Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italia 90

• 13-10-2011 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭

Let's reminisce, let's be nostalgic.

Watching reeling in the years and the hairs stood up on the back of my neck, I remember those 2 weeks as the best time I ever had on a holiday, I didn’t go away, I was on my holidays from the job I had at that time and I stayed in Dublin.

A brief time when the nation was truly happy, united, we all draped ourselves in green, the women were amorous and the drinking was only celebratory.
    The world loved us, the pope blessed us, our away fans gave us pride, we loved Jack and we all hated Dumpy, we had a hell of a team, and a hell of a time.

It all for me culminated for me at my brother’s wedding and Salvatore Schillaci and that sneaky goal, then the final when west germany won, then Pavorotti sang that song.

Will we ever have that again? What was Italia 90 like for you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Ah nostalgia, it's great isn't it? <stares in to distance>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Toto Schillaci. Bastid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

I was two so I was probably playing with toys and doing other baby related activities

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Jeez. It's beginning to grate, isn't it. Not quite as bad as the usual suspects over here banging on about '66 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I need to wait for these to arrive before I can appreciated this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There was an album you could buy and you could collect coins for every nation
    Anyone remember these? People would be trading for what they needed
    Costa Rica were impossible to get

Gateaux also had a wallchart and gave cards with every cake, I did my best to get the full squad
    Plenty of cakes were eaten that summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

4leto wrote: »
    then the final when Italy won

what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

The shoot-out with Romania stands out for pure drama.Excuse the pedantry,but the OP referred to Italy winning the final when they lost the semi to Argentina;in fact West Germany beat Argentina in the final 1-0 after an Andreas Brehme converted penalty after Klinsmann had characteristically dived.
    The last WC without the backpass rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

For those of you who still can't let it go:
    http://356803.spreadshirt.de/****-schillaci-A6542228

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I was waitering in a hotel in Dundalk that summer...was a pisser working during it and the place was thronged and pretty tough to get around with a tray of drinks, but there was very few fights and everyone had a smile on their face. I did manage to watch some of the games when I wasn't working though...supping pints as a 16 yr old in a smokey old man's pub....them were the days.
    Still recall the huge impromptu street parties after the group win and IIRC the weather was good too...Schillaci ruined it all but it was great whilst it lasted...I don't think it's an overstatement to say it was a pivotal period for the nation, we all got a lot of confidence and enjoyment out of it and I think we were saw ourselves in a new light after it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Ahhh who could forget those anthems, IMHO the best soccer sporting songs EVER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I'd side with the Roy Keane school of thought.

You get knocked out of the quarter finals of the World Cup playing ugly football and celebrate as if you won it????? Would the Germans have celebrated that?

*i bet someone mentions Saipan - well he was right there too *

migozarad wrote: »
    The shoot-out with Romania stands out for pure drama.Excuse the pedantry,but the OP referred to Italy winning the final when they lost the semi to Argentina;in fact West Germany beat Argentina in the final 1-0 after an Andreas Brehme converted penalty after Klinsmann had characteristically dived.
    The last WC without the backpass rule.

LOL
    Was it that much of a blur for me I better correct that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

How big was that bandwagon???

"Go out there and compeeeeeete"

do-do-do-do-do-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh

"We've got a game, we've got a game, we've got a game to win"

"We're gonna put em undah presha!"

:)

That should be our national anthem.

Toto Schillaci. Bastid.

Packie Bonner's ball handling skills. Bastid.

:D

Wertz wrote: »
    I was waitering in a hotel in Dundalk that summer...was a pisser working during it and the place was thronged and pretty tough to get around with a tray of drinks, but there was very few fights and everyone had a smile on their face. I did manage to watch some of the games when I wasn't working though...supping pints as a 16 yr old in a smokey old man's pub....them were the days.
    Still recall the huge impromptu street parties after the group win and IIRC the weather was good too...Schillaci ruined it all but it was great whilst it lasted...I don't think it's an overstatement to say it was a pivotal period for the nation, we all got a lot of confidence and enjoyment out of it and I think we were saw ourselves in a new light after it...

I agree we went on to the world stage and did ourselves proud, it did something to us, Ireland was somehow lifted from Dev's Ireland and I think it was the beginning of growth years to the boom.

It somehow put Ireland on the atlas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

foxyboxer wrote: »

You get knocked out of the quarter finals of the World Cup playing ugly football and celebrate as if you won it????? Would the Germans have celebrated that?

Roy Keane doesn't know what the **** he's talking about. I reckon the man has psychological issues and 10 years of Sir Alec Ferguson whispering in his ear probably didn't help matter.s

Germany only got to the semi-finals in 2006 and the country went wild and treated them like heroes. In the modern era Germany have probably lost more major finals than anyone (82 86 92 02 08) but the achievement of even getting there does not go unappreciated. It's not just all about winning. It's about looking at what you have and seeing can you exceed reasonable expectations. Ireland in 1990 did just that.

OP as to your original question, no that vibe will probably never be recaptured here. Back in those days Ireland was considered more of a second class nation and the people themselves bought into it somewhat so to see an Irish team match the worlds best at something captured the nations imagination and inspired.

Current generations of young Irish people are as confident/arrogant as any other country and the psychological concept of matching the worlds best at something isn't nearly as impressive as it was during WC90.

I'd say Ireland would probably have to actually win Euro 2012 for it to come close to matching those scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

FúCK Roy Keane. And on the topic of football and patriotism, he never performed for Ireland anywhere near as well as he played for Man United. I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Roy Keane - great player.. in the Top 10 of his generation. I've a lot of respect for him as a person.

But by God, he's one miserable son of a bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Not '90 but still. It's strange cos we were losing and some wouldn't see losing you're temper as something to be proud of but this is one of my fav world cup moments.
    Also that white jersey is the nicest strip Ireland ever had. FAI need to go back to Adidas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It was like the whole rave explosion from the same era, great times, great memories but jesus, in retrospect the quality of entertainment was muck

Dotrel wrote: »
    Roy Keane doesn't know what the **** he's talking about. I reckon the man has psychological issues and 10 years of Sir Alec Ferguson whispering in his ear probably didn't help matter.s

Germany only got to the semi-finals in 2006 and the country went wild and treated them like heroes. In the modern era Germany have probably lost more major finals than anyone (82 86 92 02 08) but the achievement of even getting there does not go unappreciated. It's not just all about winning. It's about looking at what you have and seeing can you exceed reasonable expectations. Ireland in 1990 did just that.

OP as to your original question, no that vibe will probably never be recaptured here. Back in those days Ireland was considered more of a second class nation and the people themselves bought into it somewhat.

Current generations of young Irish people are as confident/arrogant as any other country and the psychological concept of matching the worlds best at something isn't nearly as impressive as it was during WC90.

I'd say Ireland would probably have to actually win Euro 2012 for it to come close to matching those scenes.

I somehow find that depressing because you are probably right. We have all become very cynical. Someone somewhere would find something to complain about and dampen the mood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

"Go out there and compeeeeeete"

do-do-do-do-do-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh

"We've got a game, we've got a game, we've got a game to win"

"We're gonna put em undah presha!"

:)

That should be our national anthem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

A brief time when the nation was truly happy, united, we all draped ourselves in green, the women were amorous and the drinking was only celebratory.
    Goddammit, I was only 9 at the time:(

Bambi wrote: »
    It was like the whole rave explosion from the same era, great times, great memories but jesus, in retrospect the quality of entertainment was muck

True. Tho Charltons team played like Brazil compared to the current set-up. I reckon Ireland is going to be the most unpopular team at 2012 if we qualify.

Too young in the 90s, 2002 was a great summer, we had such high hopes, united. Shame we squandered our pride with the greed of the celtic tiger and our "houses", not homes but houses.

Curse upon you seanie fitz and you wánker developers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It was pretty much the first time since the creation of the state that any team from this country had gotten up on a world stage of any kind and put Ireland in the top rankings.
    Our good show, particularly when we beat England 1-1, for the first time let us think that we weren't just some backwards, backwater minor country, but a country who could actually do things at a global level.

Of course, I was only 8 at the time so I wasn't aware of any of this. All I remember is how fncking awesome that summer was. Heard "Put 'em under pressure" on Today FM the other morning. Brought a big smile to my face.

Anyone who remembers that summer should read Roddy Doyle's "The Van". Good book, but it's set against a backdrop of that summer, great descriptions of the mood of the country at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

Dan133269 wrote: »
    FúCK Roy Keane. He's a cúnt. And on the topic of football and patriotism, he never performed for Ireland anywhere near as well as he played for Man United. I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

As Roy would say..What have you won ? anyone who says he never performed for Ireland, knows **** all about football. clueless..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Great days and I was only 11! I can still remember the sick feeling in my stomach when I thought we were gonna lose to England until Sheedy popped up with a belter! The Romania game was the highlight tho, remember me Da throwing me up in the air and then off into town to have a look at all the craic that went on. Great days never to be repeated!

Only downside was me missed Alf :( :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Loved every minute of it, in a camper van with the lads pissed from morning 'til night. Best holiday ever, and I've had some good ones since( including honeymoon).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Dan133269 wrote: »
    FúCK Roy Keane. He's a cúnt. And on the topic of football and patriotism, he never performed for Ireland anywhere near as well as he played for Man United. I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

You may not like Keano, but don't let that blind you to the fact that he was one of Ireland's best midfielders ever.

70 caps for his country, team captain after Andy Townsend & some dogged displays & important goals for the country that helped us reach two World Cup competitions.

If you think Keano never grafted as hard for Ireland as he did for United, you either never saw him play in a green shirt, or you haven't a fucking clue what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

mikemac wrote: »
    There was an album you could buy and you could collect coins for every nation
    Anyone remember these? People would be trading for what they needed
    Costa Rica were impossible to get

Gateaux also had a wallchart and gave cards with every cake, I did my best to get the full squad
    Plenty of cakes were eaten that summer

Ya I remember that,dont think I collected all the coins,I was too busy collecting World Cup 90 stickers,ended up sending away for the ones I was missing to finish the collection

kfallon wrote: »
    Great days and I was only 11! I can still remember the sick feeling in my stomach when I thought we were gonna lose to England until Sheedy popped up with a belter! The Romania game was the highlight tho, remember me Da throwing me up in the air and then off into town to have a look at all the craic that went on. Great days never to be repeated!

Only downside was me missed Alf :( :pac:

Not a problem. You can still catch the episodes you missed on his official website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

godscop wrote: »
    As Roy would say..What have you won ? anyone who says he never performed for Ireland, knows **** all about football. clueless..
    There's no doubt he performed for Ireland but he's still a miserable knob

Italia 90 could be paralleled to the celtic tiger bubble years.

Ireland got to the WCQF by scoring just 2 goals adopting a route one approach.

Bonner lobs it forward to the big man and everyone feeds off the scraps while hassling and harrying when the opposition have posession.

Meanwhile Eamon Dunphy became public enemy number one by persistently pointing this out. Dunphy was the Morgan Kelly in the bubble parallel.
    People were so irrationally exuberant that they just didn't want to hear or know the cold hard facts.

As for the question of Keane never fulfilling his potential. He'd be the first to admit he's not the most skilled player. He had the requisite skill for top flight football but he was certainly one of the fittest. At United he would simply win the ball and give to the skilled players (Kanchelsis, Cantona et al), the classic playmaker, thus when playing for Ireland he was surrounded by less talented players and this was painfully obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Dotrel wrote: »
    OP as to your original question, no that vibe will probably never be recaptured here.

I don't know man i think the atmosphere in this country at the moment is ripe for a celebration of epic proportions. Even last week with the rugby squad in NZ you could feel peoples hopes and anticipation rising. I think if we had made it through to the semis we would have been partying like it's 1999 (or 90)
    Unfortunatly i think we are going to have to wait a while as there isn't much on the horizon at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I remember being part of a 15 man conga line of Irish guys in a bar on Long Island when we put Romania out. The rest of the day is rather hazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

That breathy vocal at the start of Put 'Em Under Pressure still sends a chill down my spine...even though I was fairly sick of hearing it 10 times a day back then.
    Some really great music that summer too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Dunphy hasnt chnged much in his opinion :)

seamus wrote: »
    It was pretty much the first time since the creation of the state that any team from this country had gotten up on a world stage of any kind and put Ireland in the top rankings.
    Our good show, particularly when we beat England 1-1, for the first time let us think that we weren't just some backwards, backwater minor country, but a country who could actually do things at a global level.

Of course, I was only 8 at the time so I wasn't aware of any of this. All I remember is how fncking awesome that summer was. Heard "Put 'em under pressure" on Today FM the other morning. Brought a big smile to my face.

Anyone who remembers that summer should read Roddy Doyle's "The Van". Good book, but it's set against a backdrop of that summer, great descriptions of the mood of the country at the time.

That's called a draw. :pac:

You may not like Keano, but don't let that blind you to the fact that he was one of Ireland's best midfielders ever.

70 caps for his country, team captain after Andy Townsend & some dogged displays & important goals for the country that helped us reach two World Cup competitions.

If you think Keano never grafted as hard for Ireland as he did for United, you either never saw him play in a green shirt, or you haven't a fucking clue what you're talking about.

Hi Roy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

chin_grin wrote: »
    Ah nostalgia, it's great isn't it? <stares in to distance>
    its not what it used to be...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Will we ever have that again?

Not likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's called a draw. :pac:
    Not here it wasn't ;)

its not what it used to be...

Ah Peig how are you and your life of hardship?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

There's no doubt he performed for Ireland but he's still a miserable knob

I woudnt say he's a knob, he speaks the truth and people dont like to hear that.

weiland79 wrote: »
    I don't know man i think the atmosphere in this country at the moment is ripe for a celebration of epic proportions. Even last week with the rugby squad in NZ you could feel peoples hopes and anticipation rising. I think if we had made it through to the semis we would have been partying like it's 1999 (or 90)
    Unfortunatly i think we are going to have to wait a while as there isn't much on the horizon at the moment.

Hope you're right.

Also, we might have a chance to party next year. We 'only' have to beat Estonia to qualify for 2012. Tho knowing this team that won't be as straightforward as is looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I was 11, still remember that from a footballing point of view the entire tournament was awful. Over defensive, Maradona getting kicked all over the shop again, the Cameroonians kicking everything that moved, Klinsmann diving everywhere. To quote Roddy Doyle in one of his books: "we beat England 1-1, lost to Egypt 0-0, and drew with the Dutch".

• Advertisement
Advertisement