Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conflicting advice

• 13-10-2011 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

I've just completed my first novel (103K wordcount) and am in the process of proofing, editing, slashing, deleting etc. I have received conflicting advice though when it comes to preparing it for, in the event of someone saying the magical words "Yes, we'd like to see the first three chapters." Might as well dream huh?

Anyway, I have been advised to make sure the paragraph indents are present and correct whilst at the same time being told by someone who's published, albeit a poet, "nah, don't worry about things like indents for now, let you're writing speak for itself first."

Two extremes, any thoughts guys?

P.S Thought I better edit this. My 'albeit a poet' remark is not meant to offend.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think it should be well down the list of considerations. AFAIK publishers have varying standards as to what the paragraph layouts should look like so they're unlikely to reject a book just on that basis. I'd advise you to get a couple of pairs of eyes to read over what you have before you start editing just so you don't go down the track of moving commas about when the plot needs to be reworked.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Yes, I have several readers in place and trust me, the plot needs reworking! I can't believe how convoluted I made it. I have the first three chapters how I want them as I'm entering a comp which requires the first three. That's when a couple of my readers brought up the 'paragraph' suggestions.
    Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Most publishers will give you parameters to follow. Anyways, it's pretty easy to change all that jazz, just go into your formatting settings and change the various paragraph bits. Do it once and it should change your whole document.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Most publishers will give you parameters to follow. Anyways, it's pretty easy to change all that jazz, just go into your formatting settings and change the various paragraph bits. Do it once and it should change your whole document.

Sometimes even for the better :)

Always keep at least 7 copies of your files before making any global changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Publishes often have formats that they expect their authors to use, but for submissions, they are not as strict. The big thing is that it is readable and professional looking.

If it's a paper sub, make sure it's double spaced, one side of the paper only, in a standard font, and 12 point with all pages numbered. Indent paragraphs, but don't put spaces between them. The first paragraph of each new chapter starts a third of the way down the page.

If it's an e-mail sub, keep it simple without weird formatting. Use a standard document type. .doc or .rtf are usually fine. Before you submit, go back and check for non-printing characters like tabs, extra spaces, etc which may muck up the layout on someone else's computer.

• Advertisement

Really appreciate all the tips guys. On the zillion copies I made, I have it double spaced, font size 12, Times New Roman. I found the utility in MS word that lets you cancel out the spacing between paragraphs. Thing is though, when I want to start a new line of dialogue and hit the enter key it 'double spaces' the double space. Actually d'you know what, maybe this is turning into more of a techinical question so feel free to shift it elsewhere.
    Cheers.

Sorry folks, just remembered the arrow keys, that solves the dialogue issue, can't see the wood for the trees sometimes!

Danpad wrote: »
    Really appreciate all the tips guys. On the zillion copies I made, I have it double spaced, font size 12, Times New Roman. I found the utility in MS word that lets you cancel out the spacing between paragraphs. Thing is though, when I want to start a new line of dialogue and hit the enter key it 'double spaces' the double space. Actually d'you know what, maybe this is turning into more of a techinical question so feel free to shift it elsewhere.

Inadvertently answered your own question there :)
    Hold Shift and press Enter to make a soft carriage return without the extra line space.

Thanks, that's a better way than fiddling about with the arrows!

Memo to self: In the next life take the ECDL before embarking on novel.

Advertisement