Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox data transfer

Options
  • 13-10-2011 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭

was thinking of upgrading my xbox, and am a bit clueless about transferring stuff to another console.
    will everything on my gametag transfer, including xbla subscriptions & MS points?
    and afaik the licences for the dlc are attached to the old console, is there alot of work transferring the licences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Don't worry you'll loose nothing. It's a fairly simple process.

If you bring your old console into Gamestop when upgrading to a new one, they'll transfer everything for you, I believe... maybe someone else can confirm this, perhaps that's just a rumour I heard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Gamestop staff being helpful? yeah right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Gamestop staff being helpful? yeah right!

You should move to Kilkenny then, we're a friendly bunch down here... (unless you're a Dub or from Tipp... we don't like those sorts around here ;))

I'm pretty sure they moved my mate's data for him over to the new console. He had to leave it with them of an afternoon, I think. I'll ask him later today what happened.

As for Gamestop employee's, have to say that I've only ever heard good reports about the staff in the Kilkenny branch, polite, friendly and very helpful, although I have no idea what other branches are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

You could also just buy a data transfer kit (I think they're around a tenner).
    It's a simple process: Just unhook the HDD of your old console, hook it up to the the cable (The other end of the cable plugs into the USB port of the console), start up the console and it will ask you right away if you want to move everything.

As for the DRM process: Fairly simple, just go to xbox.com/drm and the website will guide you through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

You can transfer any and all DLC or game saves from one console to another using either the official transfer cable or any USB flash drive you have. Its a very simple process and you cant go wrong.

You also need to transfer over the licences for all your DLC and XBLA games and this is done online using the tool found on the page below.

http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/Support/LicenseMigration/Home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

bucks73 wrote: »
    You also need to transfer over the licences for all your DLC and XBLA games and this is done online using the tool found on the page below.

http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/Support/LicenseMigration/Home

cool thanks, that's what I was worried would be the awkward bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I traded in my 250GB slim for the Gears of War 3 Limited Edition one. They told me I had to transfer all the data myself, this was in GAME btw. I had a 16 gig USB stick lying around so I moved everything from my old console in there including gamer profiles, game saves, couple of demos, arcade games, etc.

Now when I brought home the new console, I plugged in the USB stick so I could transfer over the data. I was transferring stuff one by one i.e. I went into Black Ops, and moved the game saves from the USB to the hard drive one by one, then I went into FIFA 11 and transfered the game saves there one by one as well, etc.. But this was taking too long, so I just went ahead and ticked the boxes for everything so it could be transffered in one go. A few seconds after it started moving stuff, a message about licenses popped up. I just pressed ok to get rid of it.

Then I find that my USB is not being recognised all of a sudden. I plug it in and out numerous times but to no avail :( The rest of my data have not yet been transferred over. I can download the arcade games/demos again, but game saves for roughly 30 games are still stuck in the USB. This happened a couple of weeks ago and I still have not found a way to get my console to recognise the USB again so it's looking more like I'll have to play roughly 30 games all over again :eek: I certainly regret trading in my console now :(

Is the USB flash drive not being recognised by the old or new console or both?

I traded in the old console at GAME so I don't have it anymore. It's not being recognised by the new one, tried it on the PC too but no luck there either. It must have bricked the USB somehow :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

jamescd wrote: »
    I traded in the old console at GAME so I don't have it anymore. It's not being recognised by the new one, tried it on the PC too but no luck there either. It must have bricked the USB somehow :(

can you see anything when you plug it into a PC?

When you plug it in and open it, choose the tools menu , options, view, and check the option for show hidden files and folders.

If you can't see the tools menu at the top of the folder, press the 'alt' key.

You should see a folder called "Xbox360" with a bunch of files inside called DataXXX

• Advertisement

That's the problem. When I plug it into the PC, that alert sound goes off as if it's detected something's been plugged into a USB port. However, when I go to my computer, there's nothing there. I can see all my other hard drives, but the USB is nowhere to be seen.

I already tried that show hidden files and folders thing. I also downloaded a program called EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, but when it does the scan for the hard drives etc., it still cannot find my USB even though I already have it plugged in.

I've already given up at this stage. I don't feel like starting from scratch on every single game as it will take hundreds of hours, so most likely will just sell/trade them games :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Try right clicking 'mycomputer' then select 'manage' and then select storage and then disk manager and see if your drive shows up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

jamescd wrote: »
    That's the problem. When I plug it into the PC, that alert sound goes off as if it's detected something's been plugged into a USB port. However, when I go to my computer, there's nothing there. I can see all my other hard drives, but the USB is nowhere to be seen.

I already tried that show hidden files and folders thing. I also downloaded a program called EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, but when it does the scan for the hard drives etc., it still cannot find my USB even though I already have it plugged in.

I've already given up at this stage. I don't feel like starting from scratch on every single game as it will take hundreds of hours, so most likely will just sell/trade them games :(

Sounds like a Windows Vista issue and not an Xbox problem, Vista was very shaky with USB drives at the start but I think it was sorted in Service Pack 1, any ideas what service pack your running?

RC My computer and hit properties then see what service pack is running, if any!

It's Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1. Don't think that's the problem tbh. It was working at first, I formatted it to FAT32 on the PC, plugged it into my old xbox and transffered everything from the hard drive into the USB without any problems.

The problem started when I transferred the files from the USB into my new xbox's hard drive. A minute or so into the transfer, this message popped up about licenses. I just pressed ok to get rid of it, but when I tried to resume transferring the rest of the stuff I couldn't because the USB is not being recognised anymore.

Just like that, a message pops up during the transfer and then boom the rest of my game saves are inaccessible :( As I said, it's most likely it's broken the USB somehow.

@Squaredude: Unfortunately it's not there either :(

have you checked for it in device manager?or tried it on a different computer?

The problem may be that you need to format the flash drive on the 360 first.

http://support.xbox.com/en-za/xbox-360/how-to/usb-flash-drive

bucks73 wrote: »
    The problem may be that you need to format the flash drive on the 360 first.

http://support.xbox.com/en-za/xbox-360/how-to/usb-flash-drive

Thanks but I already did that. As I said, I have my game saves stored in the USB already. The only problem is my xbox and PC won't detect it anymore.
    Squaredude wrote: »
    have you checked for it in device manager?or tried it on a different computer?

I just checked device manager there. Beside one of the directories called "USB Mass Storage Device", there is a small yellow triangle icon with a ! (exclamation point) sign inside. I'm guessing this is the broken USB stick. I double click on it and it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". Any ideas ?

Advertisement