Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTC's Winter 2011-12 Forecast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

butt1 wrote: »
    is it snowing there m.t.
    dermiek wrote: »
    Thanks for reminding me to put out bird seed. I'll do that tomorrow.
    I have noticed that the birds tend to stock up on peanuts and seed about 10 days or so before a cold snap.
    Also, I had carpal tunnel surgery 2 years ago. That "plays up" in cold weather.
    Have to go, my wrist is itchy.....

oh god the trolls are out trick or treating :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

dermiek wrote: »
    Thanks for reminding me to put out bird seed. I'll do that tomorrow.
    I have noticed that the birds tend to stock up on peanuts and seed about 10 days or so before a cold snap.
    Also, I had carpal tunnel surgery 2 years ago. That "plays up" in cold weather.
    Have to go, my wrist is itchy.....

:confused:not sure if serious or taking the mick:eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

True about the birds, but that's just what I've noticed. Could be wrong there too, maybe their just hungry bastärds.
    Taking the Mick about the itchy hand in cold weather.
    Apologies, especially if it was a troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

MTC - as merely an interested visitor here the subtleties escape me so this may be a stupid question - but does the snow event in Northeastern US have any implications for the overall winter predictions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

How are the natural signs looking this autumn?

As someone who has spent many year living in the countryside I am convinced that nature is not clairvoyant. It reacts to what happened in the past & not in the future. If there are a lot of berries it is because of the conditions when they were forming & not a predictor of future weather. I admire MT for nailing his colours to the mast & taking an educated punt. However I wonder what are the statistical probabilities ?

Whilst a long range forecast may provide some warning it can also cause problems. I do not agree with the Garden Centres on Liveline that the "Donegal Postman's" forecast has damaged Autumn plant sales - people are just being cautious because of previous winters. But we all know how the tabloids love to latch on to a forecast - without really reading it & it can have serious economic consequences.

I monitor the daily forecasts constantly - I work outdoors ! The level of variation, especially on a local level, is huge even hour by hour. So I find it hard to have a lot of faith in any forecast that's more that 10 days in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Discodog wrote: »
    As someone who has spent many year living in the countryside I am convinced that nature is not clairvoyant. It reacts to what happened in the past & not in the future. If there are a lot of berries it is because of the conditions when they were forming & not a predictor of future weather. I admire MT for nailing his colours to the mast & taking an educated punt. However I wonder what are the statistical probabilities ?

Whilst a long range forecast may provide some warning it can also cause problems. I do not agree with the Garden Centres on Liveline that the "Donegal Postman's" forecast has damaged Autumn plant sales - people are just being cautious because of previous winters. But we all know how the tabloids love to latch on to a forecast - without really reading it & it can have serious economic consequences.

I monitor the daily forecasts constantly - I work outdoors ! The level of variation, especially on a local level, is huge even hour by hour. So I find it hard to have a lot of faith in any forecast that's more that 10 days in advance.
    seems your right about nature not being able to tell the future http://ukweather.wordpress.com/2011/09/09/berries-a-precurser-to-winter/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Will you be updating this forecast as time moves on MT ?

Will you be updating this forecast as time moves on MT ?

think he updates in mid november.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

For the past half an hour I have noticed a variety of small birds looking for food near the back door. I have not seen them in weeks so close to the house.

For the past half an hour I have noticed a variety of small birds looking for food near the back door. I have not seen them in weeks so close to the house.

I see you have hit 666 posts father wishy washy. If small birds have significance - then it follows the number of your posts portends the end of days for us all. The rapture is upon us!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Be afraid be very afraid!!!:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Ah no it's grand now, it's gone up to 667.

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Ah no it's grand now, it's gone up to 667.

Phew. Fr are the birds still there ???:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

So is it safe to say Ireland will not see much snow this winter?

jo06555 wrote: »
    So is it safe to say Ireland will not see much snow this winter?

no not at all nobody knows how this winter will turn out really until a wekk or two before , but if anything its most likely ireland will see a lot of snow this winter:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I would just like to say that in M.T's preliminary winter forecast for last year he did go for a mild Feb. This was posted on Sept 25th 2010 and had the winter very nailed.

This is my preliminary winter forecast ... I will issue a final forecast around mid-November.
    179998.JPG

woah he should have issued that instead as his final forecast!he was so right, but i think he underestimated the december temps slightly didnt he, dec would have been a good bit colder than jan 2010 wouldnt it have?

bb1234567 wrote: »
    woah he should have issued that instead as his final forecast!he was so right, but i think he underestimated the december temps slightly didnt he, dec would have been a good bit colder than jan 2010 wouldnt it have?

Thats what he said,Dec may be the coldest month of the winter.

redsunset wrote: »
    Thats what he said,Dec may be the coldest month of the winter.

i know but in his post he said that december (last year) could be as or a bit less severe than january the year before. and i was saying he underestimated december as it was in fact quite a lot colder than january the year before it.

This is a complete list of all long range forecasters I can think of and what they think winter 2011/2012 will turn out like.

Piers Corbyn - an extreme cold period with huge snowfalls from 27th November to 28th December.

James Madden - a very severe winter with temperature and snow fall records being beaten. He thinks All winter months will be excpetionally cold and all of uk will receive huge volumes of snow.

Mark Vogan - cold setting in Mid December followed by an exceptionally cold January. An exceptionally cold and snowy winter as a whole.

Climate Prediction Centre based in America- They were the ones to forecast the return of the la nina and they think this la nina will cause a very cold winter in uk across the entire northern hemisphere--http://ktwop.wordpress.com/2011/09/09/another-harsh-winter-is-expected-as-la-nina-returns/

Brian Glaze- initial thoughts were that this Winter would be less severe but now clearly leaning toward a very cold winter. Full Winter forecast to be issued later. It will be interesing to hear what he says.

Joe Bastardi-Weather Bell - very cold but not as severe as last yeat, but more prolonged cold than last year,all winter months below average temps and high amounts of snowfall. Full forecast soon to be realeased.

AccuWeather - mild Winter with little snow.

WeatherOnline - Avery cold winter, similar to Mark Vogans forecast, with cold setting in Mid December followed by a severely cold January.

Met Office - No longer issue long range forecasts so they dont really count, but they have said that they dont think this winter will be as severe as everyone says its going to be.

Positive Weather Solutions - talk of an extremely cold end to the month followed by a very cold December.

NetWeather - mixed and less severe than last Winter, but still a cold winter overall for uk.

Peter O'Donnel -Irish weather online-He has forecast a below average winter temps wise. He said december will be a mixed bag, with a few very cold snowy episodes mixed in with some milder interludes so an average decmber overall. He then said january could be very cold ,just as cold as last december but with more precipitaion so more snow. He stated that january could be 4-5 degrees below normal and seeing as january avg temp is 1 degree lower than december and december last year was 6 degrees below avg this january could be as cold as last december but even more snow. He then said feb would be mild, but then march would be quite cold with a return to wintry conditions.

Daniel Smith- Hes on another forum ,a very good forecater in my opinion has forecast a very cold start to winter, with the second half of november being very cold and snowy and then whole of december being very cold and snowy also. Link to his website-http://ukweather.wordpress.com/winter-20112012/

Weather services International -They have said this winter will be below avg temps wise. They say itll be cold and early winter but less severe than last year. They say the worst cold and snow will be in mid november to end of december, they believe the la nina will once again be strong so they think that jan and feb will be much warmer than nov/dec like last year.Link to their forecast-thttp://www.wsi.com/ec1c5e30-6883-47c2-bd44-ce26d03abddd/news-scheduled-forecast-archive-detail.htm

TWO weather-They are going for very cold winter-Link to their forecast -http://www.wishawpress.co.uk/wishaw-...6495-29657776/

The Donegal Postman - He has said he does not think this winter will be severe at all. He thinks this winter will be a very average typical irish winter this year.

US firm- that predicted last year's Arctic snap as well as the previous big freeze of 2009-2010 also warned that we might be in for another very cold winter.

Any forecasters on boards I could add to the list?

So the general consensus definitely seems to be in favour of atleast a very cold second half of november and whole of december, and then some forecasters also going for a very cold january and or february.Interesting cant wait to see how this winter comes along, could go any way I suppose, just becuase most forecasters are saying its cold doesnt mean its going to be unfortunately though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

As I remember things, the signal received for the cold December (in 2010) continued to make a stronger impression as it approached, just going by that preliminary outlook, the eventual "final" outlook and then later on what I posted in monthly forecast comps here and in the UK, my estimate kept dropping and for the UK CET contest I went with 0.5 (but that was after the cold had dug in already in late November), still that was just about 3 degrees lower than consensus there and one of the four or five lowest entries out of a hundred (some of the lower ones were submitted late too). It's very difficult for an experienced forecaster to go close to extreme lows (or highs, but especially lows in this ocean-warmed situation) in anything but reliable time nowadays, so many of these promising patterns in past years have fizzled out or come in just below normal. (edit due to intervening post above) Despite what is stated in the previous post, my forecast for January is for significant cold but I think it reads a little less extreme than this poster has suggested, the numbers in play are 2-4 degrees below normal and on my UK forecast I said the CET for January would be around 1.5 C (last December was -0.7 there, -0.4 on our boards contest "IMT" scale.) That would be about on a par with January 2010. Not a huge difference from what was suggested, but that's what I am actually saying. It may be similar to Jan 1987 which had that sort of monthly mean but managed a very cold week with some readings in the -5 to -10 range, as well as some heavy snows from east winds.

Another edited note on the intervening post, great summary, but I believe that Piers Corbyn is Positive Weather Solutions, no? As to Accu-weather saying mild, they lost Joe Bastardi in the last year or two (can't recall exactly when) and he always cold ramps European winters to some extent, so perhaps they don't have that horse in their stable any more. I imagine their mild outlook is driven by their published North American forecast which is almost the opposite of mine, they say very cold eastern U.S., I'm saying mild until February, with the cold bottled up in central Canada and the northern plains states. That outlook is shared by some other North American forecasts. I think I published a link to these various outlooks on the general winter 2011-12 thread about two weeks back. If you want to find it quickly, google "neuswx" to get to the blog in question.

As to this winter, I am not seeing any danger signs for the outlook issued, we saw a relative minimum in temperatures back around 15-25 October and now it's back to mild for a while, with promise of a colder trend to come. So for the time being, no amendments or adjustments. Still thinking that January will be the winter's best (or worst) month this time out. I've been hearing a lot of rumbling about December recently and my outlook didn't exclude a spell of cold and snow around middle of that month, but there again I haven't seen any indications that there would be a repeat of last year's long and epic cold spell. Perhaps short and epic will have to do. (I know, out of the four million people or whatever in Ireland, the forty who want snow are all readers of this forum).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Joe Bastardi-Weather Bell - very cold but not as severe as last yeat, but more prolonged cold than last year,all winter months below average temps and high amounts of snowfall. Full forecast soon to be realeased.

Where can i get info on joes earlier thoughts? :)

Kippure wrote: »
    Where can i get info on joes earlier thoughts? :)

a guy on another forum has been emailing joe and telling us what joe replied back with- here are some of the things joe bastardi sent to the guy-
    this is quote from guy on other forum not me ''well, I tend to listen to Joe Bastardi. Although he hasn't released his winter forecast yet, I e mailed him and asked what he thought was likely to happen to the NAO and AO during winter. He e mailed back and said they are both expected to go negative from late November, then into December and January.

and also, on various articles on weatherbell, Joe B and Joe D have been saying that they expect the QBO to go increasingly negative through winter as well. Though I don't knpw much about the QBO I understand from weatherbell that when it goes to a strong negative, it goes into a strongly easterly phase, which together with a negative AO and NAO makes colder weather for the UK.

Joe B said in his e mail to me that he expects December to be less severe than last year, with the core of the cold coming in Jan/ Feb.

I know others like James Madden and Piers Corbyn disagree, and think December could be severe cold, but I really like Joe Bastardi as a meteorologist, and for me, he is by far the most accurate at long range. I know he makes mistakes sometimes, but weather forecasting is hard for anyone, so that is to be expected, but for me this winter, I would go with Joe's idea of a less severe December, but colder Jan and Feb.

another email from joe to the guy-Joe B and Joe D indicated in their e mail that the AO and NAO are expected to go negative from late November. Joe B also said that they should be negative for December and Jan, and here is the e mail"

Hi David

I think this positive NAO and AO trend will reverse by late November and December. It should be negative into January.

I have done a more specific European winter outlook.And I will send you my thoughts. We will give Europe and Asia coverage this winter as we think weather will ne newsworthy.

Thanks David.

he said joe said-In his initial thoughts, he was going for a december not as severe as last year, with the cold more spread out in each month, with the real cold to come in Jan / feb.. Overall though, he said he still expected a colder than normal winter for the UK.
    and a few other emails too- joe b clearly thinks this winter will be very cold yay:D

Thanks, redsunset, I realized that later upon reading a thread on Net-weather.

This long-range forecasting game is getting very crowded and there's no real telling how many people are making independent forecasts and how many are repeating blends of what they hear from others. I suspect there is somewhat of a herd mentality involved but even so, I think most of these sources, perhaps not all, are independent and do their own research and forecast development, then of course it's hard to avoid hearing what others are saying but there's also enough of a spread to prove that it isn't just a case of monkey see, monkey do.

I'm optimistic that progress will be made, and in fact believe it already has been made to some extent but I am very realistic about where this project is located on the "discovery" curve -- early days, and whatever the various enthusiastic people say, this remains demonstrably true for all involved. Some seem to think, if I just sound positive enough, it will by magic processes unknown to mortal human beings create a stunning result. Of course, being positive is not a bad thing, but the stunning results will come in five or ten or perhaps more years when somebody's research starts to narrow errors down to manageable leftover quantities. That's what I've said for the past five years and continue to believe, that this is a war of attrition, progress comes about one or two per cent at a time per year of work on the research. This is what makes it a very daunting challenge and turns some away. It is not easy work, once you decide on your methodology, I assume it works this way for all concerned, you find that the main problem you face is sheer complexity.

Just taking my own research as an illustration, I need to consider dozens of factors and do the same research for many different points on a grid, not necessarily everywhere, but certainly two or three dozen sample points on a grid, to get even close to a comprehensive solution. At the moment, I tend to do this by index values rather than any kind of complicated computer programs. I could say realistically that about 10% of error or variance is contained within the problem of subjective interpretation of output, in other words, even if your research model does the right thing, there is that last step of calling the results because otherwise it's just a chart or a map filled with numbers. Anyone who has done any scale of forecasting will realize that having an accurate forecast map is about 90% of the challenge, the other 10 per cent is interpretation. But on top of that, by no means is the research complete so the available guidance is not tremendously better than random noise. I do think there has been progress. Various forecasts have at least called parts of the past few winters reasonably well, despite the prevailing conventional wisdom that cold winters would not return. This in itself was an accomplishment.

But I wouldn't be expecting any "eureka" moments in this science, it is more like a new technology than your classic e equals mc squared sort of physics. It will progress like aviation or rocket technology did, in fits and starts with the occasional big problem. At least with these explosions, everyone can watch without getting hurt. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Hi MT,

With Ireland and the UK about to record their mildest Novembers ever, when do you anticipate the first incursion of polar / arctic air over Ireland ?

Are we looking at the second / third week of December at this stage?

D

Cold has failed to take much advantage of limited opportunities so far, I've noted that when cold was expected from my research findings, the actual outcome was more of a swelling up of the Euro high resulting in somewhat lower temperatures in the eastern part of the U.K. and nearby central Europe but almost no effect on Ireland's temperature trends at all.

As I was expecting perhaps more of a long battle eventually leading to cold winning out in January, this is more like a problem with detail than a completely different outcome. You'll recall that I said that early December should become stormy, anticipating at that point a tightening of the gradient, then cold mid-month, milder towards the end, and finally a longer cold spell in January (mild Feb).

I still think that's the general pattern ahead, and have seen nothing to indicate a major adjustment required, from the general set-up around the northern hemisphere which is probably working out quite well on the larger scale. One thing I note and draw your attention towards is that the extent of arctic air masses around the subarctic regions is quite well advanced. If heights rise at some point in western North America then some of this well-established arctic air is going to get pushed across the pole towards Siberia and European Russia. That's the only real route to sustained cold without a large +NAO signal and that seems to be dealt out of the hand at present. If you get cold this winter it will probably come from a continental source rather than a northerly source.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Any forecasters on boards I could add to the list?

My own Winter and Christmas forecasts are on my on website here and here

My blog is here that I try and outline my long range forecasts.

Cut me some slack. Since having twins updates arent as frequent as once were but the front page forecast is regularly updated.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Cold has failed to take much advantage of limited opportunities so far, I've noted that when cold was expected from my research findings, the actual outcome was more of a swelling up of the Euro high resulting in somewhat lower temperatures in the eastern part of the U.K. and nearby central Europe but almost no effect on Ireland's temperature trends at all.

As I was expecting perhaps more of a long battle eventually leading to cold winning out in January, this is more like a problem with detail than a completely different outcome. You'll recall that I said that early December should become stormy, anticipating at that point a tightening of the gradient, then cold mid-month, milder towards the end, and finally a longer cold spell in January (mild Feb).

I still think that's the general pattern ahead, and have seen nothing to indicate a major adjustment required, from the general set-up around the northern hemisphere which is probably working out quite well on the larger scale. One thing I note and draw your attention towards is that the extent of arctic air masses around the subarctic regions is quite well advanced. If heights rise at some point in western North America then some of this well-established arctic air is going to get pushed across the pole towards Siberia and European Russia. That's the only real route to sustained cold without a large +NAO signal and that seems to be dealt out of the hand at present. If you get cold this winter it will probably come from a continental source rather than a northerly source.

Thank you for the update MT. All eyes east to the continent so!

I still have faith we will get some snow in Ireland this winter, its just more of a long game this year following the early winter last year :)

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

derekon wrote: »
    Thank you for the update MT. All eyes east to the continent so!

I still have faith we will get some snow in Ireland this winter, its just more of a long game this year following the early winter last year :)

D

A north-easterly would be better. From what I can tell easterlies tend to dump all the snow on England leaving us with light patches. It has to pass through the larger part of the island before it gets to us. North-easterlies tend to cut through much less of the uk and we end up with more snow.

That is my observation anyway.:D

Advertisement