Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I bond my new kitten and my Dads dog?!

• 13-10-2011 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi,

We recently adopted a kitten and he has settled in perfectly, loves cuddles and attention, no dirty accidents, eating perfectly and loves to play and hunt (except he cries like mad in the morning and we worked out why...he was in routine in the vets for weeks to be fed very early, no prob now).

The problem is, I also have my Dads dog who I am kind of co-owner to. He has always been the centre of attention and soon, my Dad is going away and we have to mind Buster (dog) in our own house with the kitten.

The thing is Buster hates feral cats and always chases them...except one in particular and also my Aunts cat. Euler (kitten) isn't as intimidated, Id say due to being in the vets for weeks and used to barks etc.

So, I brought Buster to the house, kept him on the lead and left Euler approach and sniff etc. No mad hissing or clawing just the high back and stare. Buster didnt go straight for the kitten either but was all stares and aggitated. Only 3 times did they jump and frighten eachother but its major tension. Buster is a yorkie X by the way.

I really hope they bond or atleast get used to each other soon because they both mean alot to me. I think Buster is seriously jealous.

Does anybody have any tips please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Please, we really need advice here and I trust and appreciate all your opinions and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭tittle mouse

i have 4 dogs(3 rescues) and 3 rescue cats that interact with the dogs so i hope my advice is of some use.

First of all you dont want to make a big deal when you're introducing them, it just makes the situation more tense. You need to have the 2 of them in the same room but distract the dog from the situation by giving him lots of attention and playing with him. Reward Busters good behavior towards the cat but do not punish him if he barks( hell relate getting punished with the cat) instead distract him.

Both of them are going to feel a bit put out by each other for a while because its an unfamiliar situation. It will be easier for the kitten cause shes young and will adjust it will take a bit longer with Buster due to his age.

Both are going to be curious of each other but may also be afraid but give it time. The kitten may retreat behind furniture leave her be she will come out in her own time, Discourage buster from following her as the cat may feel threatened.

Eventually the novelty of the others presence will wear off. Patience and rewards are the key

Two of my cats play with my dogs while the third just ignores them!!!

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Sorry Im replying late.

I took your advice and we put them together for the second time yesterday.
    Surprisingly, there was no mad tension or hissing or growling, not as much as the first time atleast.

Buster was more scared of Euler (kitten), Euler had no problem approaching Buster or following him around. Buster mainly stayed hidden behind our legs but whenever he went to get water, Euler was not happy because he's try eat the kittens food also.

We gave them seperate bowls of water a few metres apart and they kept swapping them.

At one stage I had to pick up the kitten because he was being naughty and Buster did not like that one bit and followed and tried to jump on me.

I honestly think it's pure jealousy and a territorial thing.

We kept the lead off of Buster at all times too and he didnt make a run for the kitten at all which we were delighted about.

After an hour of this, the very final 5 mins, they went for each other, claws and growling. But in the end thats nature so we'll keep trying and lets hope eventually things will be ok.

I keep reassuring both I love them...LOL!, which I do, and praising Buster when he doesnt growl. Sometimes Euler "paws" Buster (no claws). Its just a "back off" thing Id say and vice versa.

Euler is very good with his claws for a kitten, we have NEVER been scratched, nor have guests.

Thanks again for your advice. :D

Advertisement