrible but I really really want to do Plath just because I've heard shes really enjoyable :( One of my friends said she'd teach me at some point though :) I hate Larkin and Heaney and Kavanagh a bit too, but I liked Rich a lot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

We've done:

- Plath
    - Rich
    - Kavanagh
    - Heaney
    - Larkin
    - Kinsella

Plath, Heaney and Larkin are my favourites!!. No-one else has studied Philip Larkin by the replies on this thread. He's very good in my opinion. Heaney will probably come up i'd imagine, he hasn't been up since 2003..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

^I just said I did, silly :P I didnt like him very much, such a depressing man. :|

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mnop

Plath is one of my favourite poets ever :) I feel it's a bit of JustinBieber fan-girl type of thing.. I really hope she comes up just because I actually can't stop admiring my essay on her and would love to do so in the quiet of an exam room :') <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

Who could hate Larkin?!?!?

• Advertisement
Advertisement