Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mr binman bad news

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    You may be right, my sticker says Dec 11, so I must be with them 1 year.

I still dont have any clear bags, the green and black truck didnt have any today, so I'm going to have to leave.

I've been after new bags as well for the last three weeks without any luck.

I asked the driver for some again last Friday and he said they still hadn't any bags, but that they would take the recyclables in a normal bin bag no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

I've been after new bags as well for the last three weeks without any luck.

I asked the driver for some again last Friday and he said they still hadn't any bags, but that they would take the recyclables in a normal bin bag no problems.

I sent them an email last week and they posted me out some recycling bags a couple of days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭livinonaprayer

Mr Binman have cause me nothing but trouble, I have given them 70 Euros in the past couple of months, and only had my bins collected twice the whole time!

Not only were they unreliable, but the final straw was when they fly tipped OTHER PEOPLE'S rubbish outside our door, which they eventually collected but still... Shocking.

Moved to a different company who have been a hundred percent more reliable, thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

I had nothing but trouble with them myself. Only collected bins about 50% of the time and wanted 100% of the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

Mr Binman have cause me nothing but trouble, I have given them 70 Euros in the past couple of months, and only had my bins collected twice the whole time!

Not only were they unreliable, but the final straw was when they fly tipped OTHER PEOPLE'S rubbish outside our door, which they eventually collected but still... Shocking.

Moved to a different company who have been a hundred percent more reliable, thank God.

who are you with now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

dayshah wrote: »
    I've no problem with foreign workers. My problem is purely with how Mr. Binman treats his workers, foreign or Irish; and this has been well documented.

Anyway, if he was as efficient as he claims he wouldn't be in the trouble he is now.

Mr Binman bullied the Unions before they could bully him, actually he wiped the floor with them every time they tried to get a strangle hold on His company, be honest you have an idealistic lefty anti capitalist point of view that comes across in a lot of your posts, nothing wrong with that !but don't dress it up as pro the downtrodden, or some other egalitarian ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Mr Binman bullied the Unions before they could bully him, actually he wiped the floor with them every time they tried to get a strangle hold on His company, be honest you have an idealistic lefty anti capitalist point of view that comes across in a lot of your posts, nothing wrong with that !but don't dress it up as pro the downtrodden, or some other egalitarian ****e.

The right to join a union is a basic human right. Binmen aren't exactly privileged workers.

No employer has a right to bully his workers, and every worker has a constitutional right to join a union to prevent such bullying.

There is a huge difference between bullying staff, and bargaining over wages.

Anyway, being pro-union is not the same as being anti-capitalist. I don't have a big problem with private operators so long as they treat their staff with respect, do the job they are supposed to, and can pay their creditors.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The right to join a union is a basic human right. Binmen aren't exactly privileged workers.

No employer has a right to bully his workers, and every worker has a constitutional right to join a union to prevent such bullying.

Anyway, being pro-union is not the same as being anti-capitalist. I don't have a big problem with private operators so long as they treat their staff with respect, do the job they are supposed to, and can pay their creditors.

Not meaning to offend, but your pretty pro unions IIRC. Didn't you defend them in the past on this forum in some other discussion? Cant recall what it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

It is unfortunate that Waterford has a history of union militancy.

Sully wrote: »
    Not meaning to offend, but your pretty pro unions IIRC. Didn't you defend them in the past on this forum in some other discussion? Cant recall what it was?

Not offended at all :) I don't support all union actions, but I 100% support people's right to be a member, and to be represented by, a union.

Freedom of association is a basic human right, something a lot of people seem to forget.

• Advertisement

So I'm right then! Grand

Chiparus wrote: »
    It is unfortunate that Waterford has a history of union militancy.

Well they certainly can't be blamed for Mr. Binman's problems.

So I'm right then! Grand

I wouldn't say you are right about dressing things up as egalitarian.
    As most binmen have lower pay than Mr. Binman, higher wages would make things more equal. The Mr. Binman workers are the perfect example of what can happen when a union is not recognised. TalkTalk is a similar case.

Also I wouldn't agree with the idea of bully or be bullied. The vast majority of unions have a good relationship with employers.

So I'm right then! Grand

I wouldn't say you are right about dressing things up as egalitarian.
    As most binmen have lower pay than Mr. Binman, higher wages would make things more equal. The Mr. Binman workers are the perfect example of what can happen when a union is not recognised. TalkTalk is a similar case.

Also I wouldn't agree with the idea of bully or be bullied. The vast majority of unions have a good relationship with employers.
    The vast majority of union members work in the civil service where you can lose a few billion and not get sacked, I have no problems with unions you have a problem with anything to do with management, your like a throw back to the seventies,are you sure your not a card carring member of the SWP, ?

