Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italia 90

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

the final was the worst ever in livin memory...

maradona took his side almost by himself to the final. argentina were brutal in the final and had no answer for the masters.

they also were the first team to have someone sent off in the final if i stand corrected.

other memorable moments...

'that music' in the opening game..

cameroon 1 argentina 0... with the match officials looking on in awe before the kick off as maradona did his keepy ups.

in hindsight football is b0llocks now...

euro 88 italy 90 and usa 94 had much more memories that 'modern' finals have..

its all money now, celb b0llocks, wives, orange football boots, broken metatarsals, corruption, boring games......

look at england lol..

the daily tabloids are probably creaming themselves already ahead of euro 2012

god help england.

I to get that impression, one bunch of millionaires playing with another.

Stephen Ireland baffles me, who would not give their left testicle to play for their county, never mind their country. I suppose that was the whole roy keane thing.

But this thread is not about football its about that time and the bliss and what it done for us.

nice_very wrote: »
    88 and 90 were awesome, I was 12 and 14 and will never, ever ever forget those iconic words of George Hamilton:

"..a nation holds its breath.."

Jesus I was older and I will never forget that

Like the British one

They think it's all over......................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

4leto wrote: »
    Like the British English one

They think it's all over...

...it is now!

/end thread.

P.S. FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

It was simply fantastic times and i truely believe a turning point for the country as a whole. To the begrudgers you have no idea what it meant to the country just to get that far in a tournament to the football people of this nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I had a great summer , loved the footie .

Of course my team went out in the Semi Final to Germany !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

I was in a convent school getting ready for the leaving cert. The nuns used to bring in a transistor radio to class so we could listen to the match instead of studying. Then running home to watch the match and switching over to the Den for Zig & Zag doing Eamonn Grumpy and Johnny Stiles and scribbling all over the screen. The whole country shutting down apart from the pubs - empty streets during the matches and then full of cars beeping their horns and people wearing green hugging and shouting and singing all the way home, everybody was in great form and the weather was brilliant too. What a summer.

I'm amazed I passed the exams in the end.

http://youtu.be/Pazh__1Kuus
    Hey this is the actual piece of film I seen in reeling back the years, but unfortunately the sound has been disabled. But look at it and just remember those songs, put em under pressure and give it a lash jack and all the others.

People who lived it will remember it with glee and fondness as we knew what it meant. People who didn't or were to young, you have to imagine what Ireland was like before Germany 88 and Italia 90. We were nothing, on the fringes of Europe only visited by Americans looking for their ancestry or the travelling back packers. Our main export was people our political system was corrupt, we were for all intent and purposes a third world nation, a banana republic.

Then suddenly here we were on the global scene doing ourselves very proud, our travelling fans became ambassadors getting positive reports amd worldwide news coverage, we suddenly realised, hey we are irish and we are not so bad. Then I think with that confidence ......................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

http://youtu.be/Pazh__1Kuus
    Hey this is the actual piece of film I seen in reeling back the years, but unfortunately the sound has been disabled. But look at it and just remember those songs, put em under pressure and give it a lash jack and all the others.

People who lived it will remember it with glee and fondness as we knew what it meant. People who didn't or were to young, you have to imagine what Ireland was like before Germany 88 and Italia 90. We were nothing, on the fringes of Europe only visited by Americans looking for their ancestry or the travelling back packers. Our main export was people our political system was corrupt, we were for all intent and purposes a third world nation, a banana republic.

Then suddenly here we were on the global scene doing ourselves very proud, our travelling fans became ambassadors getting positive reports amd worldwide news coverage, we suddenly realised, hey we are irish and we are not so bad. Then I think with that confidence ......................

Unlike the English we could drink a bar dry and not destroy it afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Bu Bu busby busby busby busby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Country was overrun with twats policing other people for not "getting behind the lads" (read: being mindlessly patriotic). Kinda like AH sometimes.

stovelid wrote: »
    Country was overrun with twats policing other people for not "getting behind the lads" (read: being mindlessly patriotic). Kinda like AH sometimes.

