Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL on, internet intermittent

Options
  • 13-10-2011 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Just looking for a bit of advice on a problem my mother-in-law is having with her broadband. I have tried different routers and the issues is the same. Basically what is happening is that the DSL light stays on steady, but after a while the internet light and the wireless light start flashing. This corresponds with a serious slowdown in connection speeds. Is this indicative of a problem with the ISP (eircom) or some kind of hardware issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to eircom forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

mordeith wrote: »
    Hi all. Just looking for a bit of advice on a problem my mother-in-law is having with her broadband. I have tried different routers and the issues is the same. Basically what is happening is that the DSL light stays on steady, but after a while the internet light and the wireless light start flashing. This corresponds with a serious slowdown in connection speeds. Is this indicative of a problem with the ISP (eircom) or some kind of hardware issue?

Hi mordeith,

Thanks for post.

If the DSL light on the router is staying solid (green), this would indicate your getting a good signal on your phone line.

A flashing Internet and wireless light would indicate traffic /or data passing through the mode. I've found this happens alot when computer(s) applictions are updating (software). Most anti-virus /anti-spyware and firewall(s), as well as the standard applications, operating system will have regular scheduled updates. Other hugh bandwidth applications like Skpe, may even be running in the background without your knowledge, and these applications are notoriously difficult to fully exit out of.

You should test your PC(s) for spyware and just run some general maintenance checks, dump temp files, etc.

Also test your broadband connection - as suggested below :

* Disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test the connection speed again.

* Test your modem speed with just one single Computer /PC). All other PC's should be shut down temporarily while testing i.e : Computers /laptops /smartPhones /wireless equipment including Games Consoles: (Xbox(s), Playstation(s), etc.

Are you connecting wirelessly? http://bit.ly/WirelessCheck

* If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.

Are you using streaming, file-sharing or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software?

* These programs download content in the background, even when minimised. Exit the software completely to ensure it does not affect the speed.

Have you scanned your computer for Spyware?

* Spyware and viruses can interfere with internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable.

If you still have problems with your connection after performing the above steps you should, call directly into eircom Technical Support where one of our Broadband Support Professionals can advise and guide you further ;-

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hi Ant,
    I've tried the connection with the main PC and two laptops (both wirelessly and with the ethernet cable connected). I will try some of your options mentioned above and report back any results.
    Thanks.

Still no luck solving this problem. I tried different routers and enabled DCHP which worked for a while. When I tried the next morning it was back to the same problem i.e. DSL light on, internet and wireless light blinking simultaneously. I can't even dial into the router when its like this. Changed ethernet cables and filters on the line but still the same issues. Very annoying :mad:

Still no luck solving this problem. I tried different routers and enabled DCHP which worked for a while. When I tried the next morning it was back to the same problem i.e. DSL light on, internet and wireless light blinking simultaneously. I can't even dial into the router when its like this. Changed ethernet cables and filters on the line but still the same issues. Very annoying :mad:

Hi mordeith,

Thanks for getting back to us on the eircom Forum on Boards.

As advised previously, if the DSL light is solid green then this would normally indicate that there is a good Adsl signal /frequency on your phoneline (system). An flashing green Internet and Wireless light would normally indicate that traffic /or data is passing through the modem. As advised, it would not be unusual to see either (or both) Internet and Wireless lights flashing on the modem. This would generally indicate a good connection from your computer(s) to the modem. If the lights are continously flashing this would normally indicate that traffic is quite high, and may suggest that your computer(s) system(s) are updating their firmware, system and application software. On occasions this will also indicate that your computer may have some added software, or anti-virus, firewall(s) and /or spyware continously updating. I have suggested checking your connecton on ONLY ONE computer over ethernet cable, as this will rule out any wireless issues connecting first.

If you are still experiencing connection problems after tryging the suggestions, then it will be necessary for you to call into Technical /Broadband Support. A Support Professional will need to confirm your broadband sync and connections to eircom's authentication servers and to ensure your setup is fine. They may also be able to test or offer further advice on your connection /or if this is a computer related or non-eircom related problem.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please advise Technical Support that you have completed your own checks as advised on this thread. Retain your case reference (case id) as this will help to resolve this quickly. Alternatively, if you wish to PM your case Id I can check this further with the Technical Support team.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Advertisement

Hi Ant,
    I don't think its anything to do with high traffic as its the same no matter what computer I use (the desktop or either of two laptops). The weirdest thing is not being able to connect to the router's settings page. I guess a call to technical support is order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

If you have the zyxel modem I'd say the problem lies there.

nuxxx wrote: »
    If you have the zyxel modem I'd say the problem lies there.

It's a netgear netopia. I've also tried a Hauwei one but get the same problem (although that one doesn't have flashing lights)

It's a netgear netopia. I've also tried a Hauwei one but get the same problem (although that one doesn't have flashing lights)

Hi mordeith,

Thanks again. If you PM your home phone number I'll try a remote login to the router.

You may also want to make sure you are connected over Ethernet, and that you can ping the gateway 192.168.1.254.

Try a full hard reset - putting a pin in the reset hole at the back of the modem and hold until lights flash off (7 seconds). Release the pin and wait 3 minutes until all lights steady up.

http://bit.ly/ModemReset

Try to connect to the modem webpage : 192.168.1.254

Alternatively, call direct into Broadband Support

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call time and help if you need to follow up.

Kind regards,

Ant

Advertisement