Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italia 90

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yeah Dunphy was hated at the time
    Nobody wanted to hear what he had to say

He said years later his car was surrounded when he arrived back to Dublin airport and there was tense scenes but he managed to drive away ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

LOL
    At the England game I actually witnessed grown men bawling their eyes out with pride.

Then from the above clip I remember Dumphy I suppose he became a star because of that competition with his trademark controversial statements.

Its only now I realise he was right, a lot of the credit went to Jack, but when you look at the team we had it was truly a great team, we had world class players.

"ohh ahh Paul Mc Grath Ohh ahh Paul Mc Grath"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Hi Roy

Hey Trigger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I remember waking up and soiling myself, the joys if infancy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

foxyboxer wrote: »
    That's called a draw. :pac:

Not against The English it's not :pac:

As for Keane, his performances against Portugal and Holland at home in the qualifiers for WC 2002 were two of the best I have ever seen from an Ireland player, I would say only Paul McGrath in Giants Stadium was better (and even then Keane had some performance that day too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Dan133269 wrote: »
    FúCK Roy Keane. He's a cúnt. And on the topic of football and patriotism, he never performed for Ireland anywhere near as well as he played for Man United. I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

Lansdowne. September 2001. Whistle blows. Overmars on the ground. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I remember waking up and soiling myself, the joys if infancpuberty

FYP :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

mikemac wrote: »
    Yeah Dunphy was hated at the time
    Nobody wanted to hear what he had to say

He said years later his car was surrounded when he arrived back to Dublin airport and there was tense scenes but he managed to drive away ok

While some of ED opinions may be valid how can anyone take him seriously when he comes out with idiotic quotes like "we haven't a hope of qualifying" when just two games stand between us and qualification (against what we now know is lesser opposition)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

I wonder where KeithAFC was during Italia 90....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I'll never forget my Ma jumping off the couch screaming when Packie Bonner saved the peno against Romania and our cat who was sitting behind her freaked out and attacked her. Ahahaha.

Also, there were cars driving round the streets, beeping horns while we all climbed on, shouting and screaming. GREAT TIMES!!!

Put em' under pressure. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

Put em' under pressure. :pac:

Whod have thought a few years later the IMF would use this as their slogan against us the bastads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I can clearly remember the shoot-out between Ireland and Romania at the 1990 World Cup. I was with my family and we were on the Rosslare- Cherbourg ferry bound for a camping holiday in France.

The match went into extra time as the ferry docked at Cherbourg and despite numerous intercom announcements for people to make their way back to their cars for dis-embarking, nobody was going anywhere – this was our first time in the World Cup and nobody wanted to miss it. There were hundreds of people clustered around a couple of (quite small) tv’s and the atmosphere was (not to sound clichéd) electric.

When David O’Leary scored the winning penalty the whole boat went mad – people jumping around hugging strangers etc. I can remember the eventual disembarking of the ferry. Hundreds of cars poured into the port with people hanging out of windows, beeping horns and generally going crazy – how there weren’t any accidents is probably a minor miracle. The bemused faces of the French customs officials in the port only added to the surreal situation. Even now 21 years later it still makes me smile.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ah Italia 90....

My mother bought me a cheap Ireland jersey in Dunnes. It said "Bonner" on the back and truth be known I didnt have an iota who he was. I was allowed up to the local bar with my friends and given 20p. It was 10p for a pint of raza. And we gathered as much of the complementary finger food as we could and watched the game. Sorted :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I remember feeling sorry for the barmen, but I will add very grateful as well, doing the nation a great favour. I was in Magnums bar in Oconnel street for the Rumanian penalty shoot out, I was so tense, to distract myself I went to buy a pint. I got the pint and OLeary shot that shot and the whole pint went into the air.

Then the crowd spilled out onto O Connell street in pure bliss, not a car in sight, a wonderful wonderful time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I'd side with the Roy Keane school of thought.

You get knocked out of the quarter finals of the World Cup playing ugly football and celebrate as if you won it????? Would the Germans have celebrated that?

*i bet someone mentions Saipan - well he was right there too *

Italy 90 was amazing. We may have only jsut scraped our way through and yes, palyed some ugly football, but it was more about the spectacle and the atmosphere. Wed never palyed football on the world stage before, the whole country seemed to be united, all i remember from back then was everyone seeming to be in a great mood, the cars out on the road beeping their horns, the drama, the songs, amazing time to be around for. I was only 10, but i still remember it and am glad i was there for it.

I was 9 during it. I found the Romania shoot out too tense to watch.
    I went outside for a stroll around to calm the nerves.
    The streets were eerily empty, no cars or even dogs around.

Suddenly, I heard a huge communal roar from around the estate.
    I made it back just in time for "YES WE'RE THERE!!!!"

One of those surreal experiences I'll always remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Italia 90 could be paralleled to the celtic tiger bubble years.

Ireland got to the WCQF by scoring just 2 goals adopting a route one approach.

Bonner lobs it forward to the big man and everyone feeds off the scraps while hassling and harrying when the opposition have posession.

Meanwhile Eamon Dunphy became public enemy number one by persistently pointing this out. Dunphy was the Morgan Kelly in the bubble parallel.
    People were so irrationally exuberant that they just didn't want to hear or know the cold hard facts.

