Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

basic sign language class for primary school kids

• 13-10-2011 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've recently become involved with the parents association in our local primary school.

At a recent meeting we discussed the possibility of adding to our kids education by organising various extra-curricular activities both in and out of the classroom - music-teaching, swimming lessons, local history talks, environmental science projects etc. Some of these would have to be paid for, others would be provided on a voluntary basis.

Of all the suggestions made at the meeting, one stood out for me, and that was the idea of someone teaching very basic sign-language skills to the kids.

I think not only would the kids enjoy it, but it would also encourage them to think about deafness (and people with hearing problems) in a more positive way.

Trouble as always is lack of resources. It would require someone with signing experience to volunteer their time (not much now - I'd envisage a half-an-hour a week or so) during school hours.

So being a regular boards reader (if somewhat of a reluctant poster) I thought here would be a good place to start by asking if anyone has the knowledge and experience required and if they would be interested in volunteering some time as per the above.

The school is located midway between Youghal, Co Cork and Dungarvan Co Waterford. And if anyone is interested, I'd be hoping to have something in place by January - running through to easter or maybe summer.

If you can help, please pm me or just post below. And if not, thanks for reading in any case.

regards
    Alfa

Comments

Advertisement