Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tribes is closed

Options
  • 12-10-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I went to go there with a mate tonight after a run and it was all locked up - sign is gone from up over the door too this was at about 8pm.

from their website:
    Tribes Cafe has served its last round of food and drinks!
    The management and staff of TRIBES CAFE would like to extend our deepest gratitude to our fantastic customers for your loyal patronage and support over the years.
    -Thank you to our lunch time customers who enjoyed their soup and half a sandwich with their cup of tea.
    -To our afternoon customers who indulged in our Barry's tea, Cappuccino's, Cafe Latte's and Americano's with their favourite cake or scone.
    -To our hot chocolate fans who pampered themselves with the extra cream and marshmallows.
    -To our evening customers who came in for a latte, to read a paper, read through work notes while chilling to our Cafe music.
    -To our early morning customers, thank you for ordering the wrong orders, taking other people's orders, stealing chips and sandwiches on plates while these orders were waiting to be dropped to the customer that ordered them.
    -Thank you for many moments of great times
    -Thank you to the various social networks and social clubs that used Tribes as their meeting place
    -Thank you to our suppliers.
    Thank you Cork! The end of yet another era for our city.

Thank you Tribes for the hours I've spent in there chatting with mates and catching up with folk.

I loved that place.... often used it as a date venue!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Lived in there as an impoverished teenager when it first opened. Really liked the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

:( Not from Cork but visited this place a ridiculous amount of times over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I'm not surprised they closed. The quality of their stuff went down dramatically over the last number of years. For what was ostensibly a coffee place their coffee was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Owen wrote: »
    Lived in there as an impoverished teenager when it first opened. Really liked the place.

+1, the hours wasted away in there and trying to make the 1 cup of mint hot chocolate last for hours (it was cold outside and we had no place to go!)

I know! Many's the happy day with the old gang in there Brian - yourself, myself, Alan, Paul, Jamie, simple happy days where your only stress was if you got a toastie sandwich, would you have enough for the bus home :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Pity it's gone! Spent many a time in there during college drinking yummy orange hot chocolate but in recent years haven't been in there as much - to be honest I thought it was way overpriced so would usually only go in there after being out for the night. At the same time though I'm suprised it's gone cos it was still the only place you could go to sit down and relax after a few drinks, get a cup of coffee and something to eat.

I wonder will another place be opened up - would do very well being near the Bowery and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

gutted

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Unfortunate - it was a little faded in decor, but still a grand place to meet up with friends after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

BrianjG wrote: »
    trying to make the 1 cup of mint hot chocolate last for hours

you'd have to wonder how good a business model that sort of thing was for the place though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Do you think they are being sarcastic?

Like if more of ye actually bought something? Social Networking is well and good but it fills up seats and discourages potential customers.

• Advertisement

gbee wrote: »
    Do you think they are being sarcastic?

Like if more of ye actually bought something? Social Networking is well and good but it fills up seats and discourages potential customers.

Doubt it, they do mention what the various folk enjoyed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It was a nice little notice they left though wasn't it? Aaaaw I'm sad now:(

Was only in there once or twice tbh, I reckon the coffee docks on Grand Parade must have hit their business somewhat, add in the Big R etc and compared to a few short years ago their turn over may well have been down a decent chunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

We used to always go in after nights out,there was no messers allowed and the hot chicken was yum,dont know where we will go now as dont like bk and mcdonalds late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

My favourite post drinks place for coffee and food.:( I loved that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

sad news, although i havnt been in there in years,
    back in college i spent many afternoons in there counting out 20cent coins to try buy a coffee:)
    or if i was feeling flush maybe even a cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Loved the place back when I was a teenager, but have to admit I haven't really liked it at all in the last few years.

Been there 4-5 times since March, and didn't like it all. Terrible food, bitter coffee and worse service. And it was quite expensive too.

Still, shame to see it go after all this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

Cork needs more cafes that are open late. All we seem to have are pubs.
    Having said that I had avoided Tribes since the staff there treated me and my friend quite badly a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

It's scary to see that the Cork I grew up in is effectively gone now, in terms of nice bars and eateries. I wouldn't want to live there now.

Tribes had nice steak sandwiches, btw. Cheap, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

JaneHudson wrote: »
    Cork needs more cafes that are open late. All we seem to have are pubs.

definitely, I'd love to see more cafes opening. it'd be a great alternative to the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Tribes was a great all rounder until a few years ago. It became a great late night coffee/tea place. Will miss it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Great place to go to after Sweat in Sir Henry's, although I only ever used to buy a cup of tea in there. I'm probably the reason they're closing down. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Shame, I went there quite a lot in my teenage years and in college. I haven't called in so much in recent years though. Had some good times in there!

If anyone's interested, some of the contents of Tribes have ended up at Cloud 9 Discount Warehouse in Little Island. Picked up a funky lamp yesterday with coloured stained glass panels that used to be close to the fire in the back.

They've got some other stuff including a huge mirror with african figure on it which was upstairs in the bathroom, a few ornaments, and they've also got the Coffee Machine from behind the counter - I'd love that one but it's HUGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Walked down Tuckey Street earlier today.

Shocking to see what the place is like now. Huge gaudy sign saying speedo. The entire inside tiled over. Makes me want to cry.

The last thing this cities needs is another ****ing kebab shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

what I will say for speedo; after a late night visit a couple of months ago, is that they really live up to their name. The toilets were still the same though :D

as for tribes, well I think the success of cafe eco in the webworkhouse has shown that there is still a market for a late night cafe in Cork.

sadly, Tribes never did anything to arrest their decline. Same Menu for 15 years and absurdly high prices. Still miss the atmosphere in there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Not sure there was anything wrong with their menu though.

A Bronx burger after a feed of drink was always a welcome sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

Got a bit pricey alright but used to love the hot chicken and the relaxed atmosphere even late at night as no messers were tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

I dunno about messers- my friend started there on a day shift and one of the first jobs she got was cleaning up smeared ****e from the walls of the toilets. Great place for a first date... definitely a gap in the market for somewhere like it to reopen!

• Advertisement
Advertisement