Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Beers in Melbourne

Options
  • 13-10-2011 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

So just went to two pubs around St.Kilda and it was $8-9 a pint:mad:

Where do y'all recommend for a cheaper drinking session?(thats not a few cans in your flat)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

So much for all the stories we hear back home here about you boys earning mega bucks $30 an hour flat out working

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I often wondered about pints are an excuse to rip people off, check how much a schooner is (or Pot) in the same beer.

eg.
    $8 for a pint 8/568= 1.4 c/ml
    $5.50 for a schooner 5.5/425= 1.3 c/ml

if the case is above then you pint should only $7.38 and you are well and truly getting shafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

You're comparing apples with oranges.

My wages in Oz are 1.8 times my wages in Ireland.
    A pint in Oz costs 1.66 times the price of a pint in Ireland (taking
    €4 in Ireland and $9 in Oz).
    A pint in Oz is only 1.48 times a pint in Ireland if you take $8 as the price of a pint in Oz.

What more do you want OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

The only reason this is an issue is because the Aussie dollar has rocketed against most currencies. Beer is expensive but as someone said so are wages.

$30 is not extreme, so I wouldn't call that mega.

$34.81 ph is the national average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Good few places in St Kilda do $10 Jugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

The only reason this is an issue is because the Aussie dollar has rocketed against most currencies. Beer is expensive but as someone said so are wages.

$30 is not extreme, so I wouldn't call that mega.
    Exactly!

Also shop around, I know in Sydney some pubs charge around the same for a pint. But if you look around there are so many happy hour prices ($4/5 a schooner 5-7pm etc) I'm sure Melbourne is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    Good few places in St Kilda do $10 Jugs.

Do you know the names?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elliott550

The Iddy Biddy on Ecland street does pints of Boags all day for $5. $5 pizzas as well. Real nice place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The price oda schooner dependign on the day and the tiem of day.
    But $4.50 to $5.80 is about my normal price. That's cheap even considerign the terrible current exchange rate.
    I was getting $9 jugs last sunday watching the rugby, that was 3-4 schooners or so

I find it hard to beat my local RSL club which makes Saddam's Presidential palace look like a complete kip, they even send out a mini bus to bring me there and drop me off. Plus you get change from a hand for a beer.

I only go to Tourist trap gaffs when meeting up with visitors from back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I find it hard to beat my local RSL club which makes Saddam's Presidential palace look like a complete kip, they even send out a mini bus to bring me there and drop me off. Plus you get change from a hand for a beer.

I only go to Tourist trap gaffs when meeting up with visitors from back home.

I wish we had RSL clubs in WA.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've been in a few RSL clubs, some are nice, some aren't.
    My nearest is the latter. :( I think in general they are quite good though
    Luckily there's other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

ellaq wrote: »
    I wish we had RSL clubs in WA.

I'm glad there's less down here in Melbourne than in Sydney...if you can stay off the pokies you're grand...but can't argue with the price on food and beer.

Mellor wrote: »
    I've been in a few RSL clubs, some are nice, some aren't.
    My nearest is the latter. :( I think in general they are quite good though
    Luckily there's other options.

If you get a good one its awesome, more to it than pokies & old timers drinking middys and chatting about the war.

Castle Hill RSL is mad

Gym & Pool
    Fishing club
    Rifle Club
    Pistol Club
    Snooker & Billards club
    Bistro
    Sports bar
    Restaurants
    Couretsy Bus

http://www.castlehillrsl.com.au/dining-bars/terrace-bar/

Advertisement