The vast majority of union members work in the civil service where you can lose a few billion and not get sacked, I have no problems with unions you have a problem with anything to do with management, your like a throw back to the seventies,are you sure your not a card carring member of the SWP, ?

There is just so much ignorance about unions. Union membership is split roughly equally between public and private sector. Because the public sector is smaller there is a higher density (close to 80%) there.

I don't have a problem with management, I've a problem with bad management, and if Mr. Binman was a good manager he wouldn't be in the current difficulties. Bad managers don't take responsibility and so like to blame others, such as unions or government. Unfortunately, Ireland has a mediocre level of management ability (the MNEs are an exception), something that the media totally ignores. Here is a link.

As I said, in most workplaces (including in the private sector) there is a good relationship between workers and management, so you don't here of any problems. Mr. Binman is more like a throwback to the 1910s.

You don't need to be a 1970s Trotskyist throwback to support the right of people to join unions. A 1980s throwback is sufficient.

I think I know who you are, at least I do know a guy who can talk for hours and say shag all, he reminds me of you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bad news for the opposition anyway...
    KPMG confident Mister Binman can be sold
    The reciever appointed to Mister Binman believes that a buyer for the company will be found in the coming weeks.KPMG were appointed recievers after Mister Binman failed to retain court protection following action by Bank of Scotland.Services have been maintained and reciever Kieran Wallace says they will be advertising the sale of the company in the coming days

http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/133883.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Sully wrote: »

They can't even spell recievers (sic) correctly!
    It just gets worse!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

The reverse is actually the case , according to the latest CSO report Union density is currently 34 % giving multi sectoral union membership nationwide of approx 600,000 - which tallies with ICTU's statistics - of that number approx. 280,000 are Public Sector employees and the balance are Private Sector employees.

Hopefully , with the promised legislation on mandatory Union legislation ( contained in the Plan for Government ) we will see a further density increase as finally our outdated Industrial relations are brought in line with other EC countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

deise blue wrote: »
    Hopefully , with the promised legislation on mandatory Union legislation ( contained in the Plan for Government ) .

The fact that it's in the plan for government suggests that there's no hope of it happening based on the experience of the last few months!

• Advertisement

letsbet wrote: »
    The fact that it's in the plan for government suggests that there's no hope of it happening based on the experience of the last few months!

I do agree that the FG rump of the current Government may be tempted to long finger this promised legislation but I believe that the Unions have basically nullified this tactic by raising the matter with the International Labour Organisation , whose rulings are binding on both our Government & the judiciary - the Union's submissions are to be heard next month.

Indeed our rather restrictive Industrial laws regarding Trade Union recognition were raised in the UN recently !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Hopefully , with the promised legislation on mandatory Union legislation ( contained in the Plan for Government ) we will see a further density increase as finally our outdated Industrial relations are brought in line with other EC countries.

Do you know what this legislation proposes?

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Do you know what this legislation proposes?

Under current legislation employees are constitutionally entitled to join a Trade Union but employers are not obliged to recognise such Unions's right to collectively bargain on behalf of such members.

Under the promised legislation employers will be mandatorily obliged to recognise Trade Unions & their right to collectively bargain thus changing the Industrial Relations landscape in this country beyond all recognition.

Hopefully this will make Union membership far more attractive to prospective members.

Hopefully this will make Union membership far more attractive to prospective members.

And guarantee the €140,000.00 plus per annum of the bearded ones!

And guarantee the €140,000.00 plus per annum of the bearded ones!

Out of interest, what do you think is a reasonable salary for the likes of Jack O'Connor.

Its less than €140,000 and is certainly not guaranteed.

I do not have an opinion on this, nor would I voice one if I had, its his and his employers business, but I do resent that particular gentleman, voicing his opinion ad nauseum on the large salaries of this fella or that fella, when all along he was in the same pay bracket but alluded he was one of the common men! that smacks of plain old hypocrisy to me.

Mod Note

Love em or loathe em, the Waterford Forum probably isn't the right place to be talking about Unions and it hasn't really covered the impact on Mr Binman (at least not in the last few posts). Plus, comments like "the bearded ones" are seen as offensive and in the general Politics forum, are not allowed. I tend to agree, I don't think there is any reason to get into name calling or making offensive remarks.

So, if somehow there is room for a discussion on how Unions impact or failed to impact on Mr Binman, fire away but keep the nasty comments out of it. Otherwise, lets just keep it on topic.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Anyone try cancel with Mr. Binman? DO you have to give 30 days notice if your out of contract? I'm going to use up all my clear bags then move to a cheaper option.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Anyone try cancel with Mr. Binman? DO you have to give 30 days notice if your out of contract? I'm going to use up all my clear bags then move to a cheaper option.

If you are out of contract you don't need to give any notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

To be fair the private banks have cost us far far more, and Fingers got his bonus all the same.

Advertisement