Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzing around the city

Options
  • 13-10-2011 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

I am hoping to keep honeybees very soon and I am trying to decide where to keep the hives.

I was thinking about my own back garden as I have heard of people keeping them in urban areas these days.

Does anyone keep or know someone who keeps bees in their urban backgarden and does it work out ok?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

This thread in smallholding might help

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056401228

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Bees equals free honey and lots of it too.:D

Am I right in thinking that it would also mean lots of nice flowers and fruit/veg too,if theres bee hives around??

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Corsendonk wrote: »

Thanks very much for that:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    Bees equals free honey and lots of it too.:D

Am I right in thinking that it would also mean lots of nice flowers and fruit/veg too,if theres bee hives around??

With bee numbers in decline it defo makes sense to have your own bees especially if you have a lot of fruit to pollinate.

Interesting,thanks for that.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I can't wait to have my own hives, just have to wait till I'm more settled.

I'm sure you know it does take commitment, this is a good site for contacts.

It is needed in urban areas, if you go ahead you should also encourage your neighbours to plant apple trees. It would be great to get a mix for pollination.

Also, if you have the room, I've heard great things about borage honey.

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    I can't wait to have my own hives, just have to wait till I'm more settled.

I'm sure you know it does take commitment, this is a good site for contacts.

It is needed in urban areas, if you go ahead you should also encourage your neighbours to plant apple trees. It would be great to get a mix for pollination.

Also, if you have the room, I've heard great things about borage honey.

Thanks very much.

The only concern I have really is what the neighbours will think about neighbouring bees but hopefully free jars of honey every year will go some way to keeping them happy.:D

I will be planting dwarf apples etc.. in my garden too and will make sure to have very early and late flowering plants in particular.

I know they forage some distance from the hive but what better on a cold morning than to have breakfast right on your doorstep.:D

Who cares what the neighbours say,its you're back garden and what you do in you're own back garden is none of the neighbours concern or business IMO.

Oh,any joy with sourcing a bee hive or bees yet?

Who cares what the neighbours say,its you're back garden and what you do in you're own back garden is none of the neighbours concern or business IMO.

Oh,any joy with sourcing a bee hive or bees yet?

I have been looking at a few places. I am going with the National hive as that seems to be the most widely used in my area.

My local beekeeping association will help with sourcing the bees when I have everything set up and hopefully there are other members that keep their hives in urban gardens that I can get advice from.

You sound very determined to do this,so go for it.

What more could you want in a garden......bees buzzing around,great flowers and lovely fresh home made honey too.

• Advertisement

any news on this?
    Did you get a beehive yet?:)

any news on this?
    Did you get a beehive yet?:)

Sure did...

It arrived today, its a National hive with a gabled roof and got a glass crownboard because I know I will be a nosy newbie.:D

Having fun assembling the frames.:)

Popped around to have a look at this and take some pics of Muckyhands beehive,that just arrived in.

She had great fun putting it all together.:)

Cedarwood "national" bee hive.

DSCF9675.jpg
    DSCF9678.jpg
    DSCF9676.jpg
    DSCF9682.jpg

Thanks for the pics Paddy147.:)

I will have to get a few more pieces for the hive over the winter, extra supers, frames and foundation, feeder etc... and some help from a certain someone to make a hive stand.;);)

Roll on 2012 when I can get the bees.:D

muckyhands wrote: »
    Thanks for the pics Paddy147.:)

... and some help from a certain someone to make a hive stand.;);)

Roll on 2012 when I can get the bees.:D

No problem.:)

So who would that certain someone "bee" then????:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

hey
    are these hives expensive? and where can we get bees from once i have a hive? any help appreciated:)

david75 wrote: »
    hey
    are these hives expensive? and where can we get bees from once i have a hive? any help appreciated:)

I,ll ask her tomorrow what price it was.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

thank you sir!

Hi

The cedar national hive I got (pics on previous page) was from Fergal Murphy. irishbeehives@gmail.com Have a look at his website, www.irishbeehives.com he has cheaper red deal hives too. I asked for a gable roof and glass crownboard so that cost extra. It was 329 euro.

So far as getting the bees your best bet is to join a beekeeping association, you would get them through there and lots of help/ advice.

Try www.bees.ie as well. It is a site for irish beekeepers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Anyone else doing CDBK course next month? I sent off the form and I am rearing to go!

• Advertisement

Any updates on this?

Seen as the weather is getting nicer and warmer now.:)

Any updates on this?

Funny you should ask because I had the best morning ever. :)

Opened a hive for the first time on my own (with help from an experienced beekeeper of course). :D

Cue some pics....

You can really clearly see the baby bees in the third pic.

Lovely pics there,especially the view of the baby bees.Never even knew what a baby bee looked like,till now.

Looked like a nice sunny day for it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Any updates on this?

She's your girlfriend, ask her in person. Very strange.

The colony is building up strongly now.

In the first pic you can see the capped honey at the top of the frame and in the centre of the second pic theres a queen cell from last year. :)

Anyone else doing CDBK course next month? I sent off the form and I am rearing to go!

I did the course last year with Fingal beekeepers, really fascinating.

How have you been getting on?

The Fingal beekeepers meeting is on tomorrow April 5th in Swords.

Paul O Sullivan of Bee Supplies will be before the meeting starts at 7- 8pm, showing a range of equipment if anyone is interested.

Advertisement