Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Plan and Internal Doors

• 13-10-2011 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a 12cm partition wall between the living and dining/kitchen areas which I am looking to take out. I'm looking at options for closing it off when I want so that

1) Light gets through
    2) There is good sound insulation
    3) Reasonable thermal insulation so its easy to keep rooms individually warm.

I have a good stove in the living room and I'd like it to be able power the kitchen area using it but I also want the facility to keep rooms separate.

Looking around, the best compromise I can think of is to use an external sliding door (height 220cm, width 200cm). I'd go for French doors but there isn't a lot of room when they are open.

Has anybody here order PVC sliding doors and fitted them internally ?

Anybody know somebody in the limerick/clare area who would order doors and do the job ?

Any other good solutions ?

I have found concertina/accordian door suppliers on the web but only in other countries

Thanks Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Actually another solution that could work is removable internal doors. I have seen single doors in the past where the door easily lifts out of the hinges. Unfortunately I've googled but have not found any of these. I wonder do double doors come on removable hinges ? Anybody out there know where to find these ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Removable hinges are fairly readily available (lift off hinges) dont really see how this helps in this situation, maybe i missed something. Bi fold or accordian doors can be made up easily enough. configuring the tracks and hardware are the main problems. i usually use Henderson tracks and hinging systems. Try their website. I know there a few other joineries doing these systems around the country. I think theres a joinery in Mayo which would at least be on the right side of the country advertising. Doors plus in dublin sell a flat pack system for the bifold system. but only for set ope sizes. I definately wouldnt agree with pvc internal it just looks wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

1chippy wrote: »
    Removable hinges are fairly readily available (lift off hinges) dont really see how this helps in this situation, maybe i missed something. Bi fold or accordian doors can be made up easily enough. configuring the tracks and hardware are the main problems. i usually use Henderson tracks and hinging systems. Try their website. I know there a few other joineries doing these systems around the country. I think theres a joinery in Mayo which would at least be on the right side of the country advertising. Doors plus in dublin sell a flat pack system for the bifold system. but only for set ope sizes. I definately wouldnt agree with pvc internal it just looks wrong

Thanks for that, was looking at wrong terms for those lift off hinges. They would allow me to use area as real open plan in the summer (by storing doors away) and use separate rooms in the winter as needed. Doors can always be unscrewed from hinges of course but this is usually more hassle than worth.

Advertisement