Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

53 Grain Hornady Superformance .223 Data

Options
  • 13-10-2011 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭

Chrono'd some 53 grain today.

Out of my 24 Inch Truflite Barrel.
    3550 Average
    3600 High
    3531 Low.
    10 shot string
    Average is Almost 100fps faster than from Hornady Website.
    Very hot today too!

No bunnies out though :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

70 fps ES over ten shots? That seems like rather a lot. Especially with the comparatively low average, would mean a big velocity spike over a shot or two. I doubt it'd make a damn bit of difference on game though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

70 fps ES over ten shots? That seems like rather a lot. Especially with the comparatively low average, would mean a big velocity spike over a shot or two. I doubt it'd make a damn bit of difference on game though.

1 flier 3600
    All others ~3531-3552
    Still faster than rated speed though ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I wouldn't call it a flier. You cannot dimiss the shots that are higher or lower than the average. It was obviously loaded slightly different to the others. I had a similar issue a while ago while chrono-ing some .308 rounds. One round struck 1.5" lower than the previous 4 at 100 yards. When i checked the chrono it was 213 fps slower than the others. All from the same box/batch.

Had i not had the chrono i would have thought i pulled the shot, etc. When infact it was the round. So with 1.5" at 100 yards the drop (from my set zero based on the other rounds) means at 200 and 300 yards i could possibly miss the target.

Fact is they exist and are in the box of ammo. So IWM is correct. 69fps ES is fairly big. What was the SD? Ideally you are looking for an ES of approx 25-30 (max) fps.

Only good thing though is you now know that if a shot drops or climbs and you are sure your hold/POA is spot on then you can almost definitely put it down to one of these "out of the norm" rounds.

A small tip for chrono-ing rounds. Make sure each round is fired with the same intervals between. IOW do not fire off 3/4/5 rounds quickly. Try fire a round. Wait about 20-30 seconds, then fire again. Wait and fire. It gives the same conditions for each shot (roughly).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Great minds Tack.

I was told by an american friend to get my hands on some of those 53grainers, they're meant to have a great BC...

I'm familiar with SPC data.
    And manufacturing process.

We Chrono'd 3 rifles today, so we were fairly consistant. So was Atmospheric pressure, humidity and sunlightfactor.

I thought folk would be interested with .223 53grain data.

• Advertisement

Glensman wrote: »
    Great minds Tack.

I was told by an american friend to get my hands on some of those 53grainers, they're meant to have a great BC...

Just punching in time between Deer stalking.
    And compiling Data for my Ballistic Calc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

It is interesting Tack, I suppose people are just surprised at the ES figures for the ammo.

I've never chrono'd anything in my life. I wonder how Hornady Match or HPS ammo would compare.

Obviously lower speeds but would consistency be better I wonder.

Just punching in time between Deer stalking.
    And compiling Data for my Ballistic Calc.

What BC is it listed at?

Vegeta wrote: »
    It is interesting Tack, I suppose people are just surprised at the ES figures for the ammo.

I've never chrono'd anything in my life. I wonder how Hornady Match or HPS ammo would compare.

Obviously lower speeds but would consistency be better I wonder.

Nothing would fail for 2/3 Sigma from HPS, but would with Hornady or Others as SPC tolerences would be wider with generic Factory

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Did you note the sigma for the 10 shots of Superperformance Tack?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

That's impressive tack. According to jbm those rounds with a 230yard zero would give you a trajectory with a max height of 1.5" at 145 yards and only 3.7" drop at 300, which would literally turn your rifle into a 300 yard point and shoot foxing machine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I just can't help thinking every time I read one of your post now that you are shooting from 25m, LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Chrono'd some 53 grain today.

How do they compare to the 75gr's?

It is interesting Tack, and fair play for doing it. However you have to expect people to either ask questions or give their bit on it aswell.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

1 flier 3600
    All others ~3531-3552
    Still faster than rated speed though ;)
    That is very fast from a 22" barrel .Probably down to a good chamber and quality match barrel .Not very often factory ammo exceeds its advertised speed ......your lucky ;)

tomcat220t wrote: »
    That is very fast from a 22" barrel .Probably down to a good chamber and quality match barrel .Not very often factory ammo exceeds its advertised speed ......your lucky ;)

No Luck, Paul Chrono'd his .243 and his .308 too.
    The Truflite barrels make Factory ammo sing. And Factory Barrels are slower and Truflite are faster.

We were only shooting 309 yard sand 350 odd at the Evil Roy for the Craic.
    I got the boys a nice Fallow Buck for their troubles so all were happy.

Yeah I was very happy with the over all speed of the Superformance, I had tried them out to 300 and odd before but it was not scientific just using hold over, today I clicked it.

Yes Dec, 53 Superformance, Point and shoot, I could hit a fox sized target at 358 or what ever it was with almost no hold over from a 200 yard zero.
    Handy as a Pot under a bed ;)

The boys just left my Gaff on the way to Kerry so,
    Safe Home Lads!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Looks good Tac

Must try and get my hands on some of these, if I can get them locally.

Would like to know how they would go out of a tikka tactical 24 inch .223

Dont have a chrono but still want to given them a go. :)

Hearing some great stuff about them True-Flight barrels :cool:.Standard rifling or canted ?

Hearing some great stuff about them True-Flight barrels :cool:.Standard rifling or canted ?

Cant remember, 1/8 twist 24" Match Crown.

http://www.truefliteriflebarrels.co.nz/13544/5112.html

Cant remember, 1/8 twist 24" Match Crown.

http://www.truefliteriflebarrels.co.nz/13544/5112.html
    Just had read through the site and yes they use a canted type rifling in all their barrels:eek:.Might explain the extra speed and down range performance your getting with those barrels :cool::cool:.Sure would have been nice if they done a 1/7.5 twist for a 6mm !

• Advertisement

Just had read through the site and yes they use a canted type rifling in all their barrels:eek:.Might explain the extra speed and down range performance your getting with those barrels :cool::cool:.Sure would have been nice if they done a 1/7.5 twist for a 6mm !

Wait until my .308 Gets one :D

I mostly wanted to show that the Superformance are FAST, but the odd one is loaded hotter, cooler so be conscious of that when Zero'ing

And they make a Damn fine Fox Round

Well if its any it to go by, most guys using the hornady superformance find the same results .....not very consistant after 2-3 shots .It only has to be good for the first 2 for hunting ,imo.

Tried to order 100 of them from an irish online supplier but apparently their supplier wont have any until early in the new year :eek:

Anyone know anywhere in the west that stocks them? Or would anyone like to swap a box of them for a box of Federal powershok 64gr? I am just mad keen to try the Superformace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Well if its any it to go by, most guys using the hornady superformance find the same results .....not very consistant after 2-3 shots .It only has to be good for the first 2 for hunting ,imo.

i cronoed the 95gr sst superformance and i was getting around 3250fps on AV with my sako/trueflight .243.
    hornady has them advertised as 3185fps

Seems to be a common theme for Superperformance. The .308 stuff is marked as 3,000fps and i chrono'd them at 3185 ave out of a factory 24" barrel.

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    i cronoed the 95gr sst superformance and i was getting around 3250fps on AV with my sako/trueflight .243.
    hornady has them advertised as 3185fps
    Thats some M/V for 95 gr . Quality match barrel should have an effect on velocity. Must make an excellent round for mr deer :D

Does anyone know of an RFD that has them in stock in .223 and will courier them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Tack, if you get the chance, would you chrony some of the regular 55gr v-max stuff to see if the canted lands have any affect on their velocity or is it just the superformance themselves that are producing the higher velocities anyway

declan1980 wrote: »
    Tack, if you get the chance, would you chrony some of the regular 55gr v-max stuff to see if the canted lands have any affect on their velocity or is it just the superformance themselves that are producing the higher velocities anyway

Just back from another 2 week holiday.
    I have no 55 grain stuff to chrono Dec, and I have no intention buying any any time soon.

I am very happy with the 53 grain stuff.

• Advertisement

Just back from another 2 week holiday.
    I have no 55 grain stuff to chrono Dec, and I have no intention buying any any time soon.

I am very happy with the 53 grain stuff.

Nice for some! ;)

The 55gr are flat-based rather than BT, I wouldn't be fussed on them.
    and they are a **** to load.
    Once I shoot out my 50gr heads I'm gonna get the 53gr...

Advertisement