As for the question of Keane never fulfilling his potential. He'd be the first to admit he's not the most skilled player. He had the requisite skill for top flight football but he was certainly one of the fittest. At United he would simply win the ball and give to the skilled players (Kanchelsis, Cantona et al), the classic playmaker, thus when playing for Ireland he was surrounded by less talented players and this was painfully obvious.

Who cares how we got there! We got to the quarter finals of the world cup!!! :eek::D

Italia 90 was fantastic, why are people trying to rain all over it? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It was a great world cup. I was really hoping for an all England final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Was a shocking bad penalty from Daniel Timofte

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Bobby Robson was never gonna get his England team to the final. They just weren't good enough. TBH we'd have had a good chance of making the final with our England team if we hadn't drawn Italy in the QF's.

I remember Cameroon beating Argentina in the first game 1 nil and thinking WTF,thats not supposed to happen :)

And then Roger Milla dancing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

It was a good world cup, not a great world cup. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

The place will go mental if we qualify for Euro 2012
    C'mon Ireland!!!

The Van got close to what it was really like watching it in the pub

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

RonMexico wrote: »

Great times!!!
    Remember when the country was like that after a Rugby match!!!

Oh yeah!!! Never!!! ;)

• Advertisement

Always remembered this montage BBC did for Cameroon. They really were the stars of that dour World Cup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY1EKhCVzx0&t=5m23s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You couldn't even select Ireland! Good game though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

4leto wrote: »
    Salvatore Schillaci and that sneaky goal,

Will we ever have that again? What was Italia 90 like for you

Well my aunt went to italy at the time (not related to the soccer) and brought me back a nice present of a juventus jersey........guess the name that was on the back. Got a few kickings for that! In fairness i was 8 so did'nt have the cop on not to wear it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

godscop wrote: »
    I woudnt say he's a knob, he speaks the truth and people dont like to hear that.
    I don't dispute he speaks the truth but he's still a miserable knob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Fu8kin get to the QF of the WC without winning a game with the team he had,Jack Charlton was one of the most overated managers in football bar none,top of his class for corporate gigs though even if he had to miss out on team talks to catch the filthy lucre.Roy Keane,most overated player for ireland ever,"ooh,Roy clatters Overmars",what a player.Liam Brady,Johnney Giles there was decent players and Irishmen,came home to play every time not stay in Manchester watching cricket.Dunphy was dead right at the time and is still right today about Trappatoni,feckin crowd going ballistic the other night when we won a poxy corner,you would swear we had scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

was my first tournament i followed proper. was only 5 for euro 88 but have some memories nonetheless. the only downside is that it was best group of players we ever had for this WC and euro 88 and we should have done better. big jack like trap wouldnt allow the players to express themselves, trust them even when we had better players than the england team who get to the semis. we could have won the wc even.

It still ranks as Ireland pivotal sporting moment, it was a time etched in anyone's memory who lived it. I do remember the football, but mainly I remember the united euphoria of that time, I smile as I write this.

Yes I agree PERHAPS we could have done better, but we done good enough, it was the World Cup, the most competitive and coveted sporting achievement in the world. No other sport come close to it for the glory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

tipptom wrote: »
    Fu8kin get to the QF of the WC without winning a game with the team he had,Jack Charlton was one of the most overated managers in football bar none,top of his class for corporate gigs though even if he had to miss out on team talks to catch the filthy lucre.Roy Keane,most overated player for ireland ever,"ooh,Roy clatters Overmars",what a player.Liam Brady,Johnney Giles there was decent players and Irishmen,came home to play every time not stay in Manchester watching cricket.Dunphy was dead right at the time and is still right today about Trappatoni,feckin crowd going ballistic the other night when we won a poxy corner,you would swear we had scored.

Roy Keane overated ? yeah all the ex United players would agree.:rolleyes:
    Who was better in that irish side ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Great times!!!

Oh yeah!!! Never!!! ;)

After the 6 Nations win it was pretty mad, I think! Champagne and everything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

godscop wrote: »
    Roy Keane overated ? yeah all the ex United players would agree.:rolleyes:
    Who was better in that irish side ?
    Any players who turned up for all the training sessions and matches,which all of the other man u players did for their respective national teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

migozarad wrote: »
    The shoot-out with Romania stands out for pure drama.

I remember jumping up and breaking the light shade in my parents living room when O'Leary scored and that was from a seated postion.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Was pretty much like this

Great memories from them 2 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

tipptom wrote: »
    Any players who turned up for all the training sessions and matches,which all of the other man u players did for their respective national teams.

Did it ever occur to you that he was injured ? And if he missed a couple of friendlies, so what. Champions league games, FA cup games. How many other players in that squad, played as many games for their clubs ? How many times did Giggs play for Wales ? Yeah play every single game and get burnt out for the crucial end of season games ! makes loads of sense to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Oh yeah!!! Never!!! ;)

What are you on about Rugby for? The thread is about Italia 90 last time I checked. More of the same old divisive bullshít you get from some in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Italia 90 was a success insofar as that it gave us confidence that we could achieve something as a sporting nation. A place in the quarter finals is something even England haven't bettered since that same tournament.

However, and there is a however, that squad was probably the best we've ever had and some people think they were wasted playing such negative tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

St.Spodo wrote: »
    that squad was probably the best we've ever had and some people think they were wasted playing such negative tactics.

Undoubtedly it was our best squad and if we had a more positive/competent manager we could have done even better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement