Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want more tunage like this!

Options
  • 13-10-2011 6:48am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Heard this chilled out beat on RTE Chill during the night, listening to it since!

If anyone has anymore suggestions of chilled out beats id be grateful to hear them :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Loved that other Robbie Robertson track he had years ago...crazy river or something.

That gutteral bluesy talking thing is fairly unique.

I'd be a lot more into the electronic ambient stuff when it comes to chillout so I won't go recommending anything too far removed, as I reckon you're more after the vocal kind...some of Kruder & Dorfmeister's remix stuff might be your thing

I'll just post one of their better remixes:

Their mix of David Holmes' Gone is quality too...

Whilst on the subject of Bomb the Bass, some of their work with Gui Boratto is fairly laidback vocal/slowbeat too. The electronica might be a bt much though if it's just Robertson type stuff you're after.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

You could try some of these for starters, nice and chilled and with vocals on some - this is a great album, as is anything really by the Thievery Corporation.

Thievery Corporation - The Richest Man In Babylon

The Cinematic Orchestra are well worth checking out too, love this track...

The Cinematic Orchestra - To Build a Home

Another nice one from Kid Loco, a little more upbeat but a nice all round album.

Kid Loco - Love Me Sweet

Then if you fancy delving into something a little bit different but still not too dark, this is a very nice 32 minutes of ambient music -

Woob - On Earth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Alright I've been having a laid back sunday morning and to break the OP away from RTÉ Chill, some more old faves of mine to go on...

808 State - Lift (ex-cel mix)

That whole album is worth sourcing, just to hear this track in uncompressed glory. Also some good guests on it (Bernard Sumner, Bjork). A lot of it not so chilled out though.

Another 808 from a differenet album:

808 State - Azura

Again album is worth finding and is a lot more chilled out than the above and again has some interesting guests. The voclaist on this track is the singer from Lamb, Richard Ashcroft makes an appearance, but the brass/woodwind playing is the true star...

No chillout is complete without the Orb:

The Orb - Brainstorming

Think that's bjork on that too (?). Cydonia isn't one of their better albums IMO, but basically they can do no wrong. Recent Dave Gilmour collaboration been on my walkman the last few days.

Another Orb favourite:

The Orb - Star 6 7 8 9 (phase II)

The song that got me into them back in my schooldays...b side to one of their attempts at chart entry. Boom bass and those haunting jingly chords, progressive beats. One of my desert island discs. Following any of those hotlinks on the yt page will open another world of Orb goodness.

FSOL

Her Face Forms in Summertime

Hit and miss when it comes to chillout...some of their stuff can be heavy but this track (and most others on the dead cities album) are sheer bliss.
    Some of their videos, when you can find them are groundbreaking (even now) considering they were working with such limited tech.

Cascade ptI

Something earlier from them...you can hear the influence of Papua New Guinea in here but it's not as driving... one of their better ones for me, panpipes, oriental stuff, exotic birds...all in there.

Some other random faves:

Lux - 100 Billion Stars

Aphex Twin - Xtal

Dave Angel - Life's Little Pleasures

Spookily that Dave Angel track uploaded by one scubadevils...I assume as above? :)
    Feckin' love this track but only have it on tape (from Trance Europe Express 2), must find a CD on ebay.

No chiilout complete without Tangerine Dream either:

Risky Business is a great movie too if you've not seen it...

Okay I'll stop now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

Just doing some research with these songs on playlist, and iam chilllled winston!

Nice selection Wertz, definitely taking a few steps away alright from the realms of RTE Chill! Yeah I stuck up that 'Life's Little Pleasures' on YT, the first 2 Trance Europe Express hold very special memories for me of the early 90s. Hard to fault The Orb in anyway alright but they did hit a bit of blip for a while, came back nicely though with some of their more recent releases such as Baghdad Batteries etc.

Yeah Dead Cities is an amazing album but not one I'd stick in a chilled category either, far too many dark moments! I think 'Lifeforms' would be the best from a more ambient perspective but also not completely chilled either. Highly recommend their 'Environments' series, 3 in total and all amazing. I'm a massive FSOL fan though and worship everything they've done.

The Future Sound Of London - Nearly Home

The KLF did a chill album called 'Chill Out' which is another very nice and relatively accessible listen. Someone has actually stuck up the full thing on YT...

The KLF - Chill Out

If you really want to zone out completely to very relaxing ambient music, something like this will do the trick - again this upload to YT is the full album...

Pete Namlook & Tetsu Inoue - Shades of Orion

Finally for now this is taken from an all time favourite electronic album called 'Texturology' by Beaumont Hannant...

Beaumont Hannant - Mind Colours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

chillstep.info is an online radio and it has loads of good tracks..! One of my favourites being this:

This is another very ambient album by Harold Budd & Brian Eno - a favourite of mine for nodding off to sleep. The album its from is called 'The Pearl' and its from 1984. If you like this there is a whole load of others from the likes of Eno, Budd and various others from that time.

Harold Budd and Brian Eno - Still Return

http://www.discogs.com/Harold-Budd-Brian-Eno-With-Daniel-Lanois-The-Pearl/master/12106

Advertisement