Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac discrimination

Options
  • 13-10-2011 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Went to the library today and asked for help on printing. I needed a 3 euro card which would get me 37 sheets, which was a rip-off in the first place, considering I only need to print two sheets; but that's not my issue here. I was given extensive instructions on how to print off the library printers, just to find that there was only a printing option for windows. So, I went back up to the help desk and complained. The woman behind the counter agreed it was an annoyance and agreed to print off what she called "mac instructions". I took them and went back to my table, to find out that she had given me instructions on how to connect to the internet! (basically saying "click the wifi symbol and click NUIMWireless; but dragged out over three pages.) I'm not exactly computer illiterate. But again, I diverse. This is also not my issue. My issue is this: there is no way to print stuff from a mac in NUIM.

Another person behind the help desk bagen giving me extensive instructions on how to email the file to another computer etc.; but I don't use word, so even incompetent-helpdesk-lady agreed her advice would come to no avail.

I uploaded the assignment to moodle last week, but the due date for the hardcopy has now come and gone, and my "second-chance" due date is also up in about an hour. I've always kept a week ahead of my assignments; and now, just because my printer at home is broken, I'm falling behind. This is anything but fair.

What do I do? ps sorry for any typos, I'm typing this in a rush.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Somebody reply please; I have roughly half an hour to sort this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Fbjm wrote: »
    Another person behind the help desk bagen giving me extensive instructions on how to email the file to another computer etc.; but I don't use word, so even incompetent-helpdesk-lady agreed her advice would come to no avail.

What format is your file assignment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

pdf it and it'll print anywhere.

from the print menu there's an option to save to pdf.

I did it in libre office.

Scotty I don't know what that means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Have asked Computer Centre to support Mac. Looks like we'll be incorporating it into the new single student card in semester 2.

Edit: I realise that that probably sounds like it makes no sense. I mean the system behind the printing, which is a big job to tweak, will hopefully support OSX when it's being tweaked to support the single student card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

go to file, print, and in the bottom left of the dialog box there's an option to save to pdf. The pdf will open on any computer (Acrobat reader on windows) and print.

I've been told to look for "Ann" the CA in the arts block. So I'm heading there now.

K, Ann sorted it. Thanks everyone for the replies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Hi, can you pm me the details of how she did this?
    I've never had to print from my laptop on campus yet
    but I usually just convert to PDF in NeoOffice and print elsewhere.
    If not, I'll just have to use the windows partition,
    might as well get some use out of it while my HD space is running out...

• Advertisement
Advertisement