Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mind your mp3 player while walking around (esp. in Smithfield)

Options
  • 13-10-2011 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I saw three guys (teenagers, hoodies, usual suspects) checking out a girl on Bow street yesterday evening, one of them broke off and started following her down Friary avenue. I drove ahead of them, got off my bike and walked back towards her just as the guy was about to snatch her ipod.

I shouted at him and he did a runner, but the Guards say there've been a quite few robberies in the area lately. They come up behind you or make the grab when they're cycling past you. They've no fear, this was at 6 and there were plenty of people about.

Be careful when you're going through the playlists or sending texts on the street :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Attempted snatching? Really?

mor eliek attempted robbery, no need to be so sensationalist about it.

Thread Title changed

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

That's a bit much, someone was attempting to snatch something from someones hand, rather than a threat of violence and 'give me your ipod'. It relates to anywhere, but this is specifically in relation to this happening in the Smithfield area lately.

A "snatching" usually relates to someone taking a child, there was no attempted abduction in this instance.

Not as I understand it

1. The act of snatching; a quick grasp or grab.
    2. A brief period of time: "At the end we preferred to travel all night,/Sleeping in snatches" (T.S. Eliot).
    3. A small amount; a bit or fragment: a snatch of dialogue.
    4. Slang A kidnapping.

See number 4 there, that's what most people reading the original thread title will have seen.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    See number 4 there, that's what most people reading the original thread title will have seen.

I believe that is incorrect.

ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Get a room you two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

Think there should be less complaining about the title (I certainly didn't think it was a kidnapping) and more props given to OP for helping someone out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Des wrote: »
    Attempted snatching? Really?

mor eliek attempted robbery, no need to be so sensationalist about it.

Thread Title changed

Spell properly, and then use that argument.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's a children's court up there, so you have a select clientele in the area already.

Advertisement