Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

copying the outline of a saved pic

Options
  • 13-10-2011 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

hi,
    total amateur here when it comes to digital art and design so hoping i might get an answer here. i'm looking to do an art lesson with my 5th class and i want to hopefully save a picture and use some program that will just show the outline of the picture so the lads can paint it?? is this possible and if so with a free program?! we're looking at graham knuttel pictures (see below) but my 5th class are finding it very hard to draw his pictures.

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

The easiest/quickest way to get a decent enough result for your task would be to install photoshop or gimp. Photoshop costs big money but you can download the trial version (adobe.com) for free. This is fully functional allowing you to save images etc but expires after 30 days. Otherwise you can download Gimp (gimp.org) which is a free program for keeps similar to photoshop.

When you have either program installed, open the image you wish to outline. Run the 'Stamp' filter to get a black & white outline effect. In Photoshop you select the Filter menu at the top and drop down to 'sketch' and then 'stamp'. My attached example is using this method (set at values 1 and 1 in the stamp filter settings). In Gimp, stamp is a Photo Effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

excellent, just what i was looking for!! thanks flanree!

Advertisement