I suppose Dumphy did suffer that, but hey, some would say he was vindicated and he did get Irish media stardom from it, its fair to say he is one of our most famous journalists, we all know him.

But I never noticed any disgruntlement in general at that time of those tournaments just joy. I would love to see it again, but I don't think so, it will never mean as much.

Let us see what Trappo's army can do.

I suppose Dumphy did suffer that, but hey, some would say he was vindicated and he did get Irish media stardom from it, its fair to say he is one of our most famous journalists, we all know him.

While I was being facetious, Dunphy was treated horrendously for puncturing the bauble. Hard to imagine now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

It was the birth of that annoying Olay chant.
    "olay olay olay olay
    olay olay
    We're all part of Jackie's army
    We're all of to Italy
    And we'll really shut them up
    When we win the world cup
    'cause Ireland are the greatest football team"

Always wondered if someone confused 'olé' for being an italian chant rather then a spanish one.
    Anyway the chant has been adopted for any Irish event now and really gets on my tits.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

OldGoat wrote: »
    It was the birth of that annoying Olay chant.
    "olay olay olay olay
    olay olay
    We're all part of Jackie's army
    We're all of to Italy
    And we'll really shut them up
    When we win the world cup
    'cause Ireland are the greatest football team"

Always wondered if someone confused 'olé' for being an italian chant rather then a spanish one.
    Anyway the chant has been adopted for any Irish event now and really gets on my tits.

It wasn't even an original rewording of God Save Ireland. Scotland used it in 1978 and Ireland just changed some of those lyrics 12 years later.

I remember being right up at the front of a Prince concert here in 1990 and the crowd were chanting Ole Ole Ole at him. He just looked at them with an expression of bewilderment and contemptuous amusement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I remember it all so well but Dave O'Learys penalty would have to be the most memorable for the occasion that was in it .It's just a pity that Liam Brady never got to shine at the world cup finals for Ireland .I still have all the news cuttings and player photoshoots of the event .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I'll never forget my Ma jumping off the couch screaming when Packie Bonner saved the peno against Romania and our cat who was sitting behind her freaked out and attacked her. Ahahaha.

Also, there were cars driving round the streets, beeping horns while we all climbed on, shouting and screaming. GREAT TIMES!!!

Put em' under pressure. :pac:

Your cat was a Romania supporter? Wierd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

mikemac wrote: »
    There was an album you could buy and you could collect coins for every nation
    Anyone remember these? People would be trading for what they needed
    Costa Rica were impossible to get

Gateaux also had a wallchart and gave cards with every cake, I did my best to get the full squad
    Plenty of cakes were eaten that summer

That coin album was from Esso, our local Esso was bombarded with kids every week when the new coin came out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I remember changing the words of song when they lost.

We are all part of Jackies army
    we are all coming home from Italy
    we didn't shake them up
    we never won the world cup
    we are all coming home with
    our tails between our legs

• Advertisement

we didn't shake them up

I see how you got your name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

You may not like Keano, but don't let that blind you to the fact that he was one of Ireland's best midfielders ever.

70 caps for his country, team captain after Andy Townsend & some dogged displays & important goals for the country that helped us reach two World Cup competitions.
    also ruined our chances of doing well in one tornument , so in that respect he let the player's down , the fans down , the nation down ,
    he's an utter cúnt in the same mould as the Bertie Ahern's of this world ,
    will never forgive him , will never acknowledge him or his achievements

i'll take Paul Mcgrath anyday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Anyone else paint their dog green white and orange?

cos i didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I was 17 years of age and never followed soccer so never had a clue there was a world cup let alone Ireland actually having a soccer team.
    Remember hearing the old fella roaring downstairs and came down to see what all the fuss was about...
    "Ireland are winning" he was saying...
    "winning what"?
    "in the world cup" he replied..
    "what world cup,,,and since when did Ireland have a soccer team"....I said
    I was totally clueless about soccer...always played it but never realized how big it really was until then.
    Back then it was all the fúcking GAA....now there's a shower of cvnts I wouldn't piss on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

baddebt wrote: »
    also ruined our chances of doing well in one tornument , so in that respect he let the player's down , the fans down , the nation down ,

Ah now, Keane's a surly f*cker yes, but comparing him to Bertie?
    The Berties were the 'suits' in the FAI lording it up big time, with their travelling to the World Cup in Premium with the players in Coach, and their fancy hotels rooms with the squad training on a 'parking lot'.

Keane took a stand against that BS (arguably at the wrong time yes, but he railed against it nonetheless). However, his attempts proved fruitless in the end as the FAI remains today, almost a decade later, the same as always.

A parallel could be drawn with the economy currently. People will recommend changes to the system vocally by means of demonstration or recommended legislation but the system in this country will never change no matter what we do.

Dotrel wrote: »

we didn't shake them up

What has that got to do with it? Not everyone is a soccer sucker like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Why post in a thread about it if you don't give a ****e either??.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

Wish I remembered it, I was only 8 and too busy playing with Sylvanian families! I watch 'The Van' when I get homesick and I always wish I was old enough at the time to have experienced the buzz of it all :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Come on Eileen

There is an Irish Pub in Sydney and every Saturday night the last song is always Put them under pressure. It also has a big screen and it shows the whole penalty shoot out from the Romania game, and it is like being back watching it live. the place goes absolutely mental when the final penalthy goes in. It is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

baddebt wrote: »

you can't compare keano to bertie ahern. he had to guts to stand up the shambles that was our preparation for the WC in 02, the Fai and that BS that went with it. we would not have got to the world cup with keano, look at the heroic performances he put in against portugal at home, the dutch home and away to get us there in the first place. at least roy didnt preside over the biggest fcuk up this country has ever known

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Haven't seen that in years. Brilliant.

The start of the Celtic tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I was only 9 at the time of the 1990 world cup but I was a huge soccer fan,used watch the 3pm games on Sports Staduim and collect Roy of The Rovers,I remember everything about Italia 90,the build up to it,collecting the stickers,got a Jack The Lad t-shirt and cap,going to the pub to watch the Egypt game stands out,sitting down in front of the biggest TV screen I had ever seen before,I think me and my mates spent most of the first half just chatting about the size of the screen while drinking coke and eating Taytos,to this day i dont think the pub has been that packed since,match finished nil all draw,returning home and listening to my father and brother arguing over the result and it ending in "yera they wont go much further" :D:D

There is an Irish Pub in Sydney and every Saturday night the last song is always Put them under pressure. It also has a big screen and it shows the whole penalty shoot out from the Romania game, and it is like being back watching it live. the place goes absolutely mental when the final penalthy goes in. It is brilliant.

Scruffy Murphy's by any chance? I hated that kip.

Why post in a thread about it if you don't give a ****e either??.
    Why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Were there any hairdressers or barbers in Ireland back then. Shocking stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

the final was the worst ever in livin memory...

maradona took his side almost by himself to the final. argentina were brutal in the final and had no answer for the masters.

they also were the first team to have someone sent off in the final if i stand corrected.

other memorable moments...

'that music' in the opening game..

cameroon 1 argentina 0... with the match officials looking on in awe before the kick off as maradona did his keepy ups.

in hindsight football is b0llocks now...

euro 88 italy 90 and usa 94 had much more memories that 'modern' finals have..

its all money now, celb b0llocks, wives, orange football boots, broken metatarsals, corruption, boring games......

look at england lol..

the daily tabloids are probably creaming themselves already ahead of euro 2012

god help england.

Rose tinted glasses tbh. Its telling that none of your favourite memories include any actual games. Italia 90 was great for the craic we had with Ireland in it, but football wise it was the worst international tournament I've ever seen. The football was awful, and destroyed by the back pass rule.

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    Back then it was all the fúcking GAA....now there's a shower of cvnts I wouldn't piss on.

They're probably quite happy about that tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

flahavaj wrote: »
    Rose tinted glasses tbh. Its telling that none of your favourite memories include any actual games. Italia 90 was great for the craic we had with Ireland in it, but football wise it was the worst international tournament I've ever seen. The football was awful, and destroyed by the back pass rule.

as opposed to the drab games we have now and the wonderful 'zonal' marking, lol.

maybe you should dig out some videos of italia 90, you clearly missed most of the good goals.

