Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney may be a mug - discuss

• 13-10-2011 6:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

happy-face-mug.jpg

Seeing that grin a mile wide on his face at the playoff draw was very insulting to our opponents. Now if they come out and kick our ass (unlikely but you never know) you know who to blame (again):mad: He must really enjoy making us look like prats.

"They" is code for John Delaney

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

John Delaney IS a mug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If I typed the words I though John Delaney is, I'd not only be banned from the Soccer Forum, I'd probably be banned from the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Delaney is a smug mug

Blatter is a tosser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ah will you go on out of that. Sure didn't he give the lads a few slabs of (free) Carlsberg on the train and put a few quid behind the bar for Rovers in Belgrade? And never mind the fact that his annual salary (€430,000 in case you were wondering) is more that four times what the winner of the League of Ireland gets in prize money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

In his defence, we don't know for certain he was smiling at getting an 'easy' tie. One of those dudes beside he could have said something funny. You never know. I have laughed at funerals. Just sayin'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

What way could you go about removing him from the FAI?
    Murder would possibly be a bit harsh.

Ah will you go on out of that. Sure didn't he give the lads a few slabs of (free) Carlsberg on the train and put a few quid behind the bar for Rovers in Belgrade? And never mind the fact that his annual salary (€430,000 in case you were wondering) is more that four times what the winner of the League of Ireland gets in prize money.

Annddddd he threw his tie into the crowd at the russian game, what more do we want for 430k eh !!!

Who the hell would want HIS tie eh!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

vicwatson wrote: »

Who the hell would want HIS tie eh!?

I don't know, did he sign it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I hope the travelling Irish fans set the locals straight next month.
    His reaction today was something I'd see Tommy at the end of the bar doing whilst totting up his 50 cent accumulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Why wouldn't he smile, he got the draw he wanted!

• Advertisement

I don't know, did he sign it?

:)

Did he sign it !

I don't know that just saw him flinging into the Irish fans after the Russian game.

The space cadet !:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

People argue about Trappatoni. Some like him, some don't.

No one likes Delaney. He's an embarrasment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Delany is a good politician who does his job well for the FAI.

He wouldn't get half the hate if it wasn't for his huge wage. It seems it's almost fashionable to dislike him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Delany is a good politician who does his job well for the FAI.

He wouldn't get half the hate if it wasn't for his huge wage. It seems it's almost fashionable to dislike him.
    Nonsense, people don't like him for a reason, and that reason isn't "because it's cool to dislike John Delaney", people dislike him for what he is and his major fuck-ups and fuck-overs he's performed in the name of Ireland's national side, not that I care. And laughing in the face of his future opponents, figuratively speaking, is exactly what a good politician wouldn't do, it is in fact what a shite one does.

Nailz wrote: »
    Nonsense, people don't like him for a reason, and that reason isn't "because it's cool to dislike John Delaney", people dislike him for what he is and his major fuck-ups and fuck-overs he's performed in the name of Ireland's national side, not that I care. And laughing in the face of his future opponents, figuratively speaking, is exactly what a good politician wouldn't do, it is in fact what a shite one does.
    Cop on. Being pleased with a draw is not as sign of disrespect to the opposition.

He probably would have gotten crap if he kept a stern face. 'Lack of acknowledgement to Estonia etc. etc.' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I agree that it's just easy to dislike him.
    It's lazy analysis by many just to trot out the old 'he makes too much money and is an idot lines'

But at the end of the day he has managed to deliver a top manager, at little cost to the FAI, and a brand new stadium.

Both great achievements if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Cop on. Being pleased with a draw is not as sign of disrespect to the opposition.

He probably would have gotten crap if he kept a stern face. 'Lack of acknowledgement to Estonia etc. etc.' :rolleyes:
    Don't be daft, it has nothing to do with lack of "acknowledgement", everything to do with lack of respect. Sure you can be happy with the draw, few Irish soccer fans would be, just don't laugh at it, from the outside looking in they'll have it in for us now, and after a decent draw that's the last thing the Irish need, extra incentive for them to beat us. The fact you're defending the clown despite Estonian media clearly not being too happy about it is beyond me.

Do it at home, by yourself or with FAI colleagues if you like, but not when there's a camera on you - braindead thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭chillian17

Grassroots football in this country is a disgrace. Pitches, not just other facilities such as club houses, and training gear, are in an absolutely awful condition. I'd know this, after playing DDLS for 8 years up until 2 years ago. All John Delaney's fault.

This country's national league is also in a shambolic state thanks to Delaney's ignorant attitude to the League of Ireland.

