Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orange Lodges in the South

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

owenc wrote: »
    My mother is Catholic, and it seems that everything is beat into her from her family and their is no freethinking i wish she would leave that organisation, but no. She can't see through it.

If she's a NI Catholic your Mum's reluctance to leave wouldn't be so much about her love of the RCC as it would her affinity with her 'tribe' IYKWIM. She may also fear being ostracized by her RC friends and family which wouldn't be unusual.

It's a little more complicated up there.

True,I'd imagine it would be difficult in the North for a Protestant who wanted to become a Catholic as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I hope so myself by the way my original post might of read as being sarcastic but no I think the church should be ashamed to try and dictate peoples basic human rights.

Exactly but the church of Ireland is Just as bad my dads friends daughter can't get her baby baptised because she isn't married... I think churches needy grow up and focus on modern society or else they'll die out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    True,I'd imagine it would be difficult in the North for a Protestant who wanted to become a Catholic as well.

That would br even worse! On my mothers side my grandfather converted and his brothers and sisters havnt spoken to him since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Benny_Cake wrote: »

It's not so much that people want to convert imo (some do of course). People usually convert because they've found a partner who has made it a condition of the relationship.

Converting to the 'enemy' religion was a fairly taboo thing to do - probably still is but maybe a bit less so these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

It's not so much that people want to convert imo (some do of course). People usually convert because they've found a partner who has made it a condition of the relationship.

Converting to the 'enemy' religion was a fairly taboo thing to do - probably still is but maybe a bit less so these days.

Yeah,I'd imagine it is mainly a tribal thing,and not so much people who hold strong beliefs over the doctrine of transubstaniation and issues of church governance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

The thread has changed to a discussion on religion rather than a history or heritage topic. There is a forum for religion but I am closing this down here due to the nature of some of the posts. Posters should also note the references to religion in the charter.
    Moderator.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement