Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - With Cat5e Wall Socket ?

Options
  • 13-10-2011 12:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster. I have to cable up some Cat5e but have been running into difficulty in the area of crimping / punching wall sockets so that the RJ45 clip can plug into said socket.

Basically I'm happy I've crimped the male end ( rj45 clip ) correctly as I have done this many times before using this code :

White Orange
    Orange
    White Green
    Blue
    White Blue
    Green
    White Brown
    Brown

which is a crossover cable. However I just can't seem to get the female wall socket to work which is very irritating. The cables have been punched down correctly using the tool.

It seems to work when I test it on a cisco phone using the 2nd port on the cisco phone which acts like a switch.
    So on the cisco phone there is a 2nd port, a cat53 cable plugs in and the other end is a female wall socket, this then has a crossover cable plugged into the socket and the other end plugs into my laptop and it works.

However if I plug my laptop directly into a switch while going through this wall socket it does not work.

I have looked up all colour combo's on google but am now at a loss.

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction preferably with a link to an image that I can work / test off.

Thanks All
    If I haven't explained that proerply or if you require more info just let me know.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

That cable sequence you posted is not crossover.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

pretty sure it was but I'll check it out.
    That's what I have been using for a couple of years and it always worked for me in the past.

What I actually did was pull another cable apart in the past and copied the colour codes from it.

May I ask what is the correct colour codes for crossover if the above is not correct as if it's wrong at 1 end perhaps that's why it's not working for me ?

Here is a link that shows the codes for crossover.
    I have been using the right image which is the same codes as above but have used it on both ends of the cable and it's always worked for me at full speed.

Is there any chance you can send me two images , what I need to crimp on 1 end and the codes for the wall socket on the other end and I will make it up and test it then and let you know if it works or not ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

You can get away with cross-over / straight through cables if the ports are MDI-X, i.e. they adjust automatically. Most equipment is MDI-X now, but not everything which can require having the right choice of straight-through / cross-over cable.

If both ends are wired the same, it is not a crossover cable - if one end is as you describe, and the other end has the orange where the green should be and vice versa, it is a cross over cable.

http://learn-networking.com/network-design/the-difference-between-straight-through-crossover-and-rollover-cables

Note: for Gigabit, the blue/brown pairs may need to be swapped as well ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Hi Swampgas,

thanks for your reply & diagram, I was trying to look for something similiar on the net.

Basically I've looked at the crossover cable diagram and the right cable has the same combinations I've used in making my cables.

So I left the male rj45 plug at one end using the codes from the right image and wrote down the colour codes of the left image.

Then I checked the wall socket plug and wrote down the colours I needed to put in where.

I just made it there and tested it directly on a cisco switch and a cisco phone and it works now !!

Really appreciate your help here, thanks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

I always went with with the below on my straigh through cables - and on the socket also went B .
    EIA/TIA 568B - WIRING STANDARD

PIN WIRE COLOUR
    1 White w/Orange Stripe
    2 Orange
    3 White w/Green Stripe
    4 Blue
    5 White w/Blue Stripe
    6 Green
    7 White w/Brown Stripe
    8 Brown

• Advertisement
Advertisement