Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thornberry Riots

Options
  • 13-10-2011 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what went down in Thornberry last night? On highland news that 13 were arrested and Guards were there in riot gear!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

mustve been quite a night in tow n last night, i noticed the charity shop & shoe repair shop on lower main st both had there windows put in by breeze blocks during the night.. what kind of an eejit does that to a charity shop? maybe its time that the gards had a word with local bars selling 99c drinks on a weds night!

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    mustve been quite a night in tow n last night, i noticed the charity shop & shoe repair shop on lower main st both had there windows put in by breeze blocks during the night.. what kind of an eejit does that to a charity shop? maybe its time that the gards had a word with local bars selling 99c drinks on a weds night!

The second Wednesday in a row there has been trouble after the 99 cent drinks. It's a joke they can get away with it tbh.

The Guards should just pen the people in on the premises and let them go mad there, so they see the effect first-hand of their stupid drinks promotion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

There's 99c drinks!!!! Why haven't I been informed?? :D There was a loony on my estate too, near busted a poor gals door in, guards lifted him too. That was an hour before thornberry kicked off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Heard a lot of shouting last night and there was a load of Budweiser bottles outside my house this morning in Glencar, must have been a pretty big night for whatever reason

Wheres Thornberry exactly?

• Advertisement

Harps wrote: »
    Heard a lot of shouting last night and there was a load of Budweiser bottles outside my house this morning in Glencar, must have been a pretty big night for whatever reason

Wheres Thornberry exactly?

its up near the monutain top,on the right of the main road coming from town to the mountain top! a big estate full of big white houses, mustve been a full moon last night!!

Read in the paper that 14 people barricaded themselves in a house and started throwing stuff at the Guards who in turn had to call on support from other stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

I don't want to generalise or stereotype here, but it seems most of this mid-week trouble happens during the lyit college term.

Having said that though, we don't know who was involved in the incident at Thornberry yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ayeboy

yourpics wrote: »
    I don't want to generalise or stereotype here, but it seems most of this mid-week trouble happens during the lyit college term.

Having said that though, we don't know who was involved in the incident at Thornberry yet.

This incident would have nothing to do with LYIT. We lived in the house above where this happened. Moved out a couple of months ago. A guy moved in a few months before that. Scumbag of the highest order. Parties all the time. Still be going at 8:30 in the morning. I'm not against anyone having a party, but they were riffraff. Smashed glass everywhere on the drive on a number of occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Perhaps because the college term covers the majority of the year, And as such its only logical that more incidents happen during the largest portion of the year rather than the other way around:confused:

• Advertisement

ayeboy wrote: »
    This incident would have nothing to do with LYIT. We lived in the house above where this happened. Moved out a couple of months ago. A guy moved in a few months before that. Scumbag of the highest order. Parties all the time. Still be going at 8:30 in the morning. I'm not against anyone having a party, but they were riffraff. Smashed glass everywhere on the drive on a number of occasions.

Yeah fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

From what my credible news guy this morning (taxi driver) he says that he had to go up there in the morning to lift someone else and there was couches and chairs out in middle of the road and more guards than he thought were in the area all done up in full riot gear. meant to have been a crazy sight.

And as far for the breaking of the windows he says that the lad that done it broke a few he was pointed out to cops and when they caught up with him he says aye that the guy who was breaking the windows just ran off down the hill towards Pearse Road and when the guards left he broke some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Lol. So nothing to do with 99c drinks or students. All the predjudices come out on threads like. Surprised no one's blamed single mothers or the brits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Lol. So nothing to do with 99c drinks or students. All the predjudices come out on threads like. Surprised no one's blamed single mothers or the brits.

don't forget the foreigners too.

i hope the 99c drinks aren't used as a scapegoat to what seems like pure idiotic/scumbaggy behaviour. it could be an ingredient yes but people are responsable for their own actions

Did they catch the guy that broke the windows then eventually?? that sickened me more than anything.. i mean the 2 shops i seen broke were a charity shop & a small shoe repair buisness.. i know if i was the owner of either i wouldnt be happy that pubs are selling drinks at 99c.. off course its not the pubs fault, but its always the way that the actions of one or two (or 13 in thornberry lol) can ruin it for the rest of the people!!

BAN the sale of alcohol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

BAN the sale of alcohol!

Someone's been watching too much boardwalk empire....:rolleyes:

GetWithIt wrote: »

Prejudice against drink?! I still stand by the fact 99 cent drink is a dangerous concept. The previous Wednesday night outside the business running the offer had numerous fights and 4 patrol cars attending at one stage.

No matter which way you cut it, it is an irresponsible promotion to be running.

More people than usual will inevitably over indulge with drink at that price, leading to a lot of anti-social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The thread isn't about the rights or wrongs of drinks promotions so lets get back on topic again please.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Them riots are terrible but they are going to wreak the fun for everyone else! It's only a small minority that are at that type of cack.

On a side note in Newcastle student nights you can get 4 jaggerbombs for £2.. but they have better policing, in this case, which should be echoed in LK main st on big nights. There is a massive increase I believe in students going to LYIT this year and also unemployment allowing people to partake in mid week drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

tatabubbly wrote: »
    On a side note in Newcastle student nights you can get 4 jaggerbombs for £2.. but they have better policing, in this case, which should be echoed in LK main st on big nights. There is a massive increase I believe in students going to LYIT this year and also unemployment allowing people to partake in mid week drinking.
    I asked for people to get back on topic. Warning given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Sorry Muffler, I was trying to point out there needs to be better policing on the streets everynight, no matter whats occuring due to the increase in numbers of population during the college terms.

I know someone who works for the charity shop, they tried to rob the charity tins there, very sad things ahead if people are trying to rob charity shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Levels of policing had nothing to do with what happened. There could have been 10,000 guards down the town and it would have still happened. A party was allowed to get out of hand and when the guards were called by the neighbours the party goers set upon them.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭banham

The worrying aspect about this is that Letterkenny can mobilise a garda riot squad and ignore other crimes - at short notice in the middle of the night squad - to storm a domestic apartment, to quell a party that got out of hand.
    It is alleged that 4 girls (one with broken leg) and some of the boys ended up in hospital after been batonned when the squad finally got into the house.
    Have the gardai got riot squads in other towns?
    Is this a practice run for what is down the line in the coming years when the IMF austerity plans bite into peoples’ pockets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

There has to be a reason why a riot squad was deployed. "ignore other crimes"? Not all crimes require a riot squad attending.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

banham wrote: »
    The worrying aspect about this is that Letterkenny can mobilise a garda riot squad and ignore other crimes - at short notice in the middle of the night squad - to storm a domestic apartment, to quell a party that got out of hand.
    It is alleged that 4 girls (one with broken leg) and some of the boys ended up in hospital after been batonned when the squad finally got into the house.
    Is this a practice run for what is down the line in the coming years when the IMF austerity plans bite into peoples’ pockets?

I heard the thornbury crowd are a shower of gypsies, im sure you in all your two posts knowledge are actually a friend of theirs.

Good riddence, the decent folk on the estate will be glad to see this scum locked up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

If 13 were arrested I would assume ( forgive me for assuming) that there were made 20-30 at this party. Again I would assume 2-4 gardai showed up first and received the type of reception that deemed the response.
    If the twats that were cocky enough to take on a few gardai got a taught a lesson when reinforcements arrived so be it.
    I've been at parties ( rowdy ones but not today or yesterday ) where the even the sight of a squad car would settle things completely. I bet that the Garda response to this 'riot' ( I use that term loosely ) may well have a positive knock on effect on others in the area.

If ye play with fire expect to get burned.

Does anyone know how many gardai make up a riot squad?

(I would rethink the above if it were proved that the Garda first response was to send in a dozen batton wielding officers with no justification or provercation)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

this doesn't worry me at all. The party got out of control to the point they wouldn't disperse for the initial responders. Congrats to the keepers of the peace for being able to respond.

Why blame the Gardai for them not being able to deal with other crimes while they were dealing with the disturbance in Thornberry? I would blame the people who see it alright to act in such a manner that requires members of the Gardai to arrive in Riot gear to diffuse a serious situation.

It would also take something for the Gardai to use their batons on the people in the house, never mind the fact they were throwing stuff at the Gardai beforehand.

Fair play to the Gardai, if the trouble was left unattended and it spilled out onto the street the potential for serious damage would have been much bigger.

Afaik I know, all Gardai go through a basic riot training programme in training. I know the Army do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

you in all your two posts knowledge

What has that got to do with anything? You're only here a few weeks yourself...just because you post about 50 times per day doesn't change that.

Advertisement