Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fairview to Clontarf cycleway - under threat?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

How is the cycleway under threat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Details here

It will average 1.7m (5foot6) in height

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I don't live too far away from this. The works involve creating a grassy mound along the existing grassed area between Alfie Byrne Road and the Bull Wall. There will be a wall where the car parks are. I'm not sure if you can walk over the mound or if you need to go through some sort of gates.

There has been a lot of scaremongering about this being a solid wall for the entire length, which isn't true. Nonetheless, on the face of it, it does seem to be an awful interference with an excellent amenity. However, it seems unfair to leave householders to their watery fate (probably uninsured). I'd be interested to know more about alternative engineering solutions.

monument wrote: »
    How is the cycleway under threat?

Don't think it is. The defences will run along the area between the cycleway and the pedestrian walkway next to the sea wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

As an aside to this,

They have been laying pipes beside the cycle track and have left A LOT of mud on the tarmac which will get lovely and slippery once it starts to drizzle so take it handy along there!!

I'm waiting to hear more about the actual build of the flood defence but it doesn't sound too nice in terms of the restriction of view etc.

Protest at 3pm on Sunday, I've just read on twitter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

Don't think it is. The defences will run along the area between the cycleway and the pedestrian walkway next to the sea wall.

As I mentioned the track will still be in place, however the area will be dramatically changed due to the proposed mound/ wall and flood gates.

As an amenity, the area benefits from the wide open spaces and the sea views. These will be absent if the proposal goes ahead.

justo wrote: »
    As an amenity, the area benefits from the wide open spaces and the sea views. These will be absent if the proposal goes ahead.

Should be a nice view from the top of the mound! I was talking to my children about it and their chief concern was whether it would be any good for rolling down. I wonder if that's in the EIS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

And a bit of shelter from the wind...

I wonder if the water main will run on along from bull wall to the causeway? And will they extend the cycle track on top of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Might help get rid of some of the dog walkers leaving me to do ball busting intervals in peace :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

cipo wrote: »
    As an aside to this,

They have been laying pipes beside the cycle track and have left A LOT of mud on the tarmac which will get lovely and slippery once it starts to drizzle so take it handy along there!!

Man up..... man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

1. Wasn't there a suggestion of extending this cycleway into one continuous route all the way around Dublin Bay and what has become of this?

2. Does anyone know how bad the flooding problem at that particular location is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

a148pro wrote: »
    1. Wasn't there a suggestion of extending this cycleway into one continuous route all the way around Dublin Bay and what has become of this?

Some recent discussion here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056412832

Advertisement