Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Fault

Options
  • 13-10-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My Eircom broadband speeds have dropped recently, rang them and they said that there appears to be a fault.

Engineer called out and said that the line is fine - it's an internal fault.

What could be causing an internal fault?

I've got a router, wireless access point, hub and 3 phones. Also have 3 sky boxes but don't have them connected to the phones (sssh ). Also have a monitored alarm.

Could a phone be causing the problem? As far as I know there are filters on all the phones (need to double check tho).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

My Eircom broadband speeds have dropped recently, rang them and they said that there appears to be a fault.

I've got a router, wireless access point, hub and 3 phones. Also have 3 sky boxes but don't have them connected to the phones (sssh ). Also have a monitored alarm.

Could a phone be causing the problem? As far as I know there are filters on all the phones (need to double check tho).

Follow a process of elimination:
    • Disconnect everything except the router from where the Eircom line comes in. Disconnect all other phones, alarms, Sky boxes, whatever.
    • Check your line speed. If it's okay, you have an internal problem.
    • Add one phone at a time back in until you hit the problem again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

First of all - I wouldn't take the Eircom's technicians word as Gospel. I have found that some of them haven't a clue when it comes to broadband.

I'd follow swampgas's suggestion first.

Also is the router plugged into the main eircom socket or an extension? Eircom will only take responsibility as far as the main socket. Any internal phone wire extension around the house is not covered. A poor installation/connection may cause a problem.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

It could be a problem with the cabling in your home, the phone or the filter on the alarm system. Monitored alarms get priority over all lines in your home so that would be the first one to look at. As suggested disconnect everything from the main line and see if you still have the same problem. If it is working reconnect everything one by one to find the issue.

What type filter is installed for the monitored alarm ?

Advertisement