I have anything but rose tinted glasses, you must be thinking of someone on the soccer forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I to get that impression, one bunch of millionaires playing with another.

Stephen Ireland baffles me, who would not give their left testicle to play for their county, never mind their country. I suppose that was the whole roy keane thing.

But this thread is not about football its about that time and the bliss and what it done for us.

not to mention carlos ' i cant be assed to play for 200 grand a week' tevez..

and there are plenty more like him.

• Advertisement

Well yeah. If I was a neutral watching Ireland play back then, I would have changed the channel. But I wasn't a neutral so I hung on every kick of the ball in agony and ecstasy, as occasions each game was the greatest sporting occasion I watched because of what it meant to me and all around me.

But I didn't really want this to be a football thread more a nostalgic thread of which we talk about the event and what it meant to them and their stories from that time. There has being some great posts and great stories. A good thread even if I do say so myself:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Great times.
    Hard to imagine similar times again really.

Was youngish but will always remember the cars with the flags and people hanging out.
    Orange and crisps down the local.
    Grown men crying with glee!
    And of course Put 'em Under Pressure. I'll second that for our National Anthem.

Great times indeed...

He was prepared to give his left testicle, just not his new hair-hat.

as opposed to the drab games we have now and the wonderful 'zonal' marking, lol.

maybe you should dig out some videos of italia 90, you clearly missed most of the good goals.

I have anything but rose tinted glasses, you must be thinking of someone on the soccer forum.

I have videos of Italia 90. It was brutal. Worst World Cup ever if you take Ireland's participation out of the equation. A few good goals doesn't alter the fact that there were very few classic games.

It's generally agreed that WC90 was the worst world cup in history. So much so that they changed the back-pass rule in part due to the negative football displayed.

I remember the media saying Ireland v England was considered the worst game in the first series of group games. I can only imagine after that that Ireland v Egypt was probably the worst game in the tournament as a whole. The Egyptian play was probably the most despicable example of gamesmanship and time-wasting that I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I have videos of Italia 90. It was brutal. Worst World Cup ever if you take Ireland's participation out of the equation. A few good goals doesn't alter the fact that there were very few classic games.

I can remember every word cup properly back to 1982.

Best world Cup: 1982

Best Team: Brazil 1982 (I know they didnt win the tournament :o - but these things happen)

Best game: Brazil v Italy 1982 world Cup

Best player Ive seen in a world cup: maradonna

Most Shocking Incidents: The Kuwaiti Sheiks against France and the German goalkeeper Schumacher with his outrageous assault against Battison. I dont think he even got a yellow card. Shocking.

Memories - So vivid in my head. I was so young but it seems like yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I have videos of Italia 90.

Put 'em up!

I too was 17 at the time, shocking how this thread exposes the youth of some posters and the age of others (/me hides :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Agreed. A terribly negative Argentina made it to the final.

Italy and England were the two most positive sides during that month - would have made for a better final IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

I was 11 when Italia 90 was on. I was given the task of taping the Irish matches by my father whilst he'd be in the pub partying. The night Ireland got through to the Quarter-finals was a good one. My Grandmother was looking after me, my sister and my brother.

My dad came in from the pub roaring drunk, singing and dancing and in probably one of the best moods i ever saw him in.

He asked the grandmother to dance and they started waltzing around the room:)

She got all embarrassed and closed the curtains for fear of the neighbors looking in.

No sooner had she closed them, my dad tripped and fell head first through the window with only the curtain for protection. He escaped unharmed . Good job she closed them or he'd have been cut to ribbons:D

Good times:D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Iggy Pop

Did anyone read "Whats the story", a book about the Irish fans during the '90 WC. Theres some fcucking very funny sh!t in it. Theres one about 'Davy Keogh says hello' (anyone remember him and his huge banner?) and another one about a fella who was seeing his mates off in Rosslare and ended up geting pissed and going with them without telling his wfe, arrives in Italy and goes on the piss again and falls asleep and misses the match.
    WC '90 made it a fcuking brilliant Summer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement