Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Camera to get for a gift

• 13-10-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hey looking to get my gf a camera this christmas. She is mad about photography but only owns a basic digital camera so I was looking to get her a proper camera.. As you can probably tell so far I have no idea about cameras so any recomendaions of a camera that I could get her for around the €400 mark and where?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

your best bet is to let her choose. seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

your best bet is to let her choose. seriously.

100% agree. If herself is into photography and you're not then the best thing is to let her pick... otherwise she may end up be forced into a system that she doesn't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

Might have been a bit strong saying "into" there, she would be a beginer in every sense of the word, shes been hinting that she wants to get into this cause she loves other peoples stuff but would be familar with any systems or cameras herself.. sorry should of been a bit clearer with that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

still, let her choose. some people find that things like the size or shape of their hands affects how easy a camera is to use, so that could swing what suits her away from what you might expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

OK.. if you're not 100% sure then the least risk adverse route would be to purchase a Nikon or Canon DSLR. These are the most popular brands, easier to find lenses, flash guns and other add-ons and easier to move on in the used market.

The only problem might be that you could struggle to purchase the cheaper models in new condition with the €400 budget you mention. I could be wrong here as I'm a bit out of touch with current prices... let me have a sniff around the internet for a few mins.

Edit -

Nikon D3000 with kit lens for €405 -

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5593189/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780865%7CDigital+SLR+cameras%7C25417975.htm

I'm not a Nikon user but I reckon this would be a very good step in the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What about the 1100D? Check out post 5 in this thread here for a link to it for €403 plus shipping :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056337512

Advertisement