Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italia 90

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Most Shocking Incidents: The Kuwaiti Sheiks agains France and the German goalkeeper Schumacher with is outrageous assault against Battison. I dont think he even got a yellow card. Shocking.

Quite right you are. The single worst incident I can remember. A straight up example of assault, and a very dangerous one.

1970 was my favourite WC, followed by 1986 and 1978.

1990 was pure ****.

The 1982 Brazilian team was the best not to win the WC: Socrates, Zico, Eder...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

flahavaj wrote: »
    I have videos of Italia 90. It was brutal. Worst World Cup ever if you take Ireland's participation out of the equation. A few good goals doesn't alter the fact that there were very few classic games.

so your saying recent world cups and major finals have been better..they are as deffo not as good as games back in the 80s/90s.

football now is ruined with FIFA, corruption, over paid players, referees sending off somone for trodding on your big toe, negative tactics, celebrity nonsense, wives and f**king girlfriends, could go on.

despite the good players nowadays it doesnt make up for it, venezuela beating argentina recently for instance.

good wholesome football was to be had back in the 70s/80s/90s. you can point to sky and the murdoch era when football took a turn for the worse.

Dotrel wrote: »
    It's generally agreed that WC90 was the worst world cup in history. So much so that they changed the back-pass rule in part due to the negative football displayed.

I remember the media saying Ireland v England was considered the worst game in the first series of group games. I can only imagine after that that Ireland v Egypt was probably the worst game in the tournament as a whole. The Egyptian play was probably the most despicable example of gamesmanship and time-wasting that I've ever seen.

it was bad alright, some of the games but there was also very good goals..

enzo scifo for belgium.. anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHAWsO3tSA4

all world cups have $hit games.. italy 90 was no exception.

i found games noways to be just as bad and tedious, with all the mega star celbs playing now i would expect more.

there is also f**k all craic compared to before.

if you did try to have a banter now you would prob get arrested.

I can remember every word cup properly back to 1982.

Best world Cup: 1982

Best Team: Brazil 1982 (I know they didnt win the tournament :o - but these things happen)

Best game: Brazil v Italy 1982 world Cup

Best player Ive seen in a world cup: maradonna

Most Shocking Incidents: The Kuwaiti Sheiks agains France and the German goalkeeper Schumacher with is outrageous assault against Battison. I dont think he even got a yellow card. Shocking.

Memories - So vivid in my head. I was so young but it seems like yesterday.

jimmy?

I can remember every word cup properly back to 1982.

Best world Cup: 1982

Best Team: Brazil 1982 (I know they didnt win the tournament :o - but these things happen)

Best game: Brazil v Italy 1982 world Cup

Best player Ive seen in a world cup: maradonna

Memories - So vivid in my head. I was so young but it seems like yesterday.

no yellow, and he saved a peno to put france out lol

a ref would have a coronary if that happened now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

I was 8 at the time & I can remember our next door neighbour used to watch the matches in our house coz he only had a black n white telly and we had a COLOUR telly :D. The father & old lad next door would spend all afternoon roaring at the telly. I loved reading Roddy Doyle's "The Van", brought back great memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

Friend emailed me this :)

Walkinstown 1990
    Ireland V Romania

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

4leto wrote: »
    Will we ever have that again? What was Italia 90 like for you
    I remember being on O'Connell St. after the Romania match and what was, arguably, the very birth of the Celtic Tiger.

The city was insane. There were thousands on the streets, drunk, at lunchtime. My co-worker insisted on whiskey-chasers in the pub during the match. I never had drank anything stronger than beer before. We watched it on what I thought were two 'portable-colour' televisions in a dingy North Dublin City pub, but it only turned out to be one TV.

I still remember this one car beeping down O'Connell St, the driver high-fiving all bystanders through the open-window. It was originally a white VW Beetle. I say originally because its owner, in an impromptu act of patriotism after the match decided to paint each 1/3 of the side of it green and orange.

Note I say 'paint' rather than 'respray' because what it looked like was that the driver took out a six-inch B&Q paintbrush and armed with dual tins of green and orange house-grade emulsion, had at his vehicle only seconds after Packie's save.

It was a glorious time to be in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Friend emailed me this :)
    Dude, that's one for the IFI archives. Love the way that totally spontaneous conga-line breaks out at 1.25 and heads for the roundabout!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Iggy Pop wrote: »
    Did anyone read "Whats the story", a book about the Irish fans during the '90 WC. Theres some fcucking very funny sh!t in it. Theres one about 'Davy Keogh says hello' (anyone remember him and his huge banner?) and another one about a fella who was seeing his mates off in Rosslare and ended up geting pissed and going with them without telling his wfe, arrives in Italy and goes on the piss again and falls asleep and misses the match.
    WC '90 made it a fcuking brilliant Summer.

I have it yeah, full of great stories, if you're a fan of the Irish National Team I'd highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

Dude, that's one for the IFI archives. Love the way that totally spontaneous conga-line breaks out at 1.25 and heads for the roundabout!

I'm sure the owner wouldn't mind if they asked or however it works :) Not me btw.

I like the way that roundabout was as dangerous back then as it is today :D and the bloke who swung off the ladder on the van @ 2.11-2.13

Nice piece of footage in general!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

I think we need to build an Arc de Triomphe there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

I never knew U2s Larry Mullen wrote and produced Put em under pressure. Fair play one of that bands best songs.

I was wondering why I seem to be nostalgic for this time the last few days. I suppose in 1990 we had a future and things start getting better, now I think things are going to start getting worse.

So Trapp and the boys plesssssssssss do us a favour we could do with the lift.

Another thing, back then, there were more black guys on the team then I ever met in Ireland, we really were very insular, now there is a great mix of people from all nationalities living here and wellcome they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Its a time I will never ever forget. Euro 88 was the dress rehearsal and Italia 90 was the full production. More innocent times. More humble times, when we actually knew how to enjoy ourselves. Those who had jobs skived off for games. We borrowed from credit unions to fund the session or travel to Italy. We spent cash on having a good time, lifting our spirits, making ourselves happy. In return the country benefited. I'm grateful that I was an adult when I witnessed it. You really had to be there to fully appreciate the magnitude of it all. I doubt it will ever be repeated.

It was also the best summer ever in which to get a ride in Ireland.

FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Dan133269 wrote: »
    FúCK Roy Keane. And on the topic of football and patriotism, he never performed for Ireland anywhere near as well as he played for Man United. I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

What a load of shíte. If you think that, you genuinely haven't a clue.

BTW OP the world didn't love us. Packie Bonner dícking around for 6 minutes with the ball against Egypt was one of the main examples given as to why the backpass rule was needed. The world hated watching us bore our way to the quarter final. Fair enough, a lot of people in Ireland loved (many didn't know better).

• Advertisement

good wholesome football was to be had back in the 70s/80s/90s. you can point to sky and the murdoch era when football took a turn for the worse.

Italia 90 is regarded as the worst World Cup in history. They changed the rules of football to counteract the awfulness that the world witnessed. The best thing about Italia 90 was Pavarotti singing the night before the first game.

Nostalgia and ignorance are aplenty in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

I get great gas every time I wear this t-shirt:
    http://www.squareball.com/shop/product.php?productid=95&cat=tshirt&page=1

...because so many people remember Italia 90! I was a young 'un at the time but I still remember that save from Bonner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I was in 3rd class and half the lads had the yellow keeper's jersey. Out comes Packie in the grey jersey to the horror of us all.

Cue a load of Mammies roaring "No you can't bring the yellow one back to the shop!"

:D

Italia 90 is regarded as the worst World Cup in history. They changed the rules of football to counteract the awfulness that the world witnessed. The best thing about Italia 90 was Pavarotti singing the night before the first game.

Nostalgia and ignorance are aplenty in this thread.

Well in the OP I did ask AHers for their nostalgic memories and to be frank that is the only ignorant post on this thread.

What a load of shíte. If you think that, you genuinely haven't a clue.

BTW OP the world didn't love us. Packie Bonner dícking around for 6 minutes with the ball against Egypt was one of the main examples given as to why the backpass rule was needed.

Watch the game. If anything it was their goalie who was setting new precedents for time-wasting. I even remember his name (Ahmed Shobair) such was his cynical impact on the game. He even got booked for it too. Worth noting also that 'dícking around for 6 minutes' Bonner somehow manged to avoid yellow that day.

• Advertisement

4leto wrote: »
    Well in the OP I did ask AHers for their nostalgic memories and to be frank that is the only ignorant post on this thread.

A few people have tried to be balanced and have basically been told they are wrong. I'm just supporting their argument. The world didn't love us and Italia 90 is not a great World Cup.

Also by ignorance I mean a lack of knowledge of football history. People are ignorant to Italia 90s place in history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

A brilliant summer of sport, singing and craic - second only to the four extraordinary Dublin-Meath matches in the summer of 1991:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

A few people have tried to be balanced and have basically been told they are wrong. I'm just supporting their argument. The world didn't love us and Italia 90 is not a great World Cup.

Also by ignorance I mean a lack of knowledge of football history. People are ignorant to Italia 90s place in history.

I think it was great. I was 9 and never experienced anything like it before. My Dad bought me more crisps and red lemonade watching the games than I could handle. World Cup 90 stickers gave me a reason to go to school.

So to me.. Italia 90 was a great world cup.

Trotter wrote: »
    I think it was great. I was 9 and never experienced anything like it before. My Dad bought me more crisps and red lemonade watching the games than I could handle. World Cup 90 stickers gave me a reason to go to school.

Yeah that's the way I remember it, the football all though important was really only about 8 hours long, it was all the things that went on around it and the atmosphere here in Ireland that I remember the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I actually still have my Italia 90 tshirt. Dont wear it anymore really except the very odd time in bed. Cant throw it out.

Very ambivalent to the national team now I must say. When it comes to Football its Cork City.

Watch the game. If anything it was their goalie who was setting new precedents for time-wasting. I even remember his name (Ahmed Shobair) such was his cynical impact on the game. He even got booked for it too. Worth noting also that 'dícking around for 6 minutes' Bonner somehow manged to avoid yellow that day.

He didn't break any rules. Hence the lack of a yellow card. But the rules were changed to counteract those type of actions. The backpass rule, the 6 second rule and preventing keepers from picking the ball up twice all stemmed from turgid affairs like Ireland v Egypt.
    3. Republic of Ireland 0-0 Egypt (1990)
    Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Packie Bonner had possession of the ball for six minutes towards the end of this match. The Celtic stalwart dribbled around his penalty area, picking the ball up if an Egyptian player approach him. As a result, the backpass rule and the rule preventing goalkeepers from picking the ball up again after releasing it were both brought in by 1992.
    http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2011/02/top-five-game-changing-games/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The athmosphere in the Skeff in Galway at the time was incredible, great times indeed.:cool:

Trotter wrote: »

That is perfectly fine. Sure I was the same. But it is 21 years later and I'm not going to kid myself that the world loved us or that it was a great world cup. I have great memories, but they are about what was happening at home. We kid ourselves too much that the world was fawning over us and that it was this amazing world cup. This thread obviously is not a football discussion, but people can be annoying or lacking knowledge in such discussions.

In short, lots of great memories. But let us stay realistic.

He didn't break any rules. Hence the lack of a yellow card. But the rules were changed to counteract those type of actions. The backpass rule, the 6 second rule and preventing keepers from picking the ball up twice all stemmed from turgid affairs like Ireland v Egypt.

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2011/02/top-five-game-changing-games/

No doubt. But my recollection of that game is that Ireland were going for the win through-out but the Egyptians were frustrating them playing an ultra-slow keep ball game and knocking it back to the goalie time after time, who would keep the ball for extended periods .Evidently he was eventually booked for it on 72mins.

I agree that Ireland did have a habit excessively back-passing it to Bonner rather than playing it out of defense (and that tactics like these did influence the banning of the back-pass) However the intention of this passing was to allow long punts up to the opposition box rather than to time-waste.

If Bonner was playing keep-ball late on v Egypt it was an unusual behavior and possibly a response to the Egyptian gamesmanship throughout the match? After all Egypt were seen as the 'must win' game and Ireland would in no way have been happy to play out a draw.

I'd like to see the game again to draw a better conclusion but it would seem to make sense remembering as I do the Egyptian tactics that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Scruffy Murphy's by any chance? I hated that kip.
    There is an Irish Pub in Sydney and every Saturday night the last song is always Put them under pressure. It also has a big screen and it shows the whole penalty shoot out from the Romania game, and it is like being back watching it live. the place goes absolutely mental when the final penalthy goes in. It is brilliant.

Ha yeah I remember this from my time there in 2006, it's PJ McGuires. They play the 5 minutes or whatever it is of that Reeling in the Years segment. I used to go there a lot, almost mainly for that reason. Place went nuts when the peno went in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Rega

I was 10 in 1990. Brilliant times. Italia 90 Panini sticker album. Have have have have have have have ...... NEEEEDDD!! Finding the Ireland silver foil crest sticker on the ground walking out of school ... felt like I won the lotto. Being able to swear because my dad did when Lineker scored and feeling really grown up. Having crappy Dunnes Italia 90 tshirts. Being so bored watching the Egypt game that I went out and kicked the ball off the wall instead for half an hour. Everyone talking about football even my mam who hadn't a ****ing clue. Watching the Italy game at my grandad's in West Cork and feeling distraught when we lost.

Christ I feel old now.

galwayrush wrote: »
    The athmosphere in the Skeff in Galway at the time was incredible, great times indeed.:cool:

If I'm not mistaken, washing up liquid was thrown into the fountains at the top of Eyre Square at some point during Italia 90.

That is perfectly fine. Sure I was the same. But it is 21 years later and I'm not going to kid myself that the world loved us or that it was a great world cup. I have great memories, but they are about what was happening at home. We kid ourselves too much that the world was fawning over us and that it was this amazing world cup. This thread obviously is not a football discussion, but people can be annoying or lacking knowledge in such discussions.

In short, lots of great memories. But let us stay realistic.

That's exactly what it represents for me. More an acute social history lesson than a sporting one.

I actually still have my Italia 90 tshirt. Dont wear it anymore really except the very odd time in bed. Cant throw it out.

Very ambivalent to the national team now I must say. When it comes to Football its Cork City.

Sadly mine don't fit me anymore!

Had a waste coat and hat and the proverbial "**** Schillacci" T-Shirt. (on the streets by next morning. That's indigenous industry for ya!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I wouldve been only 7 at the time of this world cup but a lot of my earliest memorys are from that world cup, my main memorys are not of the football but of the atmosphere around the place i have a lasting image of street party in my estateand someone having a fake world cup which was like the golden chalice at every party after every match.

Even now it still holds a special place i have an italia 1990 away jersey that id wear very seldom maybe two or three times a year its my prized asset, anytime i see anything from the time the hairs on my neck immediately stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

godscop wrote: »
    I woudnt say he's a knob, he speaks the truth and people dont like to hear that.
    Pure slurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I posted about it elsewhere last year.

Epic youtube memories:

My dad used to own a pub, obviously it was hearts in mouths time for the penalty shoutout.
    One man couldn't handle watching it and retreated to the toilets whereby he would be able to gauge by our reactions how things went.

My dad later found a fist shaped hole in the ceiling of the cubicle as the guy had jumped up in triumph when David O'Leary's final kick found the back of the net.

I was on standing on the seats along with half the pub, but I was catching pictures as they fell off the walls from the sheer momentum in the place.

The old woman who lived in a house next door to the pub told my dad the following day that while she refused to watch any football, including the match: She knew that we had won because 'It felt like an earthquake'

Best time of my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

It was just posted on this page bud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Former Great

I love listenin to George Hamilton just as Bonner saved the penalty , he shouts ''Yes'' as its saved but all you hear is ''YA'' then blank sounds as if he dropped hes mic or whatever it is they spoke into.
    I was two young to remember the shootout but everytime i look at it i get goosebumps

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

We are the boys in green the euro 88 version,great song

Bizarre video. Ashley Grimes hiding in the background and some other fella behind Charlie O'Leary who I don't recognise.

Also Ireland are playing some game at Dalymount that I don't think was even during the Charlton years? :confused: Possibly v Malta?

Bizarre video. Ashley Grimes hiding in the background and some other fella behind Charlie O'Leary who I don't recognise.

Also Ireland are playing some game at Dalymount that I don't think was even during the Charlton years? :confused: Possibly v Malta?

I can only remember Ireland playing in Dalymount once during the Charlton years,a nil all draw against France,I think Andy Townsend might have made his debut that night,I found that clip a cool channel on Youtube channel,username is East Terracer he has some class clips of old Ireland games from the early 90s,as for that dude behing Charlie O Leary,is it Mark Kelly?

I checked the FAI site,Ireland did play in Dalymount a few times during the Charlton years but I can only remember the
    France game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

I bought this tshirt a few weeks ago > https://www.squareball.com/shop/product.php?productid=95&cat=tshirt&page=1
    Classic :cool:

Just seen this,only uploaded a few days ago,any of you guys in this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

nice one, i remember i was 5 at time and we had the lp of that song at home, unfortunately it got lost years later. love that song. it was the first footie tournament that i remember , even if it is very vague. just that song they brought out is the thing i remember most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I love listenin to George Hamilton just as Bonner saved the penalty , he shouts ''Yes'' as its saved but all you hear is ''YA'' then blank sounds as if he dropped hes mic or whatever it is they spoke into.
    I was two young to remember the shootout but everytime i look at it i get goosebumps

Similar to Sheedy's goal against England, you can hear either George or Ray Treacy (I think he was co-commentator) clapping in the background!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kickitlong

Outside of the Irish participation my favourite bit of the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I checked the FAI site,Ireland did play in Dalymount a few times during the Charlton years but I can only remember the
    France game

I think David Kelly scored a hat trick against Israel (?) at Dalyer during Jacks reign. Townsend did make his debut in that 0-0 draw against France and I remember an U-23 game against Northern Ireland that we won 3-0 there. Mick McCarthy played (both teams fielded a couple of 'over-age' players) and it was the first time I ever saw Denis Irwin, he scored an absolute cracker from 25 yards!

I remember Ireland also beating Wales at Tolka Park, I think Tommy Coyne got the winner (think score was 2-1)

I can only remember Ireland playing in Dalymount once during the Charlton years,a nil all draw against France,I think Andy Townsend might have made his debut that night,I found that clip a cool channel on Youtube channel,username is East Terracer he has some class clips of old Ireland games from the early 90s,as for that dude behing Charlie O Leary,is it Mark Kelly?

France game

Yes I suspected that was Mark Kelly too. Never saw the guy play but I think I saw a pix somewhere and remembered the fella looked about 12years old.

Ireland only played once at Dalymount under Charlton prior to Euro 88 (v Israel) so I reckon that footage is possibly Malta. After all they're playing in all-red rather than light blue and goals seem to be going in from all angles (it was 8-0).

• Advertisement
Advertisement