Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Laptop for ~500E

Options
  • 13-10-2011 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Just looking for a new laptop, mainly for college. Here are a few pre requirements

Budget of around 500 could stretch maybe to 550, depends on the computer.

Will not be a gaming computer but would like it to have M WORD and the likes for a college student. Main use will be for internet browsing etc.I can take care of antivirus/malware etc myself.

Can be collected from a Cork store or delivered from up the country if necessary. Would like to have it for early next week if ordering by the weekend.Not sure what shops are good for online delivery and all that

The best possible battery life for this price.

Have used Toshibas before and thought they were great.Would they be the best. My HP battery died fairly quickly but it's a good laptop all the same.

Now I know that 500 will probably be enough to get a decent laptop, I just want the BEST laptop I can get for this money.If there are any more specifics I've left out please remind me

Cheers:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Hi guys,
    Just looking for a new laptop, mainly for college. Here are a few pre requirements

Budget of around 500 could stretch maybe to 550, depends on the computer.

Will not be a gaming computer but would like it to have M WORD and the likes for a college student. Main use will be for internet browsing etc.I can take care of antivirus/malware etc myself.

Can be collected from a Cork store or delivered from up the country if necessary. Would like to have it for early next week if ordering by the weekend.Not sure what shops are good for online delivery and all that

The best possible battery life for this price.

Have used Toshibas before and thought they were great.Would they be the best. My HP battery died fairly quickly but it's a good laptop all the same.

Now I know that 500 will probably be enough to get a decent laptop, I just want the BEST laptop I can get for this money.If there are any more specifics I've left out please remind me

Cheers:D

The boys over in the laptop forum are the best bet for advice. The have a stickie informing you to give price range, what it will be used for etc, and then people just reply with their ideas. I'd give the forum a search first. Almost every third post is someone asking a very similar question to you.

For what it's worth, my money would be on any of the Lenovo G570 from saveonlatops.co.uk (online company but good at delivery and very hard to beat for price). There are several models for under 500, with either the sandybridge i3 or i5 processors and between 2 and 6gb of ram. I have one and it seems good build quality, keyboard is nice etc. But you are really better off asking in the laptop forum, lots of guys their work day to day in computing and really know their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

The following seems good value, expecially with the current €110 Toshiba cashback offer

http://www.misco.ie/Product/189423/Toshiba-Satellite-Pro-C660-1LR-Notebook-with-Free-2GB-RAM-and-TechAir-Starter-Kit

Toshiba Satellite Pro C660-1LR Notebook with Free 2GB RAM and TechAir Starter Kit (case & mouse)
    •Intel® Core™ i3-380M Processor 2.53 GHz
    •2 GB DDR3 RAM / 320 GB Hard Disk Drive
    •DVD Super Multi (Double Layer) drive
    •Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
    •Free 2GB RAM and TechAir Starter Kit (so a total of 4GB RAM)

Just a word of warning people on other threads haven't been too impressed with customer support & delivery times, especialluy when they charge €15 for "next day delivery"
    Discussed at:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056377687

Details of the current Toshiba cashback offers are detailed at:
    www.toshibacashback.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Ok thanks lads. Can a mod please move this to the laptop forum? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

edit: took too long :P

Advertisement