Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More Tesco Bargains [No Off-Topic Chat - See Post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Still no further reductions in the games yet?

There are a couple left at €10 I wouldn't mind for €5 or less;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭brophs

Does anyone know if they price match electrical items (printer) in Tesco? I had a look on the website and it's not mentioned, so I presume not, but maybe someone knows different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Still no further reductions in the games yet?

There are a couple left at €10 I wouldn't mind for €5 or less;)
    have you scanned them? some of the games I was looking at didnt go down in price but the sel was changed in the main area. got some good bargains ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Are the TVs that good a deal?

Weren't people getting TVs for a cent at one stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bodhi085

Many games reduced further in kinnegad.
    Couple I seen..
    X factor ps3 €1
    Michael Jackson experience ps3 €3
    Beatles band Xbox & ps3 €5
    FIFA 12 ps3 €3
    Few kinect games @€;5 (keep fit ones)
    Quit smoking ds €3
    Brain training ds €3
    Wii sports resort pack game €10
    Metroid wii €5

There was few more for €1 mainly on ps3 but can't remember the rest now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Nipped into Tesco Tullamore last Thursday evening to grab a carton of milk and came out with a suitcase! €15! It was the last one in that size.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-2-wheel-ultra-lightweight-suitcase-grey-large/172-3949.prd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Nipped into Tesco Tullamore last Thursday evening to grab a carton of milk and came out with a suitcase! €15! It was the last one in that size.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-2-wheel-ultra-lightweight-suitcase-grey-large/172-3949.prd
    If anyone spots these elsewhere please let me know. Especially around Dublin. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Are the TVs that good a deal?

Weren't people getting TVs for a cent at one stage?

don't mention the war :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Off topic, but be aware of a fraudulent e-mail purporting to be from tesco offering the chance to win a shopping voucher, it is a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Minatauro

Just for heads up for any gamers. I saw 2 copies of a game called Watchdogs for xbox 360 for sale in tesco Lucan for 60 euro each. The game is not due to be released until tomorrow and looks like it is normally 65 euro. So a small bit of a bargain and you will possibly be the first in dublin to have it (i dont have 60 to get it but someone might).

Hope this is of use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

40watt lightbulbs in Tesco Crescent for 50c....great bargain I picked up 20, you can never have enough spare lightbulbs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭gussieg

Quite saddened to visit Tesco Talbot st and be informed that they no longer reduce to clear their pastries and fresh breads, just throw them all into a plastic bag and then the Bin. I do hope that is a lie and that at least members of staff or others get to take them home.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

gussieg wrote: »
    Quite saddened to visit Tesco Talbot st and be informed that they no longer reduce to clear their pastries and fresh breads, just throw them all into a plastic bag and then the Bin. I do hope that is a lie and that at least members of staff or others get to take them home.

Yeah I was in tesco Bettystown at the weekend, they normally sell off all that too but over the weekend nothing was reduced at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I expect it's the inability of a small minority to act in a civilised manner when something is being reduced that has ruined it for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I expect it's the inability of a small minority to act in a civilised manner when something is being reduced that has ruined it for everyone.

In what way? Do they shout out mating calls, beat their chests and fling their poo anytime they see a bargain?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its end of life perishable bakery products. I don't understand how you could be uncivilised about it? I do often ask if the baking has been reduced yet, on my way home if I have to pop in to get milk or whatever- and if it hasn't- I may hang around a few minutes to get the kids a treat I might not otherwise buy. I don't think this is cheeky or uncivilised- and the staff are quite happy with this.

Perhaps they are reducing their bakery output to try to up their margins?

Do elaborate on what uncivilsed behaviour you're talking about, and how the behaviour of a minority has spoilt it for everyone- I am genuinely interested to hear what your thoughts are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I would have to agree with the groutch.

A Small minority act like vultures hanging around the staff reducing items.

Pouncing on the items as soon as the staff member puts it on the shelf.
    I've personally seen two women come close to fighting each other because both wanted the same item.

Must be kinda intimidating for the staff.

But as I said it's a small minority.

Perhaps its only in some stores- anywhere I've been- people may be waiting, but we're all civilised towards one another. I've not seen the 'pouncing' and near fisticuffs, you refer to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Perhaps its only in some stores- anywhere I've been- people may be waiting, but we're all civilised towards one another. I've not seen the 'pouncing' and near fisticuffs, you refer to.

That's because you're too busy smothering everyone with pepper spray…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

I've seen in Tesco Clarehall people gathering around and grabbing everything as the sales staff put it down. They then walk away and sort through what the want and don't want, quite often throwing what they dont want on any shelf.

bren2001 wrote: »
    I've seen in Tesco Clarehall people gathering around and grabbing everything as the sales staff put it down. They then walk away and sort through what the want and don't want, quite often throwing what they dont want on any shelf.

Its definitely more civilised in Lucan/Celbridge/Maynooth........ Absolutely no evidence of this type behaviour. If there are any staff members- perhaps they'd like to pipe up with their tuppence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

I've seen this in Kibarrack too. It's usually the same couple of oul ones each time. The shelf where they sell stuff off is fairly small and they'll block the area and even take stuff off the trolley as the girl is reducing it before it even goes on the shelf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

While I haven't seen too much in the way of uncivilized behaviour, there was often a scrum around the staff reducing and yellow labelling stock, so much so I've now observed the staff actually taking everything out of the reduced counter, pack it into those plastic vegetable trays, bring it behind deli/bakery and re-reduce it and then just put the trays back out rather than put the items individually on the shelf and let the people grab what they can. I've seen people just take the entire plastic trays and put them in their trolley and sort through it that way.
    Not always aulwans either, I've seen families instruct their children to grab what they can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

I have seen people sitting on the floor infront of the reduced section, waiting for the staff to bring out new stuff.
    I have also seen families using buggies and trollies to block access to the shelves so that nobody else can access them.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Maybe it has something to do with Clarehall and Kilbarrack being centred in large working class areas, possibly areas of high unemployment.
    Kenny should be brought down to witness this example of "recovery".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i got for €1 today these wraps (4pk) in Tesco douglas,

(i cannot find an image for the 4pk so the 8pk will have to do)

Flour-tortillas.ashx

the kits are €3 and you get 8 in that, and the wraps themselves work out cheaper buying two 4pks than one 8pk.

in douglas they are not on the shelf or in the offer section but in a basket just inside the door as you are walking in. we find them handy as the birds eye crispy chicken is also on half price at €1.34 so we make our own hot chicken wraps at home! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

I have seen violence in Tesco unfortunately. There are huge numbers of gypsies who bring their whole extended family to Tesco Clearwater in Finglas and basically hang around for hours waiting for something to be dropped onto a shelf. I have seen serious fights there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭CH3OH

gussieg wrote: »

I was going to post the same question a few weeks back. I noticed in the Arklow store that the reduced perishable items ( i.e. bread pastries, meat, cooked meat veg, etc) was still on the shelf the following morning after being reduced by about 25% the night before.
    I asked a member of staff and it seems that Tesco got fed up with the same people only shopping at 8 p.m. for the drastically reduced items.
    I also asked about donating it and this doesn't seem possible because of the use by dates .

I did notice one woman last night following a member of staff around as items were reduced.

I was always impressed in the past by one family who just threw everything reduced into their trolley and then put back what they didn't want.
    I also noticed that the staff get a good few of the reduced items. (and I'm not complaining as if I was working there , I'd be looking for a bargain too)

It does seem criminal if thing like veg are going into the bin.
    Although some of the fresh meat that was reduced in Arklow this morning looked so bad , i wouldn't give it to a dog

I have seen violence in Tesco unfortunately. There are huge numbers of gypsies who bring their whole extended family to Tesco Clearwater in Finglas and basically hang around for hours waiting for something to be dropped onto a shelf. I have seen serious fights there.

Surely there is some mechanism for excluding customers who might be thought to be troublemakers (notwithstanding equality legislation).......... Its not normal to go shopping in gangs- period. If you do- I would assume security would be all over you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Ok kinda back on topic * i did say kinda ;)
    Wilkinson Sword Hydro Gel is €5.49 but with a free razor. Its the hydro 5 blade razor. The same Hydro 5 blade razor on its own is €10.49. This razor just comes with one blade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

daytob wrote: »
    Ok kinda back on topic * i did say kinda ;)
    Wilkinson Sword Hydro Gel is €5.49 but with a free razor. Its the hydro 5 blade razor. The same Hydro 5 blade razor on its own is €10.49. This razor just comes with one blade.

Without a shadow of a doubt the best Razor you will ever buy. Makes Gillette look like a cheap disposable.

I've never used the Gel, normally go for the King of Shaves Gel myself, but might get a bottle just for the free blade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Kinikie

CH3OH wrote: »
    I was going to post the same question a few weeks back. I noticed in the Arklow store that the reduced perishable items ( i.e. bread pastries, meat, cooked meat veg, etc) was still on the shelf the following morning after being reduced by about 25% the night before.
    I asked a member of staff and it seems that Tesco got fed up with the same people only shopping at 8 p.m. for the drastically reduced items.
    I also asked about donating it and this doesn't seem possible because of the use by dates .

I did notice one woman last night following a member of staff around as items were reduced.

I was always impressed in the past by one family who just threw everything reduced into their trolley and then put back what they didn't want.
    I also noticed that the staff get a good few of the reduced items. (and I'm not complaining as if I was working there , I'd be looking for a bargain too)

It does seem criminal if thing like veg are going into the bin.
    Although some of the fresh meat that was reduced in Arklow this morning looked so bad , i wouldn't give it to a dog

Tesco work with a charity called foodcloud to donate this kind of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Admldj

stevieob wrote: »
    Without a shadow of a doubt the best Razor you will ever buy. Makes Gillette look like a cheap disposable.

Can't disagree more! I was impressed with the first shave but it seemed to dull very quickly and is seriously lacking the single blade of the fusion for the tight spots, fusion proglide is unbeatable in my eyes, but each to his own I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Admldj wrote: »
    Can't disagree more! I was impressed with the first shave but it seemed to dull very quickly and is seriously lacking the single blade of the fusion for the tight spots, fusion proglide is unbeatable in my eyes, but each to his own I suppose.

i guess so.

I just binned a blade this morning. I don't shave every day, maybe 3 times a week. Had that blade on since probably Christmas!

I find the single blade nothing more than a gimmick. The way you can just flick up the top of the Hydro blade lets you get to any tight spots and cut a clean line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Cats.Whiskers

Tesco-Make-your-own-truffle-kit-.jpg
    These are for sale in Tesco Balbriggan, same box but with a different cardboard sleeve (210g), across from the coffee aisle just up from the gluten free stuff for €2 - Best before January 2015 - I bought a box last week but haven't made them yet, spotted them again today I thought they were worthy of a bargain alert

I did find a blog entry from someone who wasn't as lazy as myself showing how to make them.

http://betterbutteredup.com/2013/07/08/tescos-truffle-kits-review/

OFF Topic but in relation to the scrums when the reduced to clear shelve gets filled up, I was talking to a security guard and apparently some shoplifters (all nationalities) use this crowd situation as an opportunity to stuff expensive non reduced things from their baskets into their bags, up their jumpers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tweedle Dumb

25% off 6 or more bottles of wine starts today and runs til the 2nd of June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Have seen it there too. A couple once came with a trolley and grabbed everything that was reduced on the bakery shelves. There were 10s of breads, pastries, etc. Then they sorted everything once at the till and left behind what they didn't want. The staff won't put these back until a few hours later, so it's a loss for other shoppers who are hoping for a bargain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Huzzah,

Can you use these in conjunction with the boost vouchers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Well, a very loose "25% off" !!

The wine I buy is normally 8€ (always) yet today it is selling for 12.99€

So take 6 x 12.99 = 77.94 - 25% = 58.45 / 6 = 9.75 Per Bottle

So infact my wine is GONE UP by 1.75 per bottle in this "promotion"

Come on Tesco - do you think we are stupid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

vicwatson wrote: »

They always do it ... I've stopped buying wine in Tesco unless I spot a genuine decent price (usually nowadays that's only when they are clearing a discounted line - for instance the last decent deal was the Miwok Ridge Shiraz @ €6 per bottle).
    Plenty of better value, at a consistent price, in Aldi or Lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

vicwatson wrote: »

Yes, yes they do.

Tesco's business model is based on people not reading the label, or their receipts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

loyatemu wrote: »
    Yes, yes they do.

Tesco's business model is based on people not reading the label, or their receipts.

Or when they do notice that they've been overcharged that they won't say anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

RayCon wrote: »
    They always do it ... I've stopped buying wine in Tesco unless I spot a genuine decent price (usually nowadays that's only when they are clearing a discounted line - for instance the last decent deal was the Miwok Ridge Shiraz @ €6 per bottle).
    Plenty of better value, at a consistent price, in Aldi or Lidl.

Wine almost everywhere is sold by jacking up the price for the minimum period required to allow them advertise their amazing discounts. Agreed on Lidl wine good selection without the fantasy discounts, not so much on Aldi, cheap but not so cheerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

stevieob wrote: »

I find the single blade nothing more than a gimmick.

I cut myself twice using that single blade so I don't use it anymore and I also think it is a gimmick as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

I always stock up on my wine in Tesco when they have this offer, the price has never been jacked up and sometimes is even reduced as well. Definitely going shopping this weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Good spot.
    They are doing all the time but they get away with it because not everybody reads "Boards Bargain Threads!".
    When they have their "sales", there's always a massive queue in Stillorgan.

Agree on the Lidl/Aldi comments, I would be a Lidl Wine fan also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Tesco Kilbarrack have the most random reductions at the moment.
    I got a jar of Roma Lasagne Sauce for 54c, a Discovery Fajita kit for 99c and I also got a few packs of 2 bulbs for 10c (someone had mentioned them here). These are great because they fit in my Ikea lamps and they are usually dear enough. I put back a 10c ice scraper when I was at the till because it was something I know I'd never use but there were plenty of them there for anyone interested.

Re the wine - I like Vinyards Malbec. It's usually €7 but with the discount it works out at €5.25 (I think!). They also do a Merlot, Shiraz and Chardonnay and they're all drinkable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Eastman's Cinema Style Popcorn 200g big bags down to 64c each - great for the cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Tilda 250g Microwaveable Rice Pouches.

Normal retail - €2.29 each

They were on promotion last week at half price - €1.14 each (which was a bargain)

Now on promotion at 3 for €2.00 . Thought it was 3 for 2, but no......3 for €2.00.

Bought 21 packs in tesco merrion.

Full retail price €48.09
    Half price €23.88
    Current deal: €14.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭CH3OH

309136.jpg

McVities Rich Tea

100% extra free and only €1

The twin pack beside them is €3.75

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement