Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grommets

• 13-10-2011 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭

My son (21 months) got grommets in last week. So far so good. We were told to plug his ears with cotton wool and vaseline when giving him a bath to stop water getting in his ears. This is proving impossible. Whenever we plug his ears he just pulls the plugs straight back out again. As a result I haven't washed his hair since he had the grommets put in as I don't want water getting in his ears. Has anyone else had experience of this and how did you sort it if you did? Would be grateful for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Tesco do a shampoo shield.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

You put it around half their head and wash their hair then take it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

thanks. Might give that a go. I'd still be a bit worried in case he puts his head in the water and gets water in his ears that way. Roll on 9 months until the grommets fall out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

Check with your surgeon again about how long you need to do this. From recollection we only had to do this for a few weeks after surgery. I used to break off a small piece of a cotton make-up removal pad. Roll it around in vaseline until it was caked in it and then put it into the ears. It was quite small but waterproof and efficient. I think after a checkup a few weeks after the surgery the sugeon said we could stop doing this but to ensure that his ears weren't submerged in the water during bath times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Milkymoo

2 of mine have ha grommets. One in the last month and the recommendation was to keep the eyes plugged until the grommets fall out or are removed.

I found when we tried to put them into my sons ears he pulled them straight out but if we let him play in the bath a bit and then put them in he was distracted and left them in. Make them small so they're hard for their fingers to get out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement