Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formatting to FAT32

• 13-10-2011 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

i have a small problem here and I hope there's someone with more technical knowledge than myself.

I usually connect my External HD to my PS3 to view video files on my TV that I have downloaded etc. This HD died yesterday (i was able to retrieve files using a caddy).

I bought a new External HD, formatted it with Vista, but the PS3 would not detect it (its working fine as my PC does detect it). After googling i discovered that the PS3 will only detect HD's formatted using FAT32 (thats standard on XP and below), but Vista and forward use NTFS, and NTFS has security protocols that the PS3 cannot get its head around.

I used the CMD prompt on Vista "format /FS:FAT32 E:" and formatted my HD, but after an hour it threw up a ridiculous error about it not being able to format HDs below 1TB.

I also tried a free program called "SwissKnife" but this would not work on Vista.

Anyone got any ideas or software that i can try ?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Is there no option for FAT32 in the Windows format menu? I thought there was on Vista.

Like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭johndoe99

as you can see when i click into the box, there is only NTFS:

ntfs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

johndoe99 wrote: »
    I used the CMD prompt on Vista "format /FS:FAT32 E:" and formatted my HD, but after an hour it threw up a ridiculous error about it not being able to format HDs below 1TB.
    Please tell us the exact error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

the_syco wrote: »
    Please tell us the exact error.

"The volume is too big for FAT32"

• Advertisement

mordeith wrote: »

that would not install on Vista. But thanks, im gonna see if my make 'iomega' has a similar software on there website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Did you run the command prompt as an administrator

Otherwise use this Easeus or Swissknife

Both are free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

"The volume is too big for FAT32"
    Would this not be a case of Fat32 not being able to recognise these large volumes? The same way a 32 bit system can't recognise more than 3.5gb of ram. So you could just partition the drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

FAT32 volumes can hold up to 4TB of data. Use a different partition manager OP

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Did you run the command prompt as an administrator

Otherwise use this Easeus or Swissknife

Both are free

i tried the EaseUs, worked perfect, problem solved, PS3 recognises it and played a video.

Huge thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Munster Blogger

i tried the EaseUs, worked perfect, problem solved, PS3 recognises it and played a video.

Huge thanks. :)

I use GParted myself. It does require you to boot into a live disc but I've never had a problem with it, great tool. The 4gb limit per file sucks though

Advertisement