That's exactly how he's not doing a good job as CEO of the FAI. The sooner he's out of the job the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

chillian17 wrote: »
    Grassroots football in this country is a disgrace. Pitches, not just other facilities such as club houses, and training gear, are in an absolutely awful condition. I'd know this, after playing DDLS for 8 years up until 2 years ago. All John Delaney's fault.

This country's national league is also in a shambolic state thanks to Delaney's ignorant attitude to the League of Ireland.

That's exactly how he's not doing a good job as CEO of the FAI. The sooner he's out of the job the better.

Agreed. His salary and goonish antics are the lesser reasons for disliking this excuse of a human being.

And backed up by the ignorant attidue of the Irish public towards the league.

• Advertisement

dan1895 wrote: »
    Agreed. His salary and goonish antics are the lesser reasons for disliking this excuse of a human being.

wow, that's some statement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

wow, that's some statement

Trust me, I'm holding back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

OK now the man deserves his fair share of blame for many things, but pitches being in terrible condition is ALL his fault? Seriously? Lets have a small bit of reason for a change.

Lets be realistic here. Whatever you think about what he does at his job, it is at the end of the day still football. Nonsense like calling him "this excuse of a human being" is completely uncalled for. He's not killing or maiming anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

What club you with? I'll give John a call see if he can arrange some Balls/Bibs and cones them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

In terms of grassroots football, it's not very rosy I think. Delaney should have something set up that sends officials down from the FAI in Dublin to make sure the county FA's are doing their jobs. That would be a great start...

Take the Galway League for example. Some clubs went without weeks for a game because of fixture changes due to weather and game concessions as fines weren't handed out as supposed. By April, 100 games had been conceded! :eek: Some teams were playing cup games two or three weeks in a row which meant some teams in the league ended up having played four or five games more! The Galway FA is known for it's inconsistency and unwillingness to move with the times. From what I gather, the GFA actually doesn't have a definitive fixture list for the full season...madness if true!

The U-13 Premier Division had 8 games played between September and January last year. How are the kids supposed to enjoy training when they don't know when the next match is and when matches are two or three weeks apart? 21 games were then played in the space of three months, March, April and May.

There's also huge confusion between eligibility of B team players or something like that. Haven't followed that one too much as it's confusing!

Premier games rarely have the three officials they need to have.

Don't get me started on the Ladies League and the fiasco that occured the season before last. :rolleyes:

In terms of facilities, it's good in Galway. Obviously we have Salthill and Mervue with fine set ups, Tuam Celtic are moving along nicely and I hear Colemanstown has a nice set up. Dunmore, although in the Roscommon league, have a nice club house and facilities.

That's as much as I know and have gathered so I stand to be corrected on some points but I saw first hand how the GFA dealt with the Ladies League, threatening to disband teams and kick the whole club out if we didn't stop our breakaway league so I'd nearly believe it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

'

But at the end of the day he has managed to deliver a top manager, at little cost to the FAI, and a brand new stadium.

Both great achievements if you ask me

Both great achievements by Denis O Brien and the IRFU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mars bar wrote: »
    Delaney should have something set up that sends officials down from the FAI in Dublin to make sure the county FA's are doing their jobs.

:D:D:D

He can't even keep his own house in order, let alone trying to keep the Galway FA in check.

Sounds horrendous though.

Both great achievements by Denis O Brien and the IRFU.

So John Delaney had absolutely zero to do with getting a manager of Trap's experience to manage the ROI at far less expenses to the FAI than he would usually have cost ?

And John Delaney had absolutely zero to do with the rebuilding of Landsdown Rd.

I know the FAI are not the most adept organization in the world and that Delaney comes across as a bit of an idiot but give the guy some credit for what has been achieved under his leadership.

But then again this is boards.ie and everyone here knows best and knows who is to balme for all the ills or the world, whether it be sport, politics, the world economy etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

But then again this is boards.ie and everyone here knows best and knows who is to balme for all the ills or the world, whether it be sport, politics, the world economy etc.

So we shouldn't share our rants, opinions, personal experiences and thoughts?

I'll let others pick up on your comments regarding Lansdowne and the FAIs expenses/costs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

It was disrespectful, all he was short of doing was the worm on the floor.

The mans a tosser, if i was a neutral id want the Estonians to win, id say most of Europe bar the Polish/Ukrainians do too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

So John Delaney had absolutely zero to do with getting a manager of Trap's experience to manage the ROI at far less expenses to the FAI than he would usually have cost ?

And John Delaney had absolutely zero to do with the rebuilding of Landsdown Rd.

I know the FAI are not the most adept organization in the world and that Delaney comes across as a bit of an idiot but give the guy some credit for what has been achieved under his leadership.

And he's the guy who refused a massive lump sum for the premium level seats and decided he could sell them for 32k. Think they sold 20% of them at!
    And looking at the letters between Daniel McDonald in the indo and the FAI, anyone that thinks the FAI are doing a great job and shouldn't be criticized are living in cloud cuckoo land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭davocesque

Delaneys biggest mistake is the ticketing scheme for the aviva, they rectified it to a degree, still not great though.

To dislike Delaney though is to a degree 'jumping on the bandwagon'. the fact is, he has done actually a very good job. to say say he's a bad CEO because some pitches are s**** is a joke. thats up to the club/league or in park cases the corpo/council. the LOI is in a far better state now that Delaney has merged the FAI with the LOI. Im sure most you you haters of delanye didnt realise the LOI and FAI were separate entities until 2006. Secondly, concerning the LOI, its up to the clubs themselves to sort theyre business out, delaney cant be an accountant for the 22 clubs!!

Lets not forget that he has brought in a top class manager in Trap (even though I would still like him to leave after this playoff/euros), we also have the Aviva, (yes mainly due to the IRFU but we'd still be waiting on berties bowl otherwise). he also worked to bring more money into the FAI, the sky deal brings ALOT more money then RTE, plus the creation of the nations cup, (while terrible) still served to bring in plenty of money.

So maybe, people can give good solid facts as to the bad things he has done, that he is actually responsible for, things like your club not supplying a full set of bibs is not one of them!

davocesque wrote: »
    Delaneys biggest mistake is the ticketing scheme for the aviva, they rectified it to a degree, still not great though.

To dislike Delaney though is to a degree 'jumping on the bandwagon'. the fact is, he has done actually a very good job. to say say he's a bad CEO because some pitches are s**** is a joke. thats up to the club/league or in park cases the corpo/council. the LOI is in a far better state now that Delaney has merged the FAI with the LOI. Im sure most you you haters of delanye didnt realise the LOI and FAI were separate entities until 2006. Secondly, concerning the LOI, its up to the clubs themselves to sort theyre business out, delaney cant be an accountant for the 22 clubs!!

Lets not forget that he has brought in a top class manager in Trap (even though I would still like him to leave after this playoff/euros), we also have the Aviva, (yes mainly due to the IRFU but we'd still be waiting on berties bowl otherwise). he also worked to bring more money into the FAI, the sky deal brings ALOT more money then RTE, plus the creation of the nations cup, (while terrible) still served to bring in plenty of money.

So maybe, people can give good solid facts as to the bad things he has done, that he is actually responsible for, things like your club not supplying a full set of bibs is not one of them!

The FAI were unlucky with the timing of the sale of the Vantage Club seats

Had the boom lasted a few more years or had the stadium been started earlier or had we a a team in the '00s that made it to more than just one WC then I'd image those Vantage Club seats would have sold like hot cakes.

I would not put the blame for the Nations Cup squarely at Delaye's feet either, there are 3 other associations involved and I'd bet there would be a lot less abuse fired at him here about it had it been held in Scotland, Wales or NI in 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭davocesque

I would not put the blame for the Nations Cup squarely at Delaye's feet either, there are 3 other associations involved and I'd bet there would be a lot less abuse fired at him here about it had it been held in Scotland, Wales or NI in 2011

Im not actually blaming delaney at all, i think he's done a really good job, and the nations cup is a good idea, given the money it can raise from the rights sold to sky. and what makes it better is that England have shown an interest. I felt the tournament itself was terrible to watch, but that, i would agree is more up to the other nations not fielding stronger teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

To be fair, the man is good for a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

davocesque wrote: »
    To dislike Delaney though is to a degree 'jumping on the bandwagon'. the fact is, he has done actually a very good job. to say say he's a bad CEO because some pitches are s**** is a joke. thats up to the club/league or in park cases the corpo/council. the LOI is in a far better state now that Delaney has merged the FAI with the LOI.

What are you smoking? How many clubs have gone out of existance and had to reform since 2006 alone:eek:

We got Trap because a rich business agreed to pay half his wages, embarassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Im not Dealneys biggest fan but this thread is ridiculous. how the hell do ye know what he was laughing at? We have no idea of what had transpired just before the cameras panned to the Irish delegation . honest to god, some of ye would need to cop the **** on. He can do no right, no matter what, it seems.

What are you smoking? How many clubs have gone out of existance and had to reform since 2006 alone:eek:

As the poster said Delaney cannot be expected to be accountant to every club in the country.

It's not his faulty that Bohs go and get involved in the property bubble, it's not his fault that Galway Utd can't manage their finances.

As for the manager, what's embarrassing about getting a manager of Trap's pedigree and not having to pay full price for him.

This place would be up in arms if we had to pay full price from Trap, people would be abusing Delaney for wasting money.

But how can you say the LOI is in a better state whe financially it's fecked and crowds are down. Just curious, how?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

this alone is a sign that there is an increasingly zero tolerance attitude to "creative accounting" allowing clubs run up massive losses.

Its a more professional set up for sure, even if there is less money. Clubs need to breath for a few years without the artificial injection of loans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

But how can you say the LOI is in a better state whe financially it's fecked and crowds are down. Just curious, how?

The LOI has seen better days, but it was all a fallacy really. Look at the clubs who were successful, Shels, Bohs, Cork City. They all did so by spending money that they didn't have, and never would have.

Letting things build slowly is the way to go. Hell it may not even reach the heights we would like, but right now the LOI is what it is. Older journeymen on crazy wages are making way for younger more talented lads with better sell on value and thats a start.

Blaming Delaney for the leagues woes is almost as crazy as thanking him for Shamrock Rovers success in Europe.

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Blaming Delaney for the leagues woes is almost as crazy as thanking him for Shamrock Rovers success in Europe.

READ WHAT I'M SAYING!

I'm not blaming him, but the BS claim the league has improved since they took is a fallacy!
    this alone is a sign that there is an increasingly zero tolerance attitude to "creative accounting" allowing clubs run up massive losses.

Its a more professional set up for sure, even if there is less money. Clubs need to breath for a few years without the artificial injection of loans.

There is less professional clubs than there was in 2006, there is only one now. They've more than halved the prize money for teams participating in the league. How is a more professional set-up?

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Letting things build slowly is the way to go. Hell it may not even reach the heights we would like, but right now the LOI is what it is. Older journeymen on crazy wages are making way for younger more talented lads with better sell on value and thats a start.

I agree with that but that's a policy that's been forced on clubs due to financial contraints. The league won't go anywhere unless the public support it, it's that simple.

Crowds though are going down and not up. Look at the LOI attendances last week if you take away the Rovers game. They were laughable. The LOI brand is almost toxic with footy fans in Ireland and the league needs to be marketed better by its custodians and I don't think the FAI care enough about the league. They show that when they pay their CEO more than what they pay every club combined. It's a shambles of a situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Lads ye have NO idea what the man had a chuckle about when Estonia was drawn against us.
    Someone could have farted! Someone could have bet him a turkey sandwitch that we'd get Estonia.
    Someone could have been saying Montenegro all day..and then boom Estonia it was.

I dont particulary like the man, but i honestly dont think he was splitting his hole laughing at the 'easy draw' we got!
    Seriously...yez are all mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Im not Dealneys biggest fan but this thread is ridiculous. how the hell do ye know what he was laughing at? We have no idea of what had transpired just before the cameras panned to the Irish delegation . honest to god, some of ye would need to cop the **** on. He can do no right, no matter what, it seems.

But it doesn't matter what he was laughing at. He knew that the cameras were going to be on him as soon as Ireland came out of the pot. Any politician (politics being a huge part of his job) would know that keeping their feelings about the draw to themselves was important. It goes without saying that he should have known not to burst out laughing if we got the weakest team. It looks hugely disrespectful. When he is their representing Irish football he should do his best to be portray us in the best possible light.

major bill wrote: »
    It was disrespectful, all he was short of doing was the worm on the floor.
    He would be an absolute f*cking legend if he did the worm when Ireland came out of the draw.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

He would be an absolute f*cking legend if he did the worm when Ireland came out of the draw.:D

he would have went up in my book anyway:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

John Delaney should have been given a red card long back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Des wrote: »
    If I typed the words I though John Delaney is, I'd not only be banned from the Soccer Forum, I'd probably be banned from the internet.

It's ok. Put it down to disgruntled Dundalk fans afterwards. :)

I'm not militant-ly against Delaney. The FAI have helped Rovers on several occasions including getting Tallaght into the Europa League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Only in this country would his glaring fault - enforcing and managing the national league -either be ignored or plain not known about by Irish footbalt supporters.

The FAI have helped Rovers and I am grateful for that. That said, we have recently been in the arena that he likes and that is beneficial to him: one of global publicity.

The assertion in this thread that it is up to Loi clubs to get their house is order is ridiculous. This is meaningless without meaningful sanction if they fail to do so. Kinda like saying its up to drug dealers to stop selling drugs because the gardai are busy.

Fact is that his main priority is the same as many on this thread: namely the national team. You have relatively competent football associations in Spain, Scotland and England looking after your club football interests after all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement