Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help needed!

• 13-10-2011 8:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭

Computer blew up (think motherboard is gone) but I need a laptop asap for college. Could some you give me recommendations of shops/online sites to look at so I can compare different specs/ prices
    thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭rothai

Thanks cookie,
    I had hoped to spend no more than 500e but I've never heard of most of the laptops on there.

Would Dell be an option?

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15r-n5110/pd?oc=n00q1533&variant=&model_id=inspiron-15r-n5110#TechSpec

What's the rep with Dell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

What will you be using it for rothai? What is you max budget? How big a screen do you want?

Hi,
    Max budget is 500, but if I could get away with less that would be great as I'm back in college. It will be used for masters-presentations and course work. Also surfing web and general stuff. Around 15" I suppose. Don't need anything 2big, smaller is easier on battery? Plus smaller will be easier for carrying to college n stuff....
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

DID have been doing great deals on Toshiba systems, they even have real graphics processors (i.e. not Intel)

The only problem is they're pre-loaded with Win 7 home premium 64bit. This is slow as fcuk on this spec level, but you can (legitimately) wipe it and use your sticker license to install the 32-bit version.

For €500 you actually get a laptop that can play games from a couple of years ago.

e.g.
    http://www.did.ie/Product/E3504GB500GB-173andquot-C670D110/19192/377#productDetails

Ba-da-bing, ba-da-boom.

Is win 7 not better than vista? To be honest probably won't play games on it. Last laptop I had for 4 years and it never saw a game.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I meant install Win 7 32-bit.
    Its better than any version of Vista, also better than Win 7 64-bit.

Advertisement