Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

archos 10 internet tablet

• 13-10-2011 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hi everyone,
    i am interested in buying the archos 10 tablet and just wanted to find out a bit more about it first or even some suggestions on a different tablet?

thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 rockfist

I have a Archos 101 16 gig. Outstanding tablet. Is a lot more 'open' then others such as the ipad in that you can also use it as an external hard drive too. It plays flash, ipad doesnt and you'd be hard pushed to get a movie or video it won't play. If you do get it make sure you get the Kindle app.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 raining2011

Yeah I have archos 10.1 too, would totally recommend it to anyone without a doubt!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

what format of books does it take and where can you place them on the item to be able to read them.
    Have tried epub books on the root of the device to no avail. Do they go into a sub-directory and in what format?

Currently testing one the Arnova 7 G2 table out for someone right now. Will get back to you later with report.

Edit: So far after a few hours testing, not impressed with it at all in some cases - in others... well read below.

1. Its damn slow to load every webpage. Waiting around for everything, twiddling thumbs...

2. The ebook ability is VERY awkward to use. Everything has be be thou whsmiths as far as I can tell and even then its impossible to see where they have actually saved any bought books on the device. Reading them is a pain in the arse. You can with some effort go forward page-wise with their epubs books, but it won't allow you to reverse unless its PDFs! It looks like it only takes those two formats, not even txt files you might want to sync over to it!

3. Actually reading PDF's is a pain, either the test is too small or too large - there is no in between size you can choose! One leave you squinting - the other leaves you with a schite load of finger scrolling! Bloody hard work reading!

4. It does play avi's and mp4's well - the controls are awkward to use and getting back out of the playing video sometimes is a pain.

...Add more shortly.

I'm not too sure about the ePub format. I got the kindle app in the android store and placed any .mobi files in the kindle folder. Google .mobi converter, there's a load of sites that do it.

rockfist wrote: »
    I'm not too sure about the ePub format. I got the kindle app in the android store and placed any .mobi files in the kindle folder. Google .mobi converter, there's a load of sites that do it.

I tried a txt files, standard epubs, mobi files, etc. None will play on it.
    Have converters including the free one Calibre.
    (I own an Kindle myself and a Sony E-reader.}

• Advertisement

The Arnova 7 G2 does handle a lot of things well.
    It doesn't try to be a full computer type system - just another possible entertainment system.
    In that respect, it does it well. Very well I have to say.
    It takes a bit of getting used to. You DO have to be somewhat confident in transferring different type files (sound, film, ebooks) to it storage locations internally on its drive, to get full use out if it.

Earlier in point 2, I mentioned a few limitations/difficulties. I take these criticisms back. I later discovered they could be overcome by installing other gadgets which are oft times better!
    I was personally glad to see that it could even run MKV video files perfectly.
    Even on a standard PC, Windows Media Player (with its lack of codecs) has problems running that format (a problem overcome by installing free VLC). So I was happily surprised to find they ran NO problem in the Archos.

I should also mention that depending on what viewing (free) tool (gadgets available in its system) you use to view ebooks, it does make a BIG difference to how easy it is to read your books.
    I tried their recommended one and found it difficult - I tried another one and found it much better!

Would I buy one? No - ONLY because I have the Kindle and Sony E-reader, besides laptops and PC's galore.
    If however I was limited in the above, I would certainly buy one.
    As it is, I'm looking for one right now to give as a present to the wife. They get my recommendation.

(The one I had, was passed onto me for review. Sadly I had to give it back!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭kazper

I have just got the archos arnova 10, I cannot get YouTube working on it, did a google search and it said must download flash players on appslib but can't find this, anyone had any luck

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lagosboy

thanks alot for all the help everyone,i think that will make a nice christmas present :P

lagosboy wrote: »
    thanks alot for all the help everyone,i think that will make a nice christmas present :P

Good luck trying to get the version seven one. VERY hard to get.
    The 10 version should be easier - sadly as expected, it will be a good bit dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭**Caroline**

Prob a silly question but I'm clueless when it comes to these "tablets".. do all of them with camera have ability to do video chat/skype? Or is the cam only for taking still images?

• Advertisement

Prob a silly question but I'm clueless when it comes to these "tablets".. do all of them with camera have ability to do video chat/skype? Or is the cam only for taking still images?

Some could be on sale without the camera facility - such as the new Kindle one on sale in the states.
    As far as I know, most that have one, can record moving images also - not just still pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lovephones

kazper wrote: »
    I have just got the archos arnova 10, I cannot get YouTube working on it, did a google search and it said must download flash players on appslib but can't find this, anyone had any luck

Have the same tablet and the same problem too, anyone help??

Lovephones wrote: »
    kazper wrote: »

Have the same tablet and the same problem too, anyone help??

It should be in appslib I got it from there. YouTube works fine for me on mine. I saw an ad the other day, dunnes are doing the 101 archos 8gig for €199. Good deal.

Have tried everything and still can't get YouTube to work :( bought the 7" for a friend and YouTube works ok o that

Kazper i've no idea without having the unit in front of me! Apologies! Perhaps try get it from both Appslib and Android Market? On my first one i did have a problem with the facebook app but a quick upgrade sorted it.

Thanks a million rockfist, how did u do update, I haven't actually connected mine to pc, Ok I tried apps market and it says u have no android devices, when I tried to add device it wouldn't allow that either

Hi rockfist, don't mean to be hassling but this tablet is really driving me cracked lol :) how did u update yours, was it an update to froya?? I have tried update on archos website but when it asks to select your device my archos arnova 10 is not listed, also when I connect mine to pc it does not show as a drive, cannot find the device at all :( also i read somewhere online that u can do update wirelessly by going to setting about device and then update but when I go to about device it does not give me that option simply tells me info etc but no option to update, again sorry for being a pain just hope u can help or point me in the right direction before my birthday present is binned lol

Kazper very sorry if i could help i would! I broke my archos, stood on it. Near tears when it happened ! I'm actually back to reading paper books now, very medieval! I've sent it back to archos and will have a new one at the beginning of Dec, i chose to wait for the G9. Once i have it i'll detail each step by step.

woohoo i want to do a merry dance, i had tried your links rockfist but it wasnt displaying my devide, the device listed is the archos 101 where mine is the archose 10, spent my day off googling lol, in the end found

http://arnovatech.com/support/updates.html?country=us&lang=en&p=2

dont know why this was not on arhcos website as it is an arhcos arnova but finally got the update, then spent half the eve trying to get win vista to recognise the device, it is updating as we speak...... hopefully when i check it tomorrow i will finally have working youtube :)

thanks a million for your help though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

I have an Archos 605 WiFi at the moment and i want to upgrade to this one. With the 605 WiFi if i want to record TV i need to buy a stand for €99. (this was not always the case)

Can you tell me

1. If i buy this do i need to buy anything more items?

2. Could i just buy this and watch movies and surf the internet and not spend any more money then i have on the device its self?

3.the 605 WiFi has a flimsy virtual on screen keyboard, how good is this one on the device above?

4. Does it come in a cover case?

This is the one i want to get: http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog...oduct&id=27328

Today, 21:50 #5
    tonyheaney

Adverts | Friends
    Arnova 10 G2
    Also whats the difference

Arnova 10 G2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApCOZmPJcBQ

Archos 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAseUJWrUqE

Tony, all 101's as far as I know hook up to a tv via a mini hdmi to hdmi lead. No case comes with them but they are cheap enough on eBay. I'm waiting for the 101g9 250 gig model at the end of dec, it looks awesome!

Advertisement