Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conservatory.....External water leak or condensation?

• 13-10-2011 1:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Howdy, Was having a read there the other day in the conservatory when alas I felt water hitting my head. Looked up and there was a drip occuring every 30 secs or so. There seems to be some sort of drip tray at the highest point. It was full of water. Well I thought the worst and presumed with all the recent rainfall there was water getting in from the outside. Got the Mrs to throw a few buckets of water out the top window over the conservatory but I couldn't see any water comming in. Then I noticed a small black rubber hose/pipe above the drip tray.....Is this where the water is comming from? Some sort of system to combat condensation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

that tray u speak of is just a pvc cover,covering the aluminium behind it.
    theres no anti condensation system,the water is getting in when its windy and wet tru the exterior part ,it needs to be sealed properly outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Clean down and dry off the condensation and have hose running against the outside for a period of time and see what comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

what is the hose thingy for then?

Water has started to come in again. I went outside and sprayed water up at the spider section where all the triangular panels meet and she's leaking here. Might seal it up myself. Only trouble is trying to get to the center without going through the glass. Help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Water has started to come in again. I went outside and sprayed water up at the spider section where all the triangular panels meet and she's leaking here. Might seal it up myself. Only trouble is trying to get to the center without going through the glass. Help

You will have to get up on the roof, when you get to the point where the triangles meet there should be a Finial ( like a spike ) this should just screw off, then a circular cover should come off, and you could inject silicome to all the joints which you expose.
    Use a low modulus clear silicone, and then replace the Cover, and the Finial

OR, find a local conservatory fitter who will do the job for you, ( Nixer )should not cost more than the price of a few pints.

• Advertisement

I can see where the leak is comming in. Right at the top under the finial. I'd seal it myself but I don't think I'd be able to reach even with a ladder. Would I need to get scaffolding up i wonder?

A standard ladder will get you up to the gutters. wait for a dry day, and wear rubber soled shoes, so you do not damage the glass. You should be able to get up on the roof, provided its dry. Scaffolding will only get you up to the gutters as well, unless you use a plank, from the scaffolding across to the ridge, and clamber over the plank.

Are you sure it's ok to walk on the glass? :eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As always folks, terms and conditions apply. I personally would not recommend walking on glass but feel its important to point out that any risky or dangerous jobs should be carried out by a professional.

just to clarify, glass fitted to a roof of a conservatory, SHOULD be Toughened and is fine to walk on, wearing the correct shoes, However I agree with the the Mod's statment that a job like this should be carried out by someone with experience, and apologise if I made it seem otherwise.

• Advertisement

martinn123 wrote: »
    just to clarify, glass fitted to a roof of a conservatory, SHOULD be Toughened and is fine to walk on, wearing the correct shoes, However I agree with the the Mod's statment that a job like this should be carried out by someone with experience, and apologise if I made it seem otherwise.

Thanks for the original comment lad. You put your neck out on the line and I appreciate that but rest assured you were correct on all counts.
    I tracked down the conservatory builder today. He told me he's retired now and the original business has folded :rolleyes: presently but that's besides the point at this stage.
    He informed me that it's toughened glass and they used to walk on it all day long back in the day :D and he's a big lad > 15 stone so happy days...next fine day that comes along I'll be up on the glass with a gun. Thanks to all involved :)

Advertisement