Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows

• 13-10-2011 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi
    I have been converting a renault traffic 2004 for the last few months and would like a couple of windows as its an ex panel van, I have two at the back but would like some side windows.

I rung around some car breakers but no crew cabs being broken.

I know ideally I would put bonded windows in this van, but has anybody put the old style windows in themselves, if so do you have pic's just so I can see what it looks like. Also was it difficult to put in?

Everything seems so expensive over here and so far its been cheaper to import most things from the UK.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

chealy1974 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have been converting a renault traffic 2004 for the last few months and would like a couple of windows as its an ex panel van, I have two at the back but would like some side windows.

I rung around some car breakers but no crew cabs being broken.

I know ideally I would put bonded windows in this van, but has anybody put the old style windows in themselves, if so do you have pic's just so I can see what it looks like. Also was it difficult to put in?

Everything seems so expensive over here and so far its been cheaper to import most things from the UK.

cheers

Check the link in my sig. I fitted a window in my conversion

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Shaymeyabu

Yep I know what you mean by expensive.. I'm nearing the end of a conversion myself and as much as I'd liked to have bought from Irish suppliers, I found them way more expensive than the uk. Hence I ended up importing almost everything I needed.
    I've popped in some seitz windows which wasn't really that hard. I think the hardest part was summoning up the courage to to cut holes in a perfectly good van :).
    I've seen some guys do camper conversion videos on Youtube and there are 1 or 2 videos on guys putting in bonded windows. Seems simple enough.

www.leisurevehiclewindows.co.uk do a good range of bonded windows but I'm not sure if they do the older Rubber fit ones for your van. Anyways best of luck.

Shay

P.s. I started with the sliding door window first.. my thinking being that if it all went horribly wrong... I could always pick up another door..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 chealy1974

cheers for the reply's
    I was thinking I could get a window from a breakers and fit that.
    Would this work or would the curve of the van be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭rocksimmo

Hi chealy1974.
    Condrons car dismantlers in tullamore were breaking a crew cab traffic which had windows. That was a few weeks ago but might be worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Bonded windows are a better job especially on the vans like traffic where they fit the recess perfectly. You have to be much more accurate in cutting for rubber fit to get a good seal and by the time you've primed the cut edges to prevent rust and left it to dry you'd have 10 bonded ones fitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Shaymeyabu

Yeah I'd have to agree with paddyp on that one. Bonded windows look great on the traffic. Particularly tinted ones.. The rubber fit windows just seem to be so much hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 chealy1974

Cheers for the input.. I rung around a few places in the UK and its about 300 sterling for the windows bonding kit and delivery. Delivery is a killer at 75 quid.
    Does anybody know what their charging for the windows at a Vauxhall or Renault garage in Ireland?
    Will make a few calls on Monday for a comparison

Advertisement