Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Media - Facebook & Twitter

Options
  • 13-10-2011 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Hi,

One of my clients is looking for advice on social media strategies - if and how he should be using them - he's a car dealer in the midlands.

Anyone got any pearls to share on using them? Are they of any use in a medium sized town. I'd be reasonably confident on setting him up, etc but less sure on what content he should be using. He's afraid that he's missing the boat but wants to do things properly

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Great Possibilities

Facebook
    > Set up a fan page.
    > Use FB Ad's to direct traffic to it..maybe just for the start. He can specifically target his surrounding area.
    > Set up Check-In's - He can reward customer's who visit his place a spefic number of times for example
    > Do social media promotions with fans who liked the page
    > Generate discussions amount your fans on related area. E.G BMW new series
    > He should upload pictures & videos of some of the cars he has in stock

That's just FB examples

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭business bloomer

Hi,

One of my clients is looking for advice on social media strategies - if and how he should be using them - he's a car dealer in the midlands.

Anyone got any pearls to share on using them? Are they of any use in a medium sized town. I'd be reasonably confident on setting him up, etc but less sure on what content he should be using. He's afraid that he's missing the boat but wants to do things properly

FB in Ireland is huge. Irish users are very good at social media :) I would forget about Twitter and use Linkedin instead.

FB>create a community/audience
    LINKEDIN>create business contacts

I definitely think you should set-up a FB Page for free and make sure you can drive as many Fans/Likes as you can in the first month or so (put on a promotion...bring a new Like and we'll make you try a BMW or something like that). After that, you will advertise to those.

Linkedin helps to build connection on the business side, so suppliers and clients will be happy to join that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭gavney1

Once you get a good number of fans, facebook is great. Very easy to use, costs nothing.

It's hard enough to get up to substantial number of fans though, that's the only problem about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭Homer

If they do set up a Facebook page I would suggest getting a landing page done as this will help increase the number of "likes" the page gets, as opposed to people simply checking out the page and leaving without any encouragement or incentive to "like" the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Set up his home page to show his tweets and that could act as a quick news update with offers for clients who will see them even if they are not on twitter.

Set up the likes button clicks for facebook and use a flash template to make facebook look more professional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Make sure he's absolutely clear on, and committed to, regularly updating it with interesting and targeted information - I've seen waaaay too many Irish car dealers let their Facebook page grow moss after the first few weeks of novelty wear off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Indeed.. i would suggest he outsource it. If he hasnt a clue how to utilise it it is very similar to him as a car salesman to start fixing cars.
    He knows the mechanics off how a car should be fixed, can find the parts and dependant on whats wrong could easily fix most minor faults.
    It will cost him twice the outlay on lost time trying to see what is effective and what is not. I hope you can see my analogy and where im coming from. You can spot most of the dealers out there that outsource their business (social media business) to the wifes nephew. He is now the spokesperson for the companys online vision.
    If you wouldnt let him speak to your most prolific client each year for his fleet, then why the flip would u let him take control of your social media.

I would suggest he go speak to some people professionally about this.. DONT try doing it yourself because just like chris he wont see the return and it will grow moss and will do nothing for his credibility online.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hi Moycullen 14,

I would recommend to have a chat with Denis Finnegan of Finn Media (http://www.finnmedia.ie/). I know him personally, and have seen some of the work he does for his clients (nationwide). He will be able to develop your strategy accross all social media forums, advise on what works and what doesnt and help with the implementation process. He is particualrly strong on "organic" Search Engine Optimisation and Sales Focussed Marketing.

I know he is reasonable in terms of cost and he is focussed on getting a return on the client's investment.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Indeed.. i would suggest he outsource it. If he hasnt a clue how to utilise it it is very similar to him as a car salesman to start fixing cars.

This. It'll end badly if he does no research and jumps head first in to it. Either outsource it or go on a couple of courses to learn the basics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 think social biz

There are a number of strategies available from offering free valeting as a competition on an App for those who like. To running Facebook ads directing back to a good facebook landing page & growing the likes that way. We have recently developed an App for a dealership in Dublin which has a competition, video, images, links back to website etc. But if you have a look at the BMW facebook App. you can get great ideas FOC from those spending millions on there social media campaigns.

Remember FB has strict guidlines on competitions been posted on your wall. So always get good advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Thanks for all the responses. Very useful information. As some pointed out, not having any great talent or affinity for web/social media means he is unlikely to give it the regular care & attention that it needs.On the other hand, I'm not sure that outsourcing it solves the problem. He did this with his web site and doesn't update it so it gathers moss. I think I have to say that if you are going to do this you HAVE to commit to the time & effort required, otherwise don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Looking for recommendations for social media professionals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I can recommend Billy Mahon over at www.superiorinternetmarketing.com

Rates are very reasonable and his strategies will produce increased sales and activity.

He can also help with setting up pay per click campaigns, keyword research, SEO and getting website traffic to convert to sales.

You can read testimonials from eight of his clients over on his Linkedin page http://www.linkedin.com/in/billymahon

Advertisement