Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it ok to take battery out of laptop and NOT connect to power supply?

• 13-10-2011 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've started to take my battery out of my laptop while it is plugged into the mains to try save it. I just wanted to know though, when I am turning it off and need to unplug it from the mains (at night for example) should I be putting the battery back in?

In otherwords, is it ok for the computer to be left shut down with absolutely no power source at all, or should it always have some sort of power, so if I unplug from the mains should I ensure that the battery is back on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

There shouldn't be any problem unplugging without the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Does that really save the battery???

I've never noticed any decline in my laptop battery and I always leave it in while plugged into the mains, had it about 2 years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Should be fine unless you want to use sleep mode. Hibernate would be fine though, I find it faster than a full shutdown/restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Should be fine unless you want to use sleep mode. Hibernate would be fine though, I find it faster than a full shutdown/restart.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I just noticed I can set my laptop (Dell Inspiron1545) to not charge my battery while plugged in.... just wondering if anyone knows is this really what it says on the tin? In otherwords, if I enable this option will that do the same as removing my battery altogether while plugged into the mains? Or should I just continue to remove battery while plugged in?

:-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

augusta24 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I just noticed I can set my laptop (Dell Inspiron1545) to not charge my battery while plugged in.... just wondering if anyone knows is this really what it says on the tin? In otherwords, if I enable this option will that do the same as removing my battery altogether while plugged into the mains? Or should I just continue to remove battery while plugged in?

:-)

Any laptop will stop charging the battery when it is full. Removing the battery will still be better for the battery though as the heat given off by the laptop can affect the life of the battery. How much it affects the battery can vary though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭themonic

The best for cells is keeping battery out of the laptop with 40-60% of charge.
    Once at 2 weeks do full cycle of recharge, discharge to 40-60%.

Advertisement