Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney may be a mug - discuss

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Delaney is, in my opinion, an absolute knobhead. Remember when Henry handled it and he lodged a complaint asking for a replay to preserve the game's integrity? Asking for the world cup to be expanded to accommodate Ireland? His actions were actually embarrassing. It was as if it was the first time he had seen a game of football or how football is governed.

Delaney - "If we had qualified in this manner, I wouldn't be happy."
    Haven't heard a peep out of him regarding Cox's handball and he didn't look unhappy when looking at Estonia come out of the pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

jive wrote: »
    Delaney is, in my opinion, an absolute knobhead. Remember when Henry handled it and he lodged a complaint asking for a replay to preserve the game's integrity? Asking for the world cup to be expanded to accommodate Ireland? His actions were actually embarrassing. It was as if it was the first time he had seen a game of football or how football is governed.

Delaney - "If we had qualified in this manner, I wouldn't be happy."
    Haven't heard a peep out of him regarding Cox's handball and he didn't look unhappy when looking at Estonia come out of the pot.
    The guy is only there because of 'Daddy'. A gob****e in most peoples eyes. Every LOI fan hates him. He bought a few pints for the paddies, big deal. You make over 400,000e a year :eek:
    You know we don't like you.
    What can we do to kick these dumb****s out of Irish soccer once and for all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

I've a simple question - why's the floppy headed fuck paid so much?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

That man is a fcuking fool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

http://www.irishexaminer.ie/sport/soccer/fai-boss-paid-bar-tab-out-of-his-own-pocket-173702.html#ixzz1dXkcUy50

I'll just leave this here. Interesting about buying tickets from touts. I always thought that was, whats the word? Oh yes, illegal!

darkman2 wrote: »

Lol, he thinks he's a fúcking rock star or something :pac:

dan1895 wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.ie/sport/soccer/fai-boss-paid-bar-tab-out-of-his-own-pocket-173702.html#ixzz1dXkcUy50

I'll just leave this here. Interesting about buying tickets from touts. I always thought that was, whats the word? Oh yes, illegal!

Is buying from touts illegal ? In Estonia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I heard he was making Paul Merson style drinking motions to the fans as well. The man has no sense of gravitas whatsoever.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Is buying from touts illegal ? In Estonia?

Surely there's some UEFA rule against it.
    Also these tickets from Estonian touts would more than likely be for the Estonian end of the ground which could potentially lead to a security breach. Although I admit that's unlikely with Irish fans but that's beside the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

flahavaj wrote: »
    I heard he was making Paul Merson style drinking motions to the fans as well. The man has no sense of gravitas whatsoever.

he was indeed. making sure they remembered who was buying the drink from the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

I'm far from his biggest fan, but jesus give him a break. He bought tickets from a tout to give away to fans, put his own money behind the bar for fans, and although he made a bit of a show of himself in the process, made the effort to go down to the fans in the ground and thank them

Fair play John

tommyhaas wrote: »
    I'm far from his biggest fan, but jesus give him a break. He bought tickets from a tout to give away to fans, put his own money behind the bar for fans, and although he made a bit of a show of himself in the process, made the effort to go down to the fans in the ground and thank them

Fair play John

as was said many times in talinn over the weekend, would he not be better off using the money he spends on plamasing the fans with booze at various away matches on taking on/keeping on some staff at the fai?

as was said many times in talinn over the weekend, would he not be better off using the money he spends on plamasing the fans with booze at various away matches on taking on/keeping on some staff at the fai?

If it were the FAI's money, then yes of course. But it wasn't FAI money, it was his own money. Fair play to him for buying a few rounds. Its not like the price of that and the tickets could have been enough to keep on the staff at the FAI

If John Delaney found a cure for cancer, he'd be criticised for putting Doctors out of work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Which is exactly the kind of everyman bull**** image he's trying to create. 'Ah sure he's a great man, giving away a few tickets and putting a few quid behind the bar for the lads'. And while he may have put a couple of grand up for beers, it's not like he's going to notice it out of his €400,000 plus yearly salary.

• Advertisement

Which is exactly the kind of everyman bull**** image he's trying to create. 'Ah sure he's a great man, giving away a few tickets and putting a few quid behind the bar for the lads'. And while he may have put a couple of grand up for beers, it's not like he's going to notice it out of his €400,000 plus yearly salary.

Nobody's saying he's a great man, and no obviously he wouldn't notice the cost with what he earns

The point is he didn't have to do it. It was a decent gesture though

If it were the FAI's money, then yes of course. But it wasn't FAI money, it was his own money. Fair play to him for buying a few rounds. Its not like the price of that and the tickets could have been enough to keep on the staff at the FAI

If John Delaney found a cure for cancer, he'd be criticised for putting Doctors out of work

erm... so if he deducts from his own considerable pay from the fai by the amount he uses to buy booze for fans etc...
    he hasn't done that just once, so it adds up.

Nobody's saying he's a great man, and no obviously he wouldn't notice the cost with what he earns

The point is he didn't have to do it. It was a decent gesture though

it's pure plamasing.

it's why the fans were singing 'he used to be a d1ckhead but he's alright now'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Unbelievable that people are actually falling for it!
    Everyone hates Delaney, so he sits around a boardroom with a load of suits, it's like a scene from The Simpsons:
    "How will we get fans to like me?"
    "You need to get in touch with the common man John. Pretend you're a normal football fan. Ireland fans like to drink, buy a few drinks for them"

Are we really that cheap? Delaney buys you a pint or hands out a few cans and all of a sudden he's a great lad? The really sad and pathetic thing is, it's actually working :(

erm... so if he deducts from his own considerable pay from the fai by the amount he uses to buy booze for fans etc...
    he hasn't done that just once, so it adds up.

He paid for the drink and tickets out of his own pocket. What's the problem with that?
    it's pure plamasing.

it's why the fans were singing 'he used to be a d1ckhead but he's alright now'

Plamasing? What's plamasing?

• Advertisement

Plamasing? What's plamasing?

doing what it takes to get people to like you. charming without the natural charm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Buying gargle for Ireland fans on away trips is a simple way of keeping people onside when otherwise they'd be screaming for your head.

Dropping the odd grand here and there to protect your four hundred large a year salary-smart move.

Deleny is no mug folks. The fools who fall for it are.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Unbelievable that people are actually falling for it!
    Everyone hates Delaney, so he sits around a boardroom with a load of suits, it's like a scene from The Simpsons:
    "How will we get fans to like me?"
    "You need to get in touch with the common man John. Pretend you're a normal football fan. Ireland fans like to drink, buy a few drinks for them"

Are we really that cheap? Delaney buys you a pint or hands out a few cans and all of a sudden he's a great lad? The really sad and pathetic thing is, it's actually working :(

Criticise him all you want, I just find it ridiculous he's being criticised for buying a few drinks and giving out tickets

doing what it takes to get people to like you. charming without the natural charm.

I'd agree with you in that that is obviously what he's doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Des wrote: »
    If I typed the words I though John Delaney is, I'd not only be banned from the Soccer Forum, I'd probably be banned from the internet.
    Love it.

Criticise him all you want, I just find it ridiculous he's being criticised for buying a few drinks and giving out tickets

You think it's acceptable that the CEO of the FAI should be dealing with ticket touts and giving tickets to Ireland fans for the home section and compromising all the security arrangements made by the Estonian FA and the local police?

What if there'd been trouble inside the ground and UEFA took action against the FAI over this and forced them to stage their next two competitive home games behind closed doors?

But why bother about all that when Delaney has his ego to massage and his handy, overpaid number to worry about? :rolleyes:

Zebra3 wrote: »
    You think it's acceptable that the CEO of the FAI should be dealing with ticket touts and giving tickets to Ireland fans for the home section and compromising all the security arrangements made by the Estonian FA and the local police?

What if there'd been trouble inside the ground and UEFA took action against the FAI over this and forced them to stage their next two competitive home games behind closed doors?

But why bother about all that when Delaney has his ego to massage and his handy, overpaid number to worry about? :rolleyes:

Its a few tickets, I've no issue with it whatsoever

Regarding him and his job, I haven't commented on that at all. All I've said was fair play to him for buying a few drinks

The reason he's being criticized is because it's a pathetic attempt to buy friends.
    Does he use the company credit card? So it's on his expense account? I know on one attempt to buy friends, it was cans of Carlsberg (one of the FAI's main sponsor). And Ray Houghton was there looking for 3 cheers for John Delaney :rolleyes:

So you think it's totally acceptable for the CEO of the FAI to engage with ticket touts, and breaking security arrangements? :rolleyes:

I don't think you've any understanding of how serious UEFA (and FIFA) treat these matters.

Regarding him and his job, I haven't commented on that at all. All I've said was fair play to him for buying a few drinks

What if there were a few Estonian nutjobs in the crowd who wanted to start a bit of agro with Irish fans in the wrong section? I'm sure we'd all have issues then.

• Advertisement

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The reason he's being criticized is because it's a pathetic attempt to buy friends.
    Does he use the company credit card? So it's on his expense account? I know on one attempt to buy friends, it was cans of Carlsberg (one of the FAI's main sponsor). And Ray Houghton was there looking for 3 cheers for John Delaney :rolleyes:

How do I know whether he uses the company credit card. The article stated it was his own cash, so I'm taking it at face value

What if there were a few Estonian nutjobs in the crowd who wanted to start a bit of agro with Irish fans in the wrong section? I'm sure we'd all have issues then.

Did he force anyone to take the tickets?

Did he force anyone to take the tickets?

No, but he supplied them and knew that the tickets would be used by fans to gain access to a part of the stadium that they should not be in for security reasons.

Big change from last Sunday and him dying to fine Shels ("as per the rules") over the anti-Delaney chanting.

The bloke is a hypocrite.

For starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

He's being criticised not so much for buying people drink, but for being the pathetic ingrate doing so reveals him to be. As has been said I'd criticise anyone thats fooled by it more tbh.

The man is a laughing stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Let's not forget him throwing his tie into the crowed after the game against Russia in Moscow. Delaney want's everyone to think that he's directly responsible for any Irish success and most likely believes it himself.

Yet he's the man who appointed Steve Staunton when he promised 'a world class manager'. He's the same man who tried to convince everyone that he then had nothing to do with the appointment and then sent out an ailing Bobby Robson to take all the flack.

flahavaj wrote: »
    He's being criticised not so much for buying people drink, but for being the pathetic ingrate doing so reveals him to be. As has been said I'd criticise anyone thats fooled by it more tbh.

The man is a laughing stock.
    Let's not forget him throwing his tie into the crowed after the game against Russia in Moscow. Delaney want's everyone to think that he's directly responsible for any Irish success and most likely believes it himself.

Yet he's the man who appointed Steve Staunton when he promised 'a world class manager'. He's the same man who tried to convince everyone that he then had nothing to do with the appointment and then sent out an ailing Bobby Robson to take all the flack.

I've never defended him professionally, I've criticised him many times, particular during the Saipan events and in appointing Stan

My point is, he's the CE. That doesn't look like changing. Buying a few beers won't make up for the mistakes he's made, and continues to make. I don't believe for one minute that this was anything other then a PR exercise, however he put his hand in his own pocket to pay for drink and tickets. Does it make up for his mistakes? No it doesn't, but it was a decent gesture

With all the sticks that could be used to beat Delaney with, I just think its a bit petty to be using this one

Regarding the tickets, has anyone here criticising him for buying them not at some stage been in the home end when they followed the away team?

Regarding the tickets, has anyone here criticising him for buying them not at some stage been in the home end when they followed the away team?

If your asking have I ever bought tickets from a tout then no.
    If your asking have I ever ended up in the wrong end of the ground then yes but after acquiring the ticket legally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

How many pints did he buy for you Tommy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Shur didn't we get into the Euros. Pack of killjoys.

JD is great fella all together.

The nation is having a party and you're with us or you're not alri.

• Advertisement

Today John Delaney officially changed his name to "Joxer", and he'll be going to Poland/Ukraine in a tricolour painted Hiace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Zebra3 wrote: »

to clear all this up and rid the place of bullsh*t.

the fai and the estonian fa met at 2pm local time on friday to discuss irish fans being allowed into the home end. the estonian fa, police and security staff agreed to allowed irish fans into the stadium on the following conditions -
    1. being sober
    2. not wearing colors.
    the head of security (the lad with the dodgy tash) and delaney himself, made speechs to all the fans present in the radisson hotel about this. the tickets delaney bought, if so, were bought in agreement with the estonia fa.

i was in the home seciton the last night and we were welcomed there. i saw a 10 year old being refused entrance, as his face was painted.

himself and his father were not allowed water to wash their faces and nthey gave back their tickets. apart from that, there was about 300 irish fans in the home section and there was still another 300 or 400 empty seats around the ground that irish fans should have been allowed to buy.

to highlight just how things work over there, even the cops were selling tickets at enflated prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

John Delaney is No Mug, we are the Mugs.

He's on the gravy train, best job in Ireland bar none, by a long shot, €400k to boot, who's the Mug ?

Secman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

His constant coming on to the pitch after games does my head in, who does he think he is?

His constant coming on to the pitch

Probably just excitement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

His constant coming on to the pitch after games does my head in, who does he think he is?

CE of the FAI perhaps? sure he goes out drinking with the fans the night before every away game now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

CE of the FAI perhaps? sure he goes out drinking with the fans the night before every away game now.

Yeah he's a suit. What's he doing on the field of play after a game? I've seen manager who won't come on the pitch like that because it takes away the limelight from the players achievements on the pitch yet that clown does it. I've seen that in my life. Unreal, what a donkey.

there was still another 300 or 400 empty seats around the ground that irish fans should have been allowed to buy.

Why should they be allowed to buy them?
    to highlight just how things work over there, even the cops were selling tickets at enflated prices

Oh so because the local cops are corrupt and engaging in illegal activities that makes it ok for the CEO of the FAI to engage in same illegal activities?

Oh so because the local cops are corrupt and engaging in illegal activities that makes it ok for the CEO of the FAI to engage in same illegal activities?

Yeah, how do the cops get them? Was in Accra for the african cup of nations before and the locals were queing up for hours to get tickets in the local post office. Was 8:50, 10 minutes before opening and the local cops came along, were let, bought all the tickets and píssed off! Almost riots outside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Yeah he's a suit. What's he doing on the field of play after a game? I've seen manager who won't come on the pitch like that because it takes away the limelight from the players achievements on the pitch yet that clown does it. I've seen that in my life. Unreal, what a donkey.

The word is demagogue.

It's FAI tradition anyway. The blazers always thought of themselves as being of the same importance as the players. Even more so, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Why should they be allowed to buy them?

Did you not read Homers post above? Clearly stated that the FAI and Estonian FA combined to sell the tickets legally with conditions attached to being allowed into the Home End. Not illegal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement