Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a dog into Ireland

• 13-10-2011 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm importing a dog into Ireland very soon, and just wondering if anyone has any advice or experiences of doing something similar.

I have an agency taking care of the paperwork on my side (I'm in Asia, in a rabies-free country). She had her blood test done and got her health certificate over six months ago so won't have to go into quarantine. She won't be on the same flight as me though, so I'm worried about the procedure for collecting her. Also worried about her coping with the flight. It's a long flight, so I got a big carrier for her, to allow her plenty of room to move in.

It's also costing a bomb. I think I have to pay about 300 euro customs duty at Dublin Airport. That's just the tip of the iceberg. The cost of the flight is very high, but I just have no choice really. I never intended to get a dog while over here, but rescued her and now we're like peas and carrots.

Anyone got any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 devyn

I imported my 2 dogs from the states back in August, so I can totally commiserate with you on the cost of bringing dogs in!

The one thing I do recommend you check in to is whether your dog can be on a separate flight from you. When I brought my dogs over which was just a few months ago Dublin was very strict about the fact that my dogs had to be on the same flight as me. I would talk to the Dept of Ag over here just to make sure it is ok for your dog to be on a different flight then you as I would hate for you to run into problems once you get the dog here or the dog having to be flown back out just cause it came in on a different flight. You can email them - pets@agriculture.gov.ie - they are super nice

I brought over 2 older dogs and they did just fine on the flight. My flight time was 13 hours and we had a 4 hour layover, so it was definitely a long flight for them with check in and check out time at the airport. But they handled the travel just fine and I think were as jet-lagged as I was when we finally got to the hotel.

As far as collecting her once she arrives, you just have to notify Lissenhall of the flight she is coming in on and they arrange a courier to pick her up. And then you collect her from Lissenhall once all her paperwork checks out. It is really easy and the people at Lissenhall are really nice as well!

Advertisement