Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More Tesco Bargains [No Off-Topic Chat - See Post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

stevieob wrote: »
    I'm not very good at this game, actually I'm shockingly bad having never played anything other than football / golf and car games before!

waste of a cent :(

Bring it back for a refund ... tell them its faulty :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Trade it in and get something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

B0jangles wrote: »
    Giant boxes of magnum ice-creams (8 full-sized ones, 2 of each flavour - classic, white, caramel and almond) are only 2 euro. I saw this in Bray but I think they are nationwide.

Perfect for this warm and sunny weather!

I posted this already before you in a regular thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Sam Mac wrote: »

Why? I thought all Tesco bargains went in this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

Plenty of the Magnum Mania in Claremorris Tesco - 8pk regular size bars for €2. They were mis-shelved, which might be why they are still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Sam Mac wrote: »

If I'm destined to die of ice-cream headaches I want to take as many of yez with me as I can :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Jim Beam Devil's Cut 70ML 45% was €33 now €20.99, Clearwater.

Dont know if it's everywhere, looked like they were clearing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HairMare

dunworth1 wrote: »
    It was a cordless drill
    I didn't really get the feeling that she wanted it for herself I reckon she was worried about being questioned about it on the cash count

Hi it's not illegal to sell it at 1c, its managers discretion. All low value items like these are supposed to go charity, they don't, staff buy them or they go in bin! If you pay at self service before tag removal you win!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

HairMare wrote: »
    Hi it's not illegal to sell it at 1c, its managers discretion. All low value items like these are supposed to go charity, they don't, staff buy them or they go in bin! If you pay at self service before tag removal you win!

Actually I should correct you there on a couple of things.:o

Its not illegal to buy 1c items in Tesco:) But it is against policy. But you are correct about management discretion on the matter. If it was something small I would let it go through as it is not worth offending a returning customer. A TV on the other hand....

I work for Tesco and have never ever heard of a member of staff buy a 1 cent sale item. They know they are not for sale and it would not be worth disciplinary actions. Any that you may have witnessed are foolish.

These items are kept for charity and fund raising for the chosen charity of the company which is AWARE at the moment. They raise quite a bit of money for a very good cause.

These are my own opinions and not that of Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

some mundane grocery offers:

various large boxes of nestle cereals (Cheerios, Shredded Wheat, Shreddies, Cookie Crisp) - half price
    Twinings Everyday Tea (very nice tea IMO) - 160 bags half price.

they have some Crazy Prices wine sale on as well but I don't think Tesco is a great place to buy wine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

loyatemu wrote: »
    some mundane grocery offers:

various large boxes of nestle cereals (Cheerios, Shredded Wheat, Shreddies, Cookie Crisp) - half price
    Twinings Everyday Tea (very nice tea IMO) - 160 bags half price.

they have some Crazy Prices wine sale on as well but I don't think Tesco is a great place to buy wine...

Is that nationwide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Actually I should correct you there on a couple of things.:o

Its not illegal to buy 1c items in Tesco:) But it is against policy. But you are correct about management discretion on the matter. If it was something small I would let it go through as it is not worth offending a returning customer. A TV on the other hand....

I work for Tesco and have never ever heard of a member of staff buy a 1 cent sale item. They know they are not for sale and it would not be worth disciplinary actions. Any that you may have witnessed are foolish.

These items are kept for charity and fund raising for the chosen charity of the company which is AWARE at the moment. They raise quite a bit of money for a very good cause.

These are my own opinions and not that of Tesco.

I was told it was illegal for them to sell me the PS3 game @ 1 cent, but they gave it to me anyway.

What a load of Horse Manure. Of course it is not illegal to sell something at 1 cent. I see you are actually talking sense though and saying it is against policy.... well this might be more appropriate.

But why? Why is it against policy? and moreso why are the items priced at 1 cent? it is clearly not a mistake as there have been so many of them. Somebody is pricing them up and then people are being stopped from purchasing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭chasm

Someone queried being refused sale of 1p items on Tesco UK FB page last year, other people joined in the conversation but the main points were:

"Can you please clarify your position on 1p items in your stores please? I have just been stopped from buying some Jacobs crackers at my local store and feel both annoyed and embarrassed."

The response was:
    "If a product has been reduced down to 1p the store should not refuse the sale, are you able to advise where in store these were advertised as 1p and in which branch? .........

It may just be a training issue and as far as we are concerned these items are priced like this is to encourage the sale of the item as it is being removed from the range.

Thanks
    ***** - Customer Care

Personally i have been told (by friends who work in tesco) that these items are not meant to be sold - but considering the fact that when you get overcharged in my local tesco the type of refund they offer you depends on who happens to be serving on the CS desk rather than sticking to the Tesco "our promise" double the difference policy. If i had a query i would only trust the reply from head office not from anyone instore tbh. Not that my local store seems to have much by the way of offers just recently - even our TV section has been limited to all Technika/Toshiba tvs now :(

stevieob wrote: »
    I was told it was illegal for them to sell me the PS3 game @ 1 cent, but they gave it to me anyway.

What a load of Horse Manure. Of course it is not illegal to sell something at 1 cent. I see you are actually talking sense though and saying it is against policy.... well this might be more appropriate.

But why? Why is it against policy? and moreso why are the items priced at 1 cent? it is clearly not a mistake as there have been so many of them. Somebody is pricing them up and then people are being stopped from purchasing them.

The mistake is that they are on the shop floor. They are not reduced to clear at that price. There has been a mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Is that nationwide?

dunno - I haven't visited every store.

these were in Greystones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Right guys and gals.

I emailed Tesco Ireland customer services while ago and received the following reply.

"With regards to the 1c items these items are being discontinued. A customer can purchase these as it would be better to sell them at 1c then have to throw them away.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and if I can be of any further help please let me know.

Kind regards

Henry Dawson
    Tesco Ireland Customer Service"

So I guess we should be able to fill our boots guilt free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Like I posted a few days ago many items I seen or bought for 1c have now returned to their pre clerence prices, Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides is now €7 again, I got it for 1c. Just seems they reupped the price of stock rather than throwing it out. Harry Potter 7part2 bluray was 1c this is now back upto €12.99

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Deal of the (last) decade in tesco Ballybrack

1607015_635588713163396_2055922075_n.jpg

Microsoft Student 2006(!) for €84.99

WITH A FREE MOUSE!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Are they seriously selling it for that? Or is this a joke?

• Advertisement

Are they seriously selling it for that? Or is this a joke?

Swear to god! That's why I took the picture.

What's worse is it is tagged, who the **** is going to steal this, time travelers, a museum.

Seems to have been discontinued since 2009!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encarta

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭MB05

Toffifee's 400g box (48 sweets) is marked half price. Should be €3.42 but they are actually scanning in at €1.71 (75% off)! I got them in Clarehall and there were still a couple on the shelves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Got one of those Breville Irons for €7.33 in Cabra today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Single bounty bars for 15c in tesco poleberry. Waterford not out of date until mid March

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Tesco roscommon but possibly elsewhere
    Dolce gusto chococino half price,
    Tesco columbian 454g hald price and one other tesco.
    Bewleys Indian Araku half price (cleaned out by the person before me so must be nice)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Deal of the (last) decade in tesco Ballybrack

Microsoft Student 2006(!) for €84.99

WITH A FREE MOUSE!

I was told someone got a Nintendo game cube for for €15, never opened.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I was told someone got a Nintendo game cube for for €15, never opened.

Tell them I hate them. Avengers bluray was 1c now €12:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Volvic 1.5 Liter is only 50 cent in all Tesco at the moment. 1.5 liter is handy sized bottle.

Plus Ben And Jerrys is around €3 again (half price). But if you seriously pay €6 for a tub of ice cream you need your head examined

Tesco also have cute 200 gram heart shaped boxes, of heart shaped caburys for only €3

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tesco have a few 'own-brand' wines like their Finest Chenin Blanc, Rose or Bordeaux- for very good prices (typically 7-8 Euro a bottle). Quality and drink-ability very good- and a damn sight better than the brand names in their wine sale, often at over double their price. Note: avoid the Chablis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Tesco have a few 'own-brand' wines like their Finest Chenin Blanc, Rose or Bordeaux- for very good prices (typically 7-8 Euro a bottle). Quality and drink-ability very good- and a damn sight better than the brand names in their wine sale, often at over double their price. Note: avoid the Chablis.

