Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

His face all red

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ok, I read that whole thing and still haven't a clue what it meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

FFS, WHAT IS THIS!?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The devil? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

W.T.F.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pretty cool. Well made.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've read it before but it's still great. Nice and creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I like it, reminds me of Neil Gaiman stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I liked it, reminds me of my sister...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Read it before, really enjoyed it

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

I think it's good, I'd not seen it before, thanks for posting

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Really enjoyed that. Ending was a little weak though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,382 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that. Ending was a little weak though.
    That wasn't an ending, its was a to be continued that was never finished imo

I think it is finished. It was himself in the hole not his brother.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Was it? Oh. I don't think I got that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Really? It doesn't look like him. It looks like his brother.

Does anyone here actually "get it" and know what's going on? Because I've read it a fair few times with different scenarios in my head and can't make sense of it.

nkay1985 wrote: »

Does anyone here actually "get it" and know what's going on? Because I've read it a fair few times with different scenarios in my head and can't make sense of it.

His brother has black hair.

I think it's kind of like a piece of folklore, what actually happened is not explained and left up to your imagination.

I think it's kind of like a piece of folklore, what actually happened is not explained and left up to your imagination.

No, I think if you look at the shape of the hair and, in particular, the nose, it's his brother. Think the difference in hair colour is due to the light from the lamp in the hole.

I appreciate the "it's left up to you" concept but it doesn't make any sense to me. It's very well drawn and laid out. I found it suspenseful throughout but I don't think it makes any sense and am just wondering if anyone actually made sense of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No, I think if you look at the shape of the hair and, in particular, the nose, it's his brother. Think the difference in hair colour is due to the light from the lamp in the hole.

I appreciate the "it's left up to you" concept but it doesn't make any sense to me. It's very well drawn and laid out. I found it suspenseful throughout but I don't think it makes any sense and am just wondering if anyone actually made sense of it.

I googled it looking for an answer and there doesn't appear to be one. The consensus seems to be that the beast is a shape shifter and took the form of the brother and came back. That still doesn't explain why the dead brother turned to look at him in the end.

That doesn't need to be explained though. The brother is disturbing him (whoever him is) as he sleeps, which is why he turned to look at him.

• Advertisement

That doesn't need to be explained though. The brother is disturbing him (whoever him is) as he sleeps, which is why he turned to look at him.

Is that not his dead brother, the one he threw in the hole?

My assumption was that the whole he climbs down at the end isn't the one he originally threw his brother down but one of the ones he saw his "brother" digging at night. Perhaps my assumption is incorrect.

My assumption was that the whole he climbs down at the end isn't the one he originally threw his brother down but one of the ones he saw his "brother" digging at night. Perhaps my assumption is incorrect.

His face is covered in blood just like the dead brother so I reckon it's the original hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

It's an allegory of Easter isn't it?

My take on it:

They all laugh at him at the start when he says he'll kill it on his own, until his brother says they'll do it together. His brother slays the beast and he throws him down the hole, cos he wants the glory for himself and also to cover up the fact that he hid while his brother did it.

For the next while he is wracked with guilt until "his brother" returns, but this is actually him viewing himself living his brothers life (he was given his bro's livestock, wife etc) and the guilt is eating him up so much (he can't sleep) that the version of his brother who has returned is a figment of his own imagination......in the end, he goes down the hole to alleviate his guilt and to rescue his brother, who's still alive.

Maybe.

My take on it:

They all laugh at him at the start when he says he'll kill it on his own, until his brother says they'll do it together. His brother slays the beast and he throws him down the hole, cos he wants the glory for himself and also to cover up the fact that he hid while his brother did it.

For the next while he is wracked with guilt until "his brother" returns, but this is actually him viewing himself living his brothers life (he was given his bro's livestock, wife etc) and the guilt is eating him up so much (he can't sleep) that the version of his brother who has returned is a figment of his own imagination......in the end, he goes down the hole to alleviate his guilt and to rescue his brother, who's still alive.

Maybe.

That's not a bad shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,382 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I aware it wasthe end of the comic, my point was that it wasn't resolved.

It's clearly his brother, they two don't look alike.
    I googled it looking for an answer and there doesn't appear to be one. The consensus seems to be that the beast is a shape shifter and took the form of the brother and came back. That still doesn't explain why the dead brother turned to look at him in the end.
    I seen those theorys too, but most all full of plot holes.
    My take on it:

Maybe.
    Is that your own theory?
    I seen the exact same thing posted elsewhere.

It's prob the bet i've heard but i'm not fully convinced. Doesn't explain the digging at night, or the lilac smell, or the borther turning at the end (alive not enough for me)

I think the artist intend to go the supernatural route, but the above is more fitting imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

It's an allegory of Easter isn't it?

I think that is the main theme, a dead man raised from the dead after 3 days can't be a coincidence, also the lilac scent at the hole was odd...Wikipedia says the lilac plant is associated with Easter as it blooms around that time. Plus the fact that the brother owned sheep which was being killed by a monster described as "the devil" and Jesus is known by Christians as the Good Shepherd.

The story reminds me a bit of Philip Pullman's book The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ" where Jesus had a brother who became jealous and arranged for his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

His brother had killed him he was a ghost and thats why he was sitting at the side of the bar everyone ignoring him, the lilac bush outside his house he dreamt of nothing then he dreamt of his brother digging the hole he was looking outside from the window hence why the hole smelled like lilac

The woods dark, cold is a indication for his impending death

His brother had a way about him that made people trust him so they wouldnt think he did it if you look at the last picture his hair is blonde and he went back to his final resting place

The story is in reverse?

• Advertisement

BluesBerry wrote: »
    His brother had killed him he was a ghost and thats why he was sitting at the side of the bar everyone ignoring him, the lilac bush outside his house he dreamt of nothing then he dreamt of his brother digging the hole he was looking outside from the window hence why the hole smelled like lilac

Are you talking about the start? Because, in the story, after "he's killed the beast but his brother has died" everyone is congratulating him even as they are consoling him.

Advertisement