Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tetras nipping

Options
  • 13-10-2011 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

About 2 weeks ago I added 6 rummynose tetras to my tank and all was going well, or so I thought.

For the last few days I've been thinking that my betta's tail has been looking a little shorter, but I haven't been sure until seeing one of the tetras nipping at it just now. I have a 15L that I could turn into a betta-only tank, but it's not set up, so it's not cycled and I don't want to cycle it with the betta in there.

Are there any emergency measure I can take to hopefully curb this in the meantime, before poor Talyn loses his tail?

Also; what filter and heater would be best for a 15L tank?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

emergency solution is to add a Breeding net to put your Betta in until you sort out your other tank

The below net is €5 in Maxi Zoo

BreedingNet.jpg

I have loads of heaters so i can sell you one cheap . pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

WIZE wrote: »
    emergency solution is to add a Breeding net to put your Betta in until you sort out your other tank

The below net is €5 in Maxi Zoo

I have loads of heaters so i can sell you one cheap . pm me
    Thanks so much for that! That would be perfect to keep him safe for a couple of weeks.

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you could speed up the cycle in the unused tank by using some of the water from your other (i'm assuming bigger) tank and also squeezing out the filter from the other tank into the smaller one and leaving it long enough to clear?

obviously you'll want to check your levels with a test kit before you introduce the betta, but between that and the breeding net WIZE suggested, you'll be sorted in no time. :)

funnily enough, i had a problem with something nipping the tail on one of my guppies to the point where it was almost gone entirely (compared to a normal long, flowing guppy tail), but since moving it to my new tank it's actually re-grown about 3/4 of the tail in the last month or so which was a bit of a surprise as i didn't realise they would regenerate missing tail fins, so i'm pretty chuffed about that. :)

I popped into the shop today and got a filter, so the smaller tank is now running with 50% water from the bigger tank, and a fistfull of the ceramic medium from the Ube (bigger tank). I didn't manage to get a breeding net but I'll go looking for one of those tomorrow. No heater as of yet, but I've done the best I can for the moment. My only worry is that the filter, which was the smallest in stock, was rated for up to 60L so I'm worried that the current will be too much for the betta. Any tips on making it a bit gentler?

I also picked up an anubias and something that had no tag on it so I don't know what it is, but I think it's an amazon sword so hopefully the betta will have more hiding places at the moment. Will probably leave the sword in the big tank and transfer the lotus and anubias into the smaller one once I get a heater. Will probably get another anubias at some stage for the big tank.

Thanks for all the help folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Pack some filter wool into the filter and you'll slow the current through it (more resistance = slower flow).

• Advertisement

Into the outflow nozzle?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

In the main chamber.

Can do! Thanks again.

Advertisement