Thanks, I love the Chenin Blanc.
    Chablis, like Pouilly, is worth paying extra for. Get it from a good off license

Soarer wrote: »
    Right guys and gals.

I emailed Tesco Ireland customer services while ago and received the following reply.

"With regards to the 1c items these items are being discontinued. A customer can purchase these as it would be better to sell them at 1c then have to throw them away.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and if I can be of any further help please let me know.

Kind regards

Henry Dawson
    Tesco Ireland Customer Service"

So I guess we should be able to fill our boots guilt free.

Following on from the above, I emailed Henry asking the following....
    "So is it Tesco Ireland’s policy that these 1c
    items are to be sold, and it’s not at the discretion of the individual store
    managers? "

To which he replied....

"When an item is reduced to 1c we do advise the store to remove them. If they do not remove them and a customer attempts to purchase them, the store must sell the item to the customer for 1c.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and if I can be of any further help please let me know. "

So that fairly bookends that, and should do away with the need for all the self service sneakiness.

I can confirm the above works! :D

What did you get for a cent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

A penny sweet.

Sorry, couldn't resist…. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

did you have to show them your origional email?

A tv.
    A penny sweet.

Sorry, couldn't resist…. :rolleyes:

You're not allowed read above for being so cheeky!
    sarah88 wrote: »
    did you have to show them your origional email?

Yup. Weren't gonna sell at first until I showed the email.

**** off did you get a tv, really... I hate you. ;)

Seems you are getting my good karma, the avengers bluray I bought for 1c has the wrong disc in it, some bloody star wars demo bluray instead. Only opened the box last night so no chance of returing it.

Wouldn't give me any discount for it being a display model either!

What store did this happen in .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mac1961

Wouldn't give me any discount for it being a display model either!
    How did you know what tv to look for, have you the model no.

Picked up mario vs donkey kong for ds, it scanned at 1c, but the girl said she couldn't sell it, so I showed her the post on Boards, she went off to look for her manager and came back and said thats fine an email came from head office yesterday and they were allowed to sell 1c items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Castrol edge engine oil.

1lr was 26 euro now 13 in maynooth.

mac1961 wrote: »
    How did you know what tv to look for, have you the model no.

They've little paper slips in the tv section with model numbers and barcodes. Picked up a lash of them, went up to the price checker, and scanned them.

Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

They've little paper slips in the tv section with model numbers and barcodes. Picked up a lash of them, went up to the price checker, and scanned them.

Simples.

Care to share the relevant model number :)

Ye have to do something yereselves.

I can't spoonfeed ye everything.
    I've clarified the situation with Tesco Ireland so we can all buy the 1c items without issue. I've told ye I bought a tv and I've told ye how I found the price by scanning barcodes.
    I don't live in Tesco's. I had to go out of my way every evening for the last couple of weeks, once the kids were in bed, to head over to a couple of different Tescos and scan codes. I finally came across one and purchased.

Really don't think it's too much to ask that ye go out and check model numbers yereselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Soarer you are dead right

Ye have to do something yereselves.

I can't spoonfeed ye everything.
    I've clarified the situation with Tesco Ireland so we can all buy the 1c items without issue. I've told ye I bought a tv and I've told ye how I found the price by scanning barcodes.
    I don't live in Tesco's. I had to go out of my way every evening for the last couple of weeks, once the kids were in bed, to head over to a couple of different Tescos and scan codes. I finally came across one and purchased.

Really don't think it's too much to ask that ye go out and check model numbers yereselves.

Thanks for the info.
    Did a stock check today and sent five boxed and one display 1 cent TVs back into the stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Thanks for the info.
    Did a stock check today and sent five boxed and one display 1 cent TVs back into the stores.

Out of curiosity, what difference does it make to you taking the stock off the floor besides giving yourself the satisfaction that no one here will be able to take advantage of 1c stock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Out of curiosity, what difference does it make to you taking the stock off the floor besides giving yourself the satisfaction that no one here will be able to take advantage of 1c stock?

Well according to tesco they normally go to charity as opposed to the charity of mé féin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Thanks for the info.

Stop ruining the fun for everyone :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement