Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a Masters degree...

Options
  • 13-10-2011 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

3 weeks in to a journalism course that wasn't my first choice and today I got a letter saying my rechecks in my Leaving caused a subject to go up a grade meaning I'm now offered my first choice of Psychology!

Only problem is now I've been enjoying my course so I need to decide which I'll prefer...

One of the things I'm considering though is just staying with what I have and then doing a masters in psychology in 3 years time.

Do things work that way or would I need to do some sort of undergraduate degree in psychology to apply for a masters in psychology?

Basically what's the story if you want to study a particular masters degree.

Any advice/info would really be appreciates!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

As far as I know, all Masters in psychology in Ireland have an entry requirement of at least a 2.2 in an undergraduate degree in psychology. UL has a one-year program that allows entry with a joint honours degree with psychology making up at least 50% of the degree. Trinity and UCD require your undergrad degree to be recognised by the Psychological Society of Ireland. I don't think a journalism degree would qualify you for entry to any of those programs I'm afraid, they require extensive prior knowledge of the subject.

What you might be able to do is a one-year conversion program - this is effectively a one year Higher Diploma in psychology that will allow you entry to the MA/MSc (provided you do well enough of course). I'm not 100% sure how they operate - ie I don't know if you do the Higher Dip in UCD will that make you eligible for a Masters in Trinity, they might be institution-specific.

Your best bet at this point would be to speak to a careers advisor in your college and get their input. It would be a shame to give up a course you are enjoying when in 3 years time you might no longer be interested in psych.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Just to add, looking briefly at the main uni websites, all the conversion courses I've seen are 2 yrs full time:

UCC conversion course (2 years): http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/postgrad/what/acsss/hdip/psych/

NUIG (2 yrs): http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/taught-postgraduate-courses/psychology-full.html

UCD (2 yrs): http://www.ucd.ie/psychology/postgraduateprogrammes/higherdiploma/

You would effectively spend 3 yrs on your BA, do the HDip conversion for 2 years, then spend another year doing the Masters. It's a pretty roundabout (and expensive) way of getting a postgrad.

What are your reasons for wanting to study psychology at postgrad level? Do you want to get in to clinical practice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lamrin

Could you consider doing a joint honours degree in Psych and Journalism?

Advertisement