Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney may be a mug - discuss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

VW 1 wrote: »
    Did you not read Homers post above? Clearly stated that the FAI and Estonian FA combined to sell the tickets legally with conditions attached to being allowed into the Home End. Not illegal.

I did read the post and hands up I missed that part.

He's still an insufferable corrupt gobsh*te though for other reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

He is a mug.

€400k plus a year but still letting people go in the FAI....wonder how they feel when they see him throwing a few grand beind the bar.

He made a show of himself AGAIN on Friday night.

Worrying thing is he will walk into a job with UEFA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

400K. Jeeeeeeeeesus.

the head of security (the lad with the dodgy tash)

Another one that should have got the boot a long time ago.

Cringeworthy seeing him celebrate on the pitch after the Russian game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

dan1895 wrote: »
    He's still an insufferable corrupt gobsh*te though for other reasons

Could you explain how he is guilty of corruption?

Aidric wrote: »

Saying he couldn't help Cobh out financially as it was unfair, then going off and helping Drogheda financially.

Saying he'd do everything he could to ensure Cork City would be playing European football when the club was on the brink of collapse

Shafting Kerr

Promising a world class manager and giving us Stan

Shafting Robson

Censoring fans at LOI games with the threat of fines

Lay-offs in his organisation the same week he's buying off fans with drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's the Robson one that really gets me. Letting a man who was on his deathbed face a barrage of abuse and he hid behind him. Cowardly tosspot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Aidric wrote: »

The FAI (and Delaney is the head of the organisation) interfered in the ref's job at this year's and last year's FAI Cup final by instructing the ref at which end the penalty shoot out was take place (if there was one).

FIFA's Laws of the Games state that this is strictly a decision for the ref.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Saying he couldn't help Cobh out financially as it was unfair, then going off and helping Drogheda financially.

Saying he'd do everything he could to ensure Cork City would be playing European football when the club was on the brink of collapse

Shafting Kerr

Promising a world class manager and giving us Stan

Shafting Robson

Censoring fans at LOI games with the threat of fines

Lay-offs in his organisation the same week he's buying off fans with drink

I'm not defending any of these actions, but have the motives for any of these ever been found, or reasonably suspected of being corrupt?
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    The FAI (and Delaney is the head of the organisation) interfered in the ref's job at this year's and last year's FAI Cup final by instructing the ref at which end the penalty shoot out was take place (if there was one).

FIFA's Laws of the Games state that this is strictly a decision for the ref.

What was the reason given for this? Why was there no toss?

tommyhaas wrote: »
    I'm not defending any of these actions, but have the motives for any of these ever been found, or reasonably suspected of being corrupt?

Morally corrupt, yes

• Advertisement

What was the reason given for this? Why was there no toss?

Apparently for the "benefit of tv". :rolleyes:

The first the Shels players heard about it as at the end of the 120 minutes on matchday.

Regardless of what the reason was, the FAI have no right to interefere with a ref and how he officiates a game or with FIFA's Laws of the Game.

In any self-respecting organisation heads would roll.....

In any self-respecting organisation heads would roll.....

Self respect in the FAI??? Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Morally corrupt, yes
    :rolleyes: Be clear when throwing around the accusations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

This man has made a mockery of his position as CEO of the FAI. He has been love-bombing the fans by supplying them with drink in the various foreign cities. While he was buying the booze on Thursday night in Talinn, 2 members of the FAI technical staff were handed redundancy notices while others were told that their pay would be reduced. Delaney is reportedly on more than €400,000 a year. That more than Barack Obama earns. Amost twice as much as Enda Kenny. Now Delaney has taken to invading the pitch and throwing his tie into the crowd, while at the same time giving the booze signal to the fans. Its embarassing and pathetic. This mad needs to do the decent thing and slice his salary in half. Unfortunately he has surrounded himself with a bunch of YES men, who are being well rewarded for their support. Sad, especially at a time when we should be celebrating the feats of the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

This thread is really sad. Irish soccer in general is not in good shape, this is no one single persons fault but seriously there is blame to be had here, John Delaney is the 'top' man, he has to take blame, for one, his wage is obscene and disgusting. Secondly, he's let Irish league clubs go to ****, the best two clubs (arguably) on this island are Shamrock Rovers and Cork City, they would be absolutely no more if it was not for the supporters. Thirdly, the success of the Irish team today is solely down to the genuine want and skill and desire of the players to play for Ireland, absolutely nothing other than 'our' players passion and a good manager to boot is to do with our success, seeing this gob****e going onto the pitch after the game is reprehensible. Fourthly, Roy Keane, yeah, he's a bit mental but he knows what the best of the best means (nobody can argue that), he hates what the FAI as an organisation is about and I believe this analysis, they're not professional, they have little idea of what their doing long term, they don't know what's the best facilities and I think will not act for the best of Irish soccer as a whole. My two cents. Fifthly, which has nothing really to do with Delaney is that I think Irish soccer can be awakened, there are so many soccer fans in Ireland today, there is a lot of talent here, I simply can't understand why Irish soccer isn't in better shape than it is.....

P.S. if buying drinks on a train makes you good at running an international organisation than sign me up,
    same ****ing fools that voted FF time and time again buy this crap
    *rant over*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

look, the man isnt perfect, but considering that pretty much every organisation in this country is being run by overpaid incompetents, he is not the worst.

yes he f*cked up with stan, yes he hung robson out to dry, yes he over saw the demise of some clubs in the LOI, yes the fai at times has been a joke, but he has learned from some of those mistakes and i think he at least deserves credit for alot of stuff.

for some on here he can do no right. people lashing him over buying tickets that the estonian fa had sanctioned is just pathetic when the full facts are not known.

he aint perfect, but he has done some good things also that completely get ignored.

and he is not all about buying drinks to please the fans. an irish fan got beaten up in Tallinn last thursday night. he was badly bruised and shaken up. Delaney saw him the following morning and went over to him and asked him was he ok. he then called for the medical staff of the team to come take the man away to make sure he was patched up and there was no damage.

something small, but important in my eyes.
    I've never defended him professionally, I've criticised him many times, particular during the Saipan events

i thought he only became CE in 2004????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

for some on here he can do no right. people lashing him over buying tickets that the estonian fa had sanctioned is just pathetic when the full facts are not known.

Completely agree with this. There's plenty of sticks which can be used to beat Delaney with, but to latch on to something as trivial as buying drinks and tickets for people is trivial
    i thought he only became CE in 2004????

I have no idea when he became CE, but he was certainly heavily involved in events in Saipan. I specifically remember Roy Keane singling him out for criticism

He's also a liar.

He said before the opening of the redeveloped Lansdowne Road that all "ordinary" tickets for the foreseeable future for internationals were sold out and fans would have to buy Vantage Club tickets to get into the games.

I bought a ticket for the first game v Argentina about a week beforehand off Ticketmaster.

This was a shameless attempt to con ordinary punters into paying way over the odds for tickets.

He also promised that the FAI would be debt free when Lansdowne reopened.

:rolleyes:

He's also a liar.

He said before the opening of the redeveloped Lansdowne Road that all "ordinary" tickets for the foreseeable future for internationals were sold out and fans would have to buy Vantage Club tickets to get into the games.

I bought a ticket for the first game v Argentina about a week beforehand off Ticketmaster.

This was a shameless attempt to con ordinary punters into paying way over the odds for tickets.

so the recession is all his fault? ireland still has one of the hightest attendances across europe.

the vantage club was a disaster, but what i blame them for is the fact that over 20% of the stadium is aimed at the premium/corporate. that should never have been agreed, but i suppose the rugby had alot to do with that.

the fai finances are in pretty good shape considering there is a stadium worth 400million being paid for and qualification will improve that even further.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

an irish fan got beaten up in Tallinn last thursday night. he was badly bruised and shaken up. Delaney saw him the following morning and went over to him and asked him was he ok. he then called for the medical staff of the team to come take the man away to make sure he was patched up and there was no damage.

Ah sure, that's grand so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

He's also a liar.

Also, remember his "The league of Ireland is in great shape" comment? Every LoI mananager, journalist and fan were wondering what he was talking about and over the next 2 years about 10 clubs went bust, or very very close to it.
    Reminded me of that Iraq minister of communications or whatever he was. "there are no american troops in Iraq" when the tanks are behind him

Even to ignore some of his antics and mistakes, which seem to be acknowledged by most posters on here; how in the name of God can he justify his outlandish salary. Its bad enough having him as the CEO, at a time when the game in Ireland is dying for the lack of funding, but the size of his pay packet is almost criminal.

Why is it that any success enjoyed by the national team instantly turns the critical faculty section of most Irish football supporters' minds into putty?

It's going to be a long, long summer.

yes i do agree, the salary is sickening.

does anybody know if he took a paycut the last time and will take one again?

He wants Trap to take a 50% pay cut. But not a chance of Delaney taking one that big.

• Advertisement

I could be wrong but I think his pay was reduced from €425,000 to €400,000. It was his own decision, but was way too little, another €200,000 would have been more in order. Think what that extra money would do. How many coaches would that employ in the FAI.

I could be wrong but I think his pay was reduced from €425,000 to €400,000. It was his own decision, but was way too little, another €200,000 would have been more in order. Think what that extra money would do. How many coaches would that employ in the FAI.

your probably talking about 3-5 coaches maximum to be fair when you take all costs into account.

your probably talking about 3-5 coaches maximum to be fair when you take all costs into account.

And how many more kids would benefit from an extra 3-5 more coaches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Once again I love the way the posters on boards.ie deem that everyone on a high salary is undeserving of it.

I can well image that if Delaney was only ever seen in the directors box /corporate areas on an away trip the people here would criticise him for being out of touch with the fans.

As I have said before, at the end of the day Delayeny will be remembered for being part of the group that got the Aviva built and for delivering Trap, the manager who (at least) got us to our first European Championship since 1988.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

Once again I love the way the posters on boards.ie deem that everyone on a high salary is undeserving of it.

I can well image that if Delaney was only ever seen in the directors box /corporate areas on an away trip the people here would criticise him for being out of touch with the fans.

As I have said before, at the end of the day Delayeny will be remembered for being part of the group that got the Aviva built and for delivering Trap, the manager who (at least) got us to our first European Championship since 1988.

The FAI don't own the Aviva, they paid approx 18% of the overall cost to become joint tenants for a period of time. When that times up they have diddly. The association is in financial trouble and laid off twelve staff previously and another two on the very day he was flaunting his wealth throwing money behind a bar.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Don't forget he also gave us staunton, although he denies it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is that not where the chief executive is meant to be?

Some unpatriotic killing of buzzes going on here - esapcially from the LOI whingers. Are yis Irish or what?

Try that next summer and you will be up against the wall. Mark my words.

West Brit buzz-killers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

My understanding, and I'm open to correction, is he controls what salary he is given.
    This sounds nuts.

Sorry if already posted but is this how the CEO of football in this country should be carrying on? Classless goon

The FAI don't own the Aviva, they paid approx 18% of the overall cost to become joint tenants for a period of time. When that times up they have diddly. The association is in financial trouble and laid off twelve staff previously and another two on the very day he was flaunting his wealth throwing money behind a bar.:rolleyes:

Don't forget the fúck up with selling the premium seats. FAI turned down an offer to sell them all to a 3rd party who would in turn sell them. Delaney decided not to because he thought he'd sell them for 32k each :eek:
    And now in the real world, 3 are harressing people with texts trying to shift them! Even though Delaney said sales are going well

Is that not where the chief executive is meant to be?

And all we would hear from some here is 'Look at that fat cat Delaney , and his prawn sandwiches in the corporate box while Irish fans are going ticket less and being beaten up on the streets of Tallinn, and his 400K salary'

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Don't forget the fúck up with selling the premium seats. FAI turned down an offer to sell them all to a 3rd party who would in turn sell them. Delaney decided not to because he thought he'd sell them for 32k each :eek:
    And now in the real world, 3 are harressing people with texts trying to shift them! Even though Delaney said sales are going well

The FAI were unlucky selling the Vantage Club seats, I am not saying that it was handled correctly but if they had come on the market in 2005 and with a team doing as well as it is under Trap they would have sold much better,

Tell me more about this third party offer, I never heard of it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

And all we would hear from some here is 'Look at that fat cat Delaney , and his prawn sandwiches in the corporate box while Irish fans are going ticket less and being beaten up on the streets of Tallinn, and his 400K salary'

I think the amount of money he pays himself is obscene but if he is the CEO he should act like one

I think the amount of money he pays himself is obscene but if he is the CEO he should act like one

He does not determine his own salary so less of this 'the amount of money he pays himself'

• Advertisement

He does not determine his own salary so less of this 'the amount of money he pays himself'

Yes he does.

look, the man isnt perfect, but considering that pretty much every organisation in this country is being run by overpaid incompetents, he is not the worst.

yes he f*cked up with stan, yes he hung robson out to dry, yes he over saw the demise of some clubs in the LOI, yes the fai at times has been a joke, but he has learned from some of those mistakes and i think he at least deserves credit for alot of stuff.

What has he learned from any of those mistakes? Trap is there and wouldn't be if it wasn't for O'Brien(Delaney has even said that himself)

Clubs are still in Demise in the LOI, Galway, Bohs....

He can't do anything about what he did to Robson because the man is dead.

Stan never helped himself but how Delaney survived that appointment is beyond me.

he aint perfect, but he has done some good things also that completely get ignored.

and he is not all about buying drinks to please the fans. an irish fan got beaten up in Tallinn last thursday night. he was badly bruised and shaken up. Delaney saw him the following morning and went over to him and asked him was he ok. he then called for the medical staff of the team to come take the man away to make sure he was patched up and there was no damage.

You would expect any decent human being to do that.

The FAI were unlucky selling the Vantage Club seats, I am not saying that it was handled correctly but if they had come on the market in 2005 and with a team doing as well as it is under Trap they would have sold much better,

Tell me more about this third party offer, I never heard of it before.

You're basing that on what exactly? We haven't out one game under him at the Aviva and crowds are down since he took over from what I can see.:confused:

Is anyone questions where he sits??

The fact is as the head of the organisation the book stops with him.

He has made numerous mistakes in managerial positions, ticketing prices, making a show of himself, overseeing the disgraceful running of the LOI and grassroots football in this country etc etc

Of course people will be pi**ed off if he gets over 400k, and they should be. It is a sickening sum of money.

You're basing that on what exactly? We haven't out one game under him at the Aviva and crowds are down since he took over from what I can see.:confused:

Ok lets see

2008 - 2011 = recession

2002 - 2007 = Celtic Tiger Boom

2008 - 2011 = Good performances under Trap

2002 - 2007 - Utter s**t under Kerr \Stan

Expect a sell out tonight plus in the first competitive games after Euro 2012

It aint rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Sorry if already posted but is this how the CEO of football in this country should be carrying on? Classless goon

Yes he's showing passion imagine that.

Ok lets see

2008 - 2011 = recession

It aint rocket science.

Do what most organisations do when there is empty seats....Reduce teh prices, do special offers etc...

Off course it will sell out tonight, you will see the return of the event junkie.

I had a block book tickets for close on 15 years but didn't renew when I saw the ticketing structure for Aviva. Nothing has been done to try and get my business back, even with 20 odd thousand at games.

He's claiming credit for what the team achieved by the looks of it. why is he even on the pitch?
    at one point he actually takes a bow. I'm literally running out of words to describe him.

Leave that to the team and managment, like Trap in his post match interview.

A CEO's job is to run the organisation properly.....

• Advertisement

Ok lets see

2008 - 2011 = recession

It aint rocket science.

Kerr's results weren't much different to Trap's. Trap has got lucky with getting the mighty Estonia in a play off. We have never beaten any of the top 2 seeds other than ourselves in any of his groups (Russia, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Italy) so not sure how you would class that as 'good performances' because the crowds generally was been poor and that's largely down to the dire football. He got lucky with the draw but our results in the groups and performances have been nothing to write home about and the crowds would indicate that to be the case.

Advertisement