Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thornberry Riots

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Now now... Settle or the boards riot squad will be in action ! I hear muffler has a big truncheon ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

fullstop wrote: »
    What has that got to do with anything? You're only here a few weeks yourself...just because you post about 50 times per day doesn't change that.
    You're around long enough to know better. No more please.

irish1967 wrote: »
    I hear muffler has a big truncheon ! :)
    Peeping at the urinals again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

banham wrote: »
    The worrying aspect about this is that Letterkenny can mobilise a garda riot squad and ignore other crimes - at short notice in the middle of the night squad - to storm a domestic apartment, to quell a party that got out of hand.
    It is alleged that 4 girls (one with broken leg) and some of the boys ended up in hospital after been batonned when the squad finally got into the house.
    Have the gardai got riot squads in other towns?
    Is this a practice run for what is down the line in the coming years when the IMF austerity plans bite into peoples’ pockets?

What a ridiculous statement!! They didnt ignore anything, they responded to a very serious situation, its not like everything else went unattended.

Where is it alleged that people ended up with broken limbs?????

And seeing as you as so ill informed, its not a riot squad, its a public order unit. They're just ordinary guards who have been trained and work on normal duty until theyre required for an incident like this...they then get into their gear and go to the call. So quit with your stupid sensationalist meanderings when your clearly very ignorant about the whole thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i think the point being made is they usually don't give a crap about other crimes/fights/robbings etc any other night of the week*

What made this different is/could be the fact that the first responding guards had something thrown or felt that they would be under attack and called in backup.

guards will always come to a guards backup when they are needed there is no paperwork excuse possible, there is no excuse possible full stop plus the fact that they are all working together etc.

They are gangish (note ths ish) in the way the carry on

*search for an earlier post of mine in here somewhere if you wanna see why i think that

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

i think all the Guards should be armed and i don't mean with that little baton they carry but armed with guns , when you have a gun stuck in your face and someone telling to too calm down 99% of the time you will calm down very fast , the whole gun law thing in Ireland is way to tight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

i think all the Guards should be armed and i don't mean with that little baton they carry but armed with guns , when you have a gun stuck in your face and someone telling to too calm down 99% of the time you will calm down very fast , the whole gun law thing in Ireland is way to tight

Pepper spray the lot of them and into the back of the van

quite a lot of guards are trained in the use of firearms and have uzis in the backs of the cars, trouble is if you have a gun aimed at someone for whatever reason you have to be able to pull the trigger.

plus if you hesitate and get disarmed then you are in a whole lot of trouble then.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

danniemcq wrote: »
    quite a lot of guards are trained in the use of firearms and have uzis in the backs of the cars, trouble is if you have a gun aimed at someone for whatever reason you have to be able to pull the trigger.

plus if you hesitate and get disarmed then you are in a whole lot of trouble then.

surly they are trained to deal with having to dispatch someone but the system in Ireland probably only half trains :rolleyes: , i know if i felt threatened i would have no problem pulling the trigger , problem is to many thugs know the guards are limited as to what they can do to them i think the whole crime fighting scene in Ireland needs to be toughened up a bit and when these thugs see some other thugs takin out they might stop and think "hey these guys mean business better not **** with them"

yeah but are you going to have cops shoot for anything now?

if that was the case we will have gangs arming themselves a lot more than they are now,

this will lead to innocent people getting caught up in the crossfire. be it in a shoot out with cops or even just if people are robbing as once they start "packing" as they say it will become normal for them and they will be bringing them in home break ins.

its a vicious cycle both cops and criminals trying to out arm each other.

the armed response units that are AFAIK pretty common throughout the country should only be used in worst case scenarios

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

lamai wrote: »
    Pepper spray the lot of them and into the back of the van

The only problem with pepper spray is the problem of back spray, incapacitating the person deploying it too or even a number of people standing around. It is not always the best option.

During the Raul Moate craic in England it was quoted by an expert on Sky News that Ireland actually has more armed officers than England when you take in the ERU,RSU and detectives!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Tasers would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

What punishment did the hooligans get?

tatabubbly wrote: »
    What punishment did the hooligans get?

They are due in court Monday I think. It's covered in this weeks paper, didn't get a proper look at it as I was busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I nearly moved into that place, thank god I didn't now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

They are due in court Monday I think. It's covered in this weeks paper, didn't get a proper look at it as I was busy.

Thanks, it'll be interesting to see what they get.

danthefan wrote: »
    I nearly moved into that place, thank god I didn't now!

Into that house,or Thornberry itself? Thornberry is grand, I know a good few people in there and they have never had a problem!
    tatabubbly wrote: »
    Thanks, it'll be interesting to see what they get.

Should they be found guilty they should get the maximum judicial punishment. Make an example of those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As the matter has yet to be decided by the courts Id appreciate it if there were no more comments in this regard.

Cheers.

Advertisement