Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems watching videos

Options
  • 13-10-2011 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

I have my laptop and xbox hooked up to my router directly, And usually I use the xbox to watch Avi files because its easier to watch on the big screen, However the last few days when I go to videos and click my latop it just loads for ages and if you press any buttons the whole xbox freezes.

I havent change any settings and have tried restarting both connections? Has this happened to anyone or anyone know how to fix the problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

What are you using to stream the files. Do you just have the media shared via windows media server?

I'd download and run this to see if it works http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

(Yeah I know it's for the ps3, but it works grand for the 360).

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

I havent installed anything to stream, xbox will play avi files through its media player, I can usually watch everything from my laptop with no hassle, I dont know why its giving me problems the last few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

:confused:

Wait. What do you do to play the avi files on your xbox?

You go to videos and then is there an extra drive (usb) hooked in to the 360, or are the files shared on your laptop. If they're shared then you're streaming via your laptop......as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

I reckon he's streaming using windows media player as opposed to Windows Media Centre.

Could be loads of different issues!

1. Could be an unusual .avi codec
    2. Your router might need to be refreshed.
    3. You might have had a problematic windows update on the laptop.

In fact, without more details, it could be a million things...

Download TVersity (similar to PS3server mentioned above), it will set up everything you need to stream almost all formats to the Xbox. Simple to install and use. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Haha sorry lads here was me thinkin i was doin somethin technical!

Yeah usually to watch a film i just go over to the videos menu and my laptop is there and all because they are all wired up together and not using wifi.

I know the codecs are okay as I have watched them before on the xbox, I changed my SSID name on my modem the other day but I thought that only effected the wifi.

Will try that later wen I get home and reset the router too.

Cheers lads ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement