Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOARDS.IE VATSIM RTWF

Options
  • 13-10-2011 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

Any up for planning a round the world flight,everybody flies one leg.Dub to Sydney and back.we could prob register a user name for vatsim share the login everyone can put what day suits them we make up a schedule and wehay there we go.We could use vataware to follow progress.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

I can see this will be an outstanding event already :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Dunno about the other flight simmer's here, but due to time constraints I fly only short hops..usually vfr and most likely using ORBX/FTX terrain. Best of luck with your endeavours, though.:)

Nforce wrote: »
    Dunno about the other flight simmer's here, but due to time constraints I fly only short hops..usually vfr and most likely using ORBX/FTX terrain. Best of luck with your endeavours, though.:)

Thanks,right which fsers are on the scrtcher ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

It's my intention to do a round the world flight, but not just yet. The virtual flying club I belong to has one currently under way from Jan to Dec 2011 ("Around the World in 80 Legs"), but I dropped out in April having got as far as Kenya. The problem was that it was becoming a chore rather than being fun, mainly because I found the legs too long, whoch was forcing to fly jets rather than pistons, which I like best (for now).

I did come across someone (in the A2A forums, I think) who completed a round the world trip in a Cub!

Stork

storker wrote: »
    It's my intention to do a round the world flight, but not just yet. The virtual flying club I belong to has one currently under way from Jan to Dec 2011 ("Around the World in 80 Legs"), but I dropped out in April having got as far as Kenya. The problem was that it was becoming a chore rather than being fun, mainly because I found the legs too long, whoch was forcing to fly jets rather than pistons, which I like best (for now).

I did come across someone (in the A2A forums, I think) who completed a round the world trip in a Cub!

Stork

Never really took to the va thing,seems too organized for something virtual.The flight recording programs that come with half of them is a pain in the arse.

• Advertisement

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Never really took to the va thing,seems too organized for something virtual.The flight recording programs that come with half of them is a pain in the arse.

It's a flying club, not an airline, so it's much more relaxed. Members are free to fly what they like, when they like, where they like. There are no routes as such - well, I think there are somewhere on the site but I don't know anyone who actualy flies them. The only scheduled activities are monthly "cross country flights" i.e. a set of 15-30 joined up routes somewhere in the world and weekly "group flights" i.e. a single route with participants chatting on TeamSpeak. All are free to fly or not to fly. Here's how I described the weekly group flight for a newcomer:

A group flight is this: a bunch of guys taking off from airport A (or not) and landing at airport F (or not). Latecomers might take off from airports B C D or E in order to keep up (or not). Nobody minds. It's not a race.

The pilots fly anything they feel like flying...although they will generally tailor the choice to the nature of the flight...but that's not mandatory. If I remember correctly, in my last group flight there was a Cessna 172, a Twin Otter, A Beech King Air, a Maule, an UltraLite and a Dragon Rapide. Quite a range just there, singles, twins, piston engines, turboprops and a hairdryer.

There is no air traffic control. Sometimes pilots make traffic advisory calls, sometimes not. Nobody seems to mind either way.

Radio chatter (i.e. Teamspeak) may be about flight simming - or maybe not. Topics I remember being discussed on group flights include technical issues, payware aircraft, holidays, weather, nice parts of the world to fly in, comedians, actors, movies and cooking.

Pilots may decide to touch and go at any of airports B, C, D or E before continuing their flight, or they might not. HInt: if you're a few miles behind the pack, this is a good opportunity to catch up. Another catchup method is to ignore the planned flight path and fly a shorter intercept course. Again, nobody seems to mind.

All things considered, I'd be surprised if this doesn't constitute the most laid-back and relaxed online flight simming experience there is...

In fact, I think the only requirement is that members submit one PIREP a month. Their tagline is "For the Enjoyment of Virtual Flight and the Building of Friendships".

Stork

storker wrote: »
    It's a flying club, not an airline, so it's much more relaxed. Members are free to fly what they like, when they like, where they like. There are no routes as such - well, I think there are somewhere on the site but I don't know anyone who actualy flies them. The only scheduled activities are monthly "cross country flights" i.e. a set of 15-30 joined up routes somewhere in the world and weekly "group flights" i.e. a single route with participants chatting on TeamSpeak. All are free to fly or not to fly. Here's how I described the weekly group flight for a newcomer:

A group flight is this: a bunch of guys taking off from airport A (or not) and landing at airport F (or not). Latecomers might take off from airports B C D or E in order to keep up (or not). Nobody minds. It's not a race.

The pilots fly anything they feel like flying...although they will generally tailor the choice to the nature of the flight...but that's not mandatory. If I remember correctly, in my last group flight there was a Cessna 172, a Twin Otter, A Beech King Air, a Maule, an UltraLite and a Dragon Rapide. Quite a range just there, singles, twins, piston engines, turboprops and a hairdryer.

There is no air traffic control. Sometimes pilots make traffic advisory calls, sometimes not. Nobody seems to mind either way.

Radio chatter (i.e. Teamspeak) may be about flight simming - or maybe not. Topics I remember being discussed on group flights include technical issues, payware aircraft, holidays, weather, nice parts of the world to fly in, comedians, actors, movies and cooking.

Pilots may decide to touch and go at any of airports B, C, D or E before continuing their flight, or they might not. HInt: if you're a few miles behind the pack, this is a good opportunity to catch up. Another catchup method is to ignore the planned flight path and fly a shorter intercept course. Again, nobody seems to mind.

All things considered, I'd be surprised if this doesn't constitute the most laid-back and relaxed online flight simming experience there is...

In fact, I think the only requirement is that members submit one PIREP a month. Their tagline is "For the Enjoyment of Virtual Flight and the Building of Friendships".

Stork

sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Any up for planning a round the world flight,everybody flies one leg.Dub to Sydney and back.we could prob register a user name for vatsim share the login everyone can put what day suits them we make up a schedule and wehay there we go.We could use vataware to follow progress.

Sharing a VATSIM login is against the code of conduct. You'll be banned from the network for it.

You could all login under the same callsign at different times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

I' currently in the planning stages of replicating Geraldine Mock's round the world record in a carenado (Modified heavily) 180... in the 'Spirit of Columbus' livery :) Dub to sydney? lol unlikely. More like a few weeks to complete it doing 500-600mile legs.

Following her actual route using her autobiography, 38Charlie. Way more fun than 3 747 longhauls.

Firekitten wrote: »
    I' currently in the planning stages of replicating Geraldine Mock's round the world record in a carenado (Modified heavily) 180... in the 'Spirit of Columbus' livery :) Dub to sydney? lol unlikely. More like a few weeks to complete it doing 500-600mile legs.

Following her actual route using her autobiography, 38Charlie. Way more fun than 3 747 longhauls.

Thats nothing,i flew dub to sydney in a helicopter all vfr.

Have sarc detector on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

wow... you seem to enjoy making me feel like replicating a historic event is a 'nothing'

Firekitten wrote: »
    wow... you seem to enjoy making me feel like replicating a historic event is a 'nothing'

I've just had a look at the story of Geraldine Mock's flight. I had never heard of her before now. Very interesting, and quite an achievement (even in FSX ;)).

Stork